Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Two Drives: C with Win 7 and D with XP

20 Apr 2010   #1
gbalch

Windows 7
 
 
Two Drives: C with Win 7 and D with XP

I have read most of the posts regarding dual boot and I see nothing that addresses my situation. I have Windows 7 64bit pro installed on 320GB Drive C and Windows XP 32bit Pro installed on 1TB Drive D. To boot from XP I have to go into BIOS setup and change the boot drive. That's time consuming and cumbersome.

Does anyone know of a 3rd party boot utility program that would give me a choice of startomg up either Win 7 or Win XP OS when I boot up? I know I could dual partition my 1TB drive and reinstall Win 7, but that my last resort.
And by the way Mr. Windows 7, that virtual PC that lets me run XP from within Win 7........ is a piece of crap!

Appreciate any suggestions.

gbalch


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Apr 2010   #2
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gbalch View Post
I have read most of the posts regarding dual boot and I see nothing that addresses my situation. I have Windows 7 64bit pro installed on 320GB Drive C and Windows XP 32bit Pro installed on 1TB Drive D. To boot from XP I have to go into BIOS setup and change the boot drive. That's time consuming and cumbersome.

Does anyone know of a 3rd party boot utility program that would give me a choice of startomg up either Win 7 or Win XP OS when I boot up? I know I could dual partition my 1TB drive and reinstall Win 7, but that my last resort.
And by the way Mr. Windows 7, that virtual PC that lets me run XP from within Win 7........ is a piece of crap!

Appreciate any suggestions.

gbalch
Yes, there is. Download EasyBCD 2.0, and manually add the XP entry in Windows 7.

You will need to register with the site first, but it is free.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2010   #3
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

You needn't change the boot order in BIOS every time, just set your preferred HD to boot first (after DVD drive) then if you want to boot the other HD, use the key given on bootup screen for Boot Menu to trigger the other HD instead.

If you will post back your make computer, we'll look up what key it is that you press at bootup.

Otherwise use EasyBCD to create a Windows-managed Dual Boot but it is harder to extricate later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Apr 2010   #4
gbalch

Windows 7
 
 
EasyBCD 2.0 DDoes the trick

Thanks Jonathan,
I downloaded EasyBCD 2.0 Beta and it did the job for me. I now get two boot up options, as I wanted.
For your info, I had also downloaded Acronis Disk Director Suite 11, but found it very intimidating, so much so that I did not even try to use it. So, I decided to give EasyBCD 2.0 a try. It is very easy to set up two different OS on two different drives..... don't know about two partitions on same drive.

Thanks again.
GBalch
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #5
gbalch

Windows 7
 
 
No dual boot option in BIOS Setup

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You needn't change the boot order in BIOS every time, just set your preferred HD to boot first (after DVD drive) then if you want to boot the other HD, use the key given on bootup screen for Boot Menu to trigger the other HD instead.

If you will post back your make computer, we'll look up what key it is that you press at bootup.

Otherwise use EasyBCD to create a Windows-managed Dual Boot but it is harder to extricate later.
Gregrocker,
Thanks for your response, but my BIOS lets me set up a main boot drive only. I can change the boot drives, but it is a cumbersome process. EasyBCD 2.0 beta did the job for me.

GBalch
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #6
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gbalch View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You needn't change the boot order in BIOS every time, just set your preferred HD to boot first (after DVD drive) then if you want to boot the other HD, use the key given on bootup screen for Boot Menu to trigger the other HD instead.

If you will post back your make computer, we'll look up what key it is that you press at bootup.

Otherwise use EasyBCD to create a Windows-managed Dual Boot but it is harder to extricate later.
Gregrocker,
Thanks for your response, but my BIOS lets me set up a main boot drive only. I can change the boot drives, but it is a cumbersome process. EasyBCD 2.0 beta did the job for me.

GBalch
Since you have an Asus motherboard, I doubt that is true. As far as I know, all Asus MBs have a hotkey to enter the BBS Popup Menu. On mine, it is F8, but as Gregrocker indicated, this will vary, and it should be stated on the first screen of the BIOS run which to use. Having the OSs on separate drives as you have is the most reliable way to multi-boot. If you install a boot loader, it may become the weak link that will prevent you from booting any OS, instead of providing a backup to work from. I would recommend that you look closer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2010   #7
gbalch

Windows 7
 
 
You are correct on the F8 key.

Hey, Gregrocker and Seekermeister,

You both are correct about using the F8 key option. I had totally forgotten about that option. Using the F8 key gives me the option to boot up from any of my hard drives or CD/DVD drives.
I kind of like the EasyBCD beta 2 screen better though.... it is only one step, whereas the F8 key option is 2 steps.
Thanks for your help.

Gbalch
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Two Drives: C with Win 7 and D with XP




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Multiple drives, One Desktop, all drives recognized in network
Hi All, I have (4) hard drives that already have Windows 7 installed on each. My rig is a custom build, so as for Motherboard, I have: Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Assassin (has two 6GB/s SATA ports, and four 3 GB/s SATA ports) if not mistaken. I would put eligible drives on the 6 GB/s ports,...
General Discussion
All Flash Drives & External Hard Drives NOT ACCESSIBLE?
I set up a new computer. Windows 7 Pro 64x Everything was fine but then I connected a flash drive to it and I get: Location Not Available H:\ is not accessible. Access is denied If I go into the properties to the “security” tab, it says “you do not have permission to view or edit this...
Hardware & Devices
Flash drives and external hard drives
I have windows 7 pro and recently I have not been able to open up a new folder on any external hard drive or flash drive that I use with my computer. When I use these same flash and external hard drives in another computer it works fine, my initial thought is, there is something disabled in my...
Hardware & Devices
Drives - Hide or Show Empty Drives in Computer Folder
How to Hide or Show Empty Drives in Windows 7 and Windows 8 This tutorial will show you how to have empty removable drives to show or hide in the Computer or This PC folder in Windows 7 and Windows 8. To Hide or Show Empty Drives using Folder Options 1. Open Folder Options in Windows...
Tutorials
Detecting drives; Done, No Drives Found - Error and Slow startup
Hey. When I start up my PC everything goes very slowly, things "chops" or lagged as most say. It comes up a menu that says: JMicron Technology Corp.. PCI Express to SATA1 HOST Controller ROM v1.02 Copyright © 2005-2010. JMicron Technology Corp..
Hardware & Devices
Internal SATA drives are treated as removable drives
On my Windoiws 7 Ultimate desktop PC, all my SATA hard drives are show up as removable from day 1. This is not a big problem but an anonyance. When I click "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media", all my fixed drives are listed along with the USB drive. Anyway to change the drive type of my...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App