|10 Apr 2010||#1|
| || |
New Build, Install Hangs "Starting Windows" 2ND reboot
So, I just put together my new system and after a few days of messing with settings in the BIOS trying to get windows 7 to install properly, I figured its time to make a thread.
Intel i7 930
3x2gb Patriot Viper DDR 1333 (only using 2gb for install)
1 x 150gb (brand new) VelociRaptor
1 x 150gb (3 years old) Raptor
1 x 300gb (5 years old) caviar
1 x 1tb (brand new) caviar
Geforce 260 GTX
3 optical drives (i've tried installing on all 3, with no success)
I had vista on it fine from the old raptor, but i decided I'll upgrade to Windows 7, put the OS on the old raptor and programs / games on the new raptor (in 2 partitions).
Everything installs fine (after disabling the floppy in the BIOS) but when I get to "Starting Windows" on the 2nd reboot (after completing installation is finished) it just hangs. The little dots all come together to make the windows logo, it waves around once or twice, then just stops. I've left it running overnight and it doesn't budge - trust me, its frozen.
If I boot it in safe mode, it freezes at classpnp.sys and after a few minutes tells me that setup is not yet complete and that I have to restart.
Things I've tried:
* I'm using only 2gb of memory
* I've tried to install on both the raptor and velociraptor (to test if something was wrong with the drive(s))
* disabled floppy in BIOS
* set hdd S.M.A.R.T. compatibility to enabled
* set hdd mode to AHCI
* set all 32/64 bit controllers to 64 bit (probably not necessary, but i didn't think it could hurt lol)
* copying the disk and reburning at 3x (the slowest i can) on quality verbatim media
* switching out various sticks of memory (to ensure it wasn't a bad stick).
* Updated BIOS
* ran setup from different optical drives (two sata, one ide)
* searching google
Possible signs of error during install I've encountered:
* when the actual install beings, it skips "copying files" and goes right to "expanding files", then hangs for about 5 minutes before showing any progress.
* 1 out of the 10 or so installs stopped prematurely saying that windows cannot install on the selected partition
* safe mode hangs on CLASSPNP.sys for a good 5 minutes (before telling me i need to complete installation in normal mode).
* Repair mode shows windows in the D:\ drive (why not C:\?)
When I go into Startup Repair, it gives me the following error (that cannot be fixed automatically)
Problem Event Name: StartupRapairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 0
Problem Signature 05: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: FailureDuringSetup
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: New Build, Install Hangs "Starting Windows" 2ND reboot|
|Windows 7 Install hangs after "Starting Windows" when booting from USB||Installation & Setup|
|Windows 7 won't start, hangs on "Starting Windows" screen, no logo||General Discussion|
|Windows hangs on "starting windows" screen after software install||BSOD Help and Support|
|Computer hangs at "Starting Windows" screen for over one minute.||Installation & Setup|
|System boot up occasionally hangs at "Starting Windows"||BSOD Help and Support|
|x64 Hangs on "Starting Windows": Run Out of Ideas||BSOD Help and Support|
|RC1 Install hangs at "Starting Windows"||Installation & Setup|