Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing W7 to a HDD

17 Apr 2010   #1
Copyright

Windows 7 x64 7229
 
 
Installing W7 to a HDD

I need to install W7 onto a HDD that will be used as the primary HDD for another computer. I have no way to install it using physical means (USB, DVD, etc). I can connect this drive to my current computer (as a slave drive) and I have W7 installation CD, files, etc. How can I install W7 onto this drive (which will be used for another computer)?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Apr 2010   #2
not so gray matter

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

You should be able to connect the hdd to your computer, insert and boot the W7 dvd, install it as your normally would. Once you get to the log in portion, just shut down the computer without opening Windows and it'll be fresh for that person.

I'm not sure exactly at what point the installation no longer needs the dvd, but someone should be able to tell you that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #3
Copyright

Windows 7 x64 7229
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
You should be able to connect the hdd to your computer, insert and boot the W7 dvd, install it as your normally would. Once you get to the log in portion, just shut down the computer without opening Windows and it'll be fresh for that person.

I'm not sure exactly at what point the installation no longer needs the dvd, but someone should be able to tell you that.
Wouldn't that mess up the bootloader that I already have on this computer? (If that sounds really stupid, it probably is, because I'm not so good with computers. :P)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Apr 2010   #4
caretaker

win7 64bit Ultimate
 
 

The easiest way is to remove your drive and stick in the blank drive then install 7. swop drives and that way you won't get the duel boot option, if thats what you want???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #5
Copyright

Windows 7 x64 7229
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
The easiest way is to remove your drive and stick in the blank drive then install 7. swop drives and that way you won't get the duel boot option, if thats what you want???
I can't do that because this is a laptop and the other computer is a desktop so it has a 3.5 in (I think that's the number) drive. I'll try the other method mentioned above though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #6
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Copyright View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
The easiest way is to remove your drive and stick in the blank drive then install 7. swop drives and that way you won't get the duel boot option, if thats what you want???
I can't do that because this is a laptop and the other computer is a desktop so it has a 3.5 in (I think that's the number) drive. I'll try the other method mentioned above though.
That will only work if your core drivers ... IDE, ACPI, etc. are the same on both machines. What you're likely to end up with is a guided tour of driver hell trying to do it this way.

Can you not set up an install on a flash drive and install it properly on the desktop?
Will the desktop machine boot to flash?
Bigger question... does the desktop machine not have a DVD drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #7
gregrocker

 

You would need to install it with only the target HD plugged on another desktop with the same number of cores. I do this when I cannot get Win7 to install and have no more time to troubleshoot, and it has worked every time so far.

If it will start, all of the drivers swap out in quite a show, requesting several restarts. It is not like XP which requires a repair install from boot to start on new hardware, which is good because there is not a repair install from boot in Win7!

Have you posted your install failure for troubleshooting to see if you can get it to install first? What is the exact problem with attempting to install to the problem machine, both with DVD and flash stick?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #8
Copyright

Windows 7 x64 7229
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Have you posted your install failure for troubleshooting to see if you can get it to install first? What is the exact problem with attempting to install to the problem machine, both with DVD and flash stick?
The machine has no DVD drive, and for some reason when I try to boot from flash stick (I followed one of the tutorials), it said something along the lines of "No bootable media found."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #9
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Copyright View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Have you posted your install failure for troubleshooting to see if you can get it to install first? What is the exact problem with attempting to install to the problem machine, both with DVD and flash stick?
The machine has no DVD drive, and for some reason when I try to boot from flash stick (I followed one of the tutorials), it said something along the lines of "No bootable media found."
Probably because the flash drive wasn't prepared properly...

It's pretty simple really, but you have to do it from a Win7 machine...

1) Format the flash drive with fat32

2) Copy the win7 files over to the flash drive
If you're working from DVD must drag and drop the entire DVD content
If you're working from an ISO, you have to extract the files first.

3) Now from the flash drive, make a copy of the BOOT folder on the desktop
This part's easy... just drag it over and drop it.

4) Open this new boot folder in a command shell...
WinKey+R -> CMD -> OK
Now type CD %DESKTOP%\BOOT

5) Type BOOTSECT /NT60 Z: <= supstitute the flash drive's actual letter for the Z

That's it... you should be good to go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #10
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Copyright View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Have you posted your install failure for troubleshooting to see if you can get it to install first? What is the exact problem with attempting to install to the problem machine, both with DVD and flash stick?
The machine has no DVD drive, and for some reason when I try to boot from flash stick (I followed one of the tutorials), it said something along the lines of "No bootable media found."
Did you follow the instructions here carefully? In particular, make sure that you mark the partition as active as described in Step 10 of the Tutorial. I have used this Tutorial today to make my own bootable USB keys, and I have formatted them as NTFS without problems. I have tested them, and they are all working.

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing W7 to a HDD




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Updates Not Installing : Error Unknown (Sits on Installing)
Hi, To give you some back story, I built my computer the end of August 2012. Ran Smoothly. I decided to get a 60 gig SSD to be the partition that stored Windows. I didnt have much stored on the Main HD so I deleted my original 2TB HD and tried installing on the SSD... found that the SSD was bad...
Windows Updates & Activation
Help Installing a New OS onto my SSD.
Hey, I recently purchased a Samsung 840 SSD, and a new copy of windows 7. I currently have windows 32 bit installed on my PC, but then new copy I bought is a 64 bit version. If anyone could run me through the installation process of the new version of windows that would be great. I want to get...
Installation & Setup
Installing XP with VirtualBox, Then Installing Programs to Virtual OS?
I have 7 Ultimate right now, I want to install XP through VirtualBox, which is all well and fine, I know how to do that. But my question is; can I install programs that will be using XP? Say I give the virtual OS like 30gb of space, around 2gb of RAM, then while running XP in VirtualBox, can I...
Installation & Setup
Sp1 is not installing for me
I have tried 10 times yesterday and once in last ten minutes to install sp1 using windows update on my pc(on laptop atm to post here). I turned off all open programs except windows update.turned off virus and firewall.So far i keep getting unknown error.It downloads as follows 0percent at o0mb fo...
Windows Updates & Activation
Installing Updates and Installing features part of windows setup menu
How do I installing something during the Windows Setup Menu's Installing features and Installing updates? John:D:thumbsup::what:
Installation & Setup
Avg 9 is not installing after installing windows xp
:cry: AVG 9 IS NOT INSTALLING AFTER INSTALLING :orb: WINDOWS XP I HAVE INCLUDED THE REPORT WHAT IT SAYS.:cry: i have installed from that setup previously
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App