Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 30GB SSD large enough for Windows 7 64?


27 Mar 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
30GB SSD large enough for Windows 7 64?

I want to make the move to SSD on my notebook. However, I am researching and seeing that a 30GB SSD may be to small for Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium especially with future windows updates. I am trying to reduce my current Windows 7 64 install on my original 320GB drive to see how small of a footprint I can accomplish, but I end up only reducing the install to 32GB after all the tips I've read out there.

I have uninstalled everything I can think of and turned of system restore. Any other tips and/or advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Mar 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Any other tips and/or advice is much appreciated. Thank you!
Hi.

You could use a program like VLite to remove additional Windows components, but I would think 30GB is still too small.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

A fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit will be under 12GB in size. You can save even more by turning of hibernation.

30GB is a bit cramped though, you'll want 64GB or so really. Buy a Kingston SSD Now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Mar 2010   #4

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FZ21Z View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Any other tips and/or advice is much appreciated. Thank you!
Hi.

You could use a program like VLite to remove additional Windows components, but I would think 30GB is still too small.
Interesting, I did not know of Vlite. I am trying it out now. Thanks for the quick reply!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

I have to say that even using vlite, 30gb is too close for comfort IMO. I'm of the view that an ssd needs a good bit of free space to perform optimally. I also don't agree with installing programs on a different drive or even partition to the os and as such, in my view, 30gb is too small.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM
 
 

FWIW, on my 64 GB SSD, I normally have 13 GB free.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
I'm of the view that an ssd needs a good bit of free space to perform optimally.
Doesn't that count for all drives? I've always had it in my head that you need to leave 20GB or 15% of the drive free to run optimally.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2010   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

30GB is ample for the OS. Mine runs at 17 to 18GB with hibernation off and page file on. And I have a LOT of programs installed. However, on a laptop you also need room for data - and then 30GB may be too tight. I would recommend the 80GB Intel for a laptop ( I am just about to install that on one of my laptops). And I am not an Intel fan because I als have OCZ. Btw: the 60GB OCZ is faster than the 30GB OCZ (both Vertex). The OCZ 60GB Vertex Turbo is currently on sale for $169 (with MIR). It is usually $299 - but hurry, only 3 more days.
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FZ21Z View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
I'm of the view that an ssd needs a good bit of free space to perform optimally.
Doesn't that count for all drives? I've always had it in my head that you need to leave 20GB or 15% of the drive free to run optimally.
This is more true for a mechanical hard drive than an SSD. A mechanical hard drive relies on the spinning disk to bring data to the head. These drives write from inside to out, and the further from the center you get, the longer the access times are as it takes longer for the disk to spin to the head.

For an SSD this is a non-issue, I don't know how much of a difference there is between a full and half-full drive, but it's not much.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FZ21Z View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
I'm of the view that an ssd needs a good bit of free space to perform optimally.
Doesn't that count for all drives? I've always had it in my head that you need to leave 20GB or 15% of the drive free to run optimally.
This is more true for a mechanical hard drive than an SSD. A mechanical hard drive relies on the spinning disk to bring data to the head. These drives write from inside to out, and the further from the center you get, the longer the access times are as it takes longer for the disk to spin to the head.

For an SSD this is a non-issue, I don't know how much of a difference there is between a full and half-full drive, but it's not much.
It's definately NOT a non-issue for SSDs. Performance degradation is minimised with TRIM however it is a factor to consider.

This is a great article you may find interesting...SSD performance -- is a slowdown inevitable? - Intel, nand, solid state drives, storage - Techworld
there should be an update to this soon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 30GB SSD large enough for Windows 7 64?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: 30GB SSD large enough for Windows 7 64?
Thread Forum
Solved Using windirstat it shows 30gb for c drive, but 20 is missing General Discussion
30GB SSD Suggestions! Hardware & Devices
Large, Extra Large Icons won't load General Discussion
Large & extra large icons blank General Discussion
Emergency - My Hard Drive is filling up @ 30GB/Hr. General Discussion
OCZ Vertex 30gb SSD or 2-3 WD Caviar Blacks RAID 0 Hardware & Devices
Will Windows 7 RC fit on a 30gb drive? Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33