Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Vista reinstall

18 Apr 2010   #1
OneSerious

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
Vista reinstall

Hi everybody,

Okay, my dad has a laptop, it's pretty low spec and has Vista basic. It's running like a dog and I was looking to try and install XP. Since I don't know anybody with an XP disc or own one myself it's out of the question. So I was going to settle with reinstalling Vista. Turns out Toshiba didn't provide us with a disc. There was a restore partition but it's gone. So, is there away to create some sort of recovery disc that can let me do a clean install of Vista or am I snookered?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Apr 2010   #2
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
Hi everybody,

Okay, my dad has a laptop, it's pretty low spec and has Vista basic. It's running like a dog and I was looking to try and install XP. Since I don't know anybody with an XP disc or own one myself it's out of the question. So I was going to settle with reinstalling Vista. Turns out Toshiba didn't provide us with a disc. There was a restore partition but it's gone. So, is there away to create some sort of recovery disc that can let me do a clean install of Vista or am I snookered?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
I'd say you're pretty much screwed on that one...

You're going to have to do a clean install of something, but what?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #3
OneSerious

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
I'd say you're pretty much screwed on that one...

You're going to have to do a clean install of something, but what?
I have both Vista and 7 install discs but they are x64 and Home Premium. I know a guy with Vista 32 but his is also Home Premium and there is no way this laptop will handle it. I hate the way these manufacturers don't supply the OS disc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Apr 2010   #4
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

A computer user's best friend is always having a collection of Install CD/DVD's
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #5
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

There's no such thing as a Vista Home Premium disc.

All the MS install discs contain all editions.

It might say Home Premium on it - but all editions are on there. If you enter the Basic edition product key during installation - that is what you will get.

If you skip entering the product key ( also uncheck activate automatically online ) you will be presented with a list of the Editions - highlight the one you want - obviously Basic, and continue. You have 30 days to enter the key.

You can use your friend's 32 bit install disc - with the product key off the side of your dad's machine.

You need to d/l and copy to cd the drivers for the machine from the manufacturer website.

If you use the key off the side of the machine - you probably need to call the manufacturer ( NOT microsoft) to activate.

Otherwise , you can extract the product key and activation code from the HD , install Vista Basic edition , put the key and activation code back on the HD - no need to call the manufacturer.




Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
I'd say you're pretty much screwed on that one...

You're going to have to do a clean install of something, but what?
I have both Vista and 7 install discs but they are x64 and Home Premium. I know a guy with Vista 32 but his is also Home Premium and there is no way this laptop will handle it. I hate the way these manufacturers don't supply the OS disc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #6
OneSerious

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
There's no such thing as a Vista Home Premium disc.

All the MS install discs contain all editions.

It might say Home Premium on it - but all editions are on there. If you enter the Basic edition product key during installation - that is what you will get.

If you skip entering the product key ( also uncheck activate automatically online ) you will be presented with a list of the Editions - highlight the one you want - obviously Basic, and continue. You have 30 days to enter the key.

You can use your friend's 32 bit install disc - with the product key off the side of your dad's machine.

You need to d/l and copy to cd the drivers for the machine from the manufacturer website.

If you use the key off the side of the machine - you probably need to call the manufacturer ( NOT microsoft) to activate.

Otherwise , you can extract the product key and activation code from the HD , install Vista Basic edition , put the key and activation code back on the HD - no need to call the manufacturer.
Thanks buddy, this sounds like the easiest route to take. I'll give it a go. Much appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #7
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Here is a Windows Vista key finder in case you need to extract it from the current installation. Works also on XP and Windows7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2010   #8
OneSerious

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Cheers bud.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2010   #9
OneSerious

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Just wanted to say I got the Laptop sorted out. It's running like a dream. Cheers to everybody for the input. You all earned yourselves some rep.

Cheers guys!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2010   #10
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Great news.

How did you do it?

Did you use your friend's dvd and the key off the sticker-how did you get it to activate?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Vista reinstall




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Reinstall XP over Vista: Would it run any better?
Hi everyone! My family's got 3 computers: One that is about to bust because it's 10 years old, a 4 year old laptop that's slow, and mine. Anyway, the four year old computer is really slow, and I reckon if you would format it, and then reinstall XP over it, would that make it any faster? I know this...
Installation & Setup
Dual Boot Vista/Win 7 - Can't Boot to Win 7 After Vista Reinstall
Actually it's a quad boot but I am sure the principle is the same. I formatted and reinstalled my main Vista default system and now, although I can access the 2 Win 7 partitions OK, I can't boot into them. I get a black screen with a lot of writing and... windows\system32\winload.exe ...
Installation & Setup
reinstall vista
hello I have win vista on my computer, and I want to reinstall it in XP, please explain me what changhes must I do in BOIOS before reinstallation? and how must I create partition for XP throught the reinstallation????
Installation & Setup
W7 prep - Vista reinstall - missing 10GB
Hi all, My Vista over the last 1-2 years has been performing badly, I mean *really* badly. Think my HD was a bit messed up. Anyway, in prep for W7 install, I decided to get a new (blank) internal HD. I installed Vista Ultimate onto a 50GB partition (it took a lot of time and effort since I...
Installation & Setup
If I reinstall vista...
and restore my backup, will my computer be exactly as it was, since the backup was made with Vista? BTW, I did NOT use the Easy Transfer Wizard:(
General Discussion
MS wants us to reinstall Vista and then Win 7.
http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/07/delivering-a-quality-upgrade-experience.aspx
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:54.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App