Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Removed my Vista hard drive, now Windows 7 won't Boot?

01 May 2010   #1
Snow Hound

Windows 7
 
 
Removed my Vista hard drive, now Windows 7 won't Boot?

Hey everyone. I obtained a student copy of Windows 7 back in October like many of us did, and like many of us, I installed as a clean install, not an upgrade. Or so I thought.

I was running Windows 7 for months before I decided to finally remove the Vista harddrive (I installed Windows 7 on the Intel 80GB X25M.) Apparently, when I removed the drive, I wasn't able to boot into Windows 7. Now I thought I had done a clean install of Windows 7.

I think I should mention that during bootup, my Bios gives me two OS's to choose from, and they both say Windows 7. But, only one actually worked. The second choice would just bring me back to my Bios rebooting and brought me back to the OS choice screen.

So for now, I have reconnected my Vista harddrive so I am able to use my install of Windows 7.

Why would this happen if I did a clean install (installed by burning the upgrade setup to the DVD, then onto a clean new drive, and activated it successfully.) And why would it show my two Windows 7 choices at bootup?

I hope you guys can answer these questions for me. Can't seem to understand what went wrong.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 May 2010   #2
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Please post back a screenshot of your full Disk Management drive map with listings, using Snipping Tool in Start Menu, attach file using paper clip in Reply box. Label or explain the drive contents.

Then we can advise you the exact steps.

You likely have a Dual Boot which needs the MBR recovered into 7 - we help do it every day here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2010   #3
K3VL4R

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

You might get lucky with a system restore disk that will fix this for you but probably not.

Windows 7 probably modified the Vista boot loader on the Vista drive rather than make its own on the Windows 7 hard drive. What that means is that if you take Vista away, there is mo instructions to point your computer to Windows 7. There are programs like EasyBCD (you will have to plug your Vista back in and install it on that) that can modify the boot loaders, but I cannot remember if they will create one for you that you can put on the other hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 May 2010   #4
Snow Hound

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Please post back a screenshot of your full Disk Management drive map with listings, using Snipping Tool in Start Menu, attach file using paper clip in Reply box. Label or explain the drive contents.

Then we can advise you the exact steps.

You likely have a Dual Boot which needs the MBR recovered into 7 - we help do it every day here.
Thanks for the response. Here is a snapshot disk management. The C: drive is my boot drive (the Intel) E: is my Vista drive and D: is just for storage.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by K3VL4R View Post
You might get lucky with a system restore disk that will fix this for you but probably not.

Windows 7 probably modified the Vista boot loader on the Vista drive rather than make its own on the Windows 7 hard drive. What that means is that if you take Vista away, there is mo instructions to point your computer to Windows 7. There are programs like EasyBCD (you will have to plug your Vista back in and install it on that) that can modify the boot loaders, but I cannot remember if they will create one for you that you can put on the other hard drive.
Can you point me to info that may help me through this process? I am not familiar with this program or boot loaders or how they can be modified. Thanks.


Attached Thumbnails
-disk-management-snapshot.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2010   #5
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Unplug Vista HD, plug cable into Win7 or else change BIOS to boot Win7 HD first, after DVD drive.

Now boot Win7 DVD or Repair CD, press Shift F10 to open Command Line, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 1 (confirm this is Win7 HD # from list)
LIST PARTITION
SELECT PARTITION 1 (confirm this is Win7 partition # from list)
ACTIVE
EXIT

Now return to booted Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD, click through to Recovery Tools list to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots to write the MBR to Win7.

If you plug Vista HD back in now, it will be bootable via BIOS using the key given on first bootup screen for Boot Menu. To delete Vista from HD, use DISKPART "Clean All" command for deepest clean, or "Clean" for short clean.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2010   #6
Snow Hound

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Unplug Vista HD, plug cable into Win7 or else change BIOS to boot Win7 HD first, after DVD drive.

Now boot Win7 DVD or Repair CD, press Shift F10 to open Command Line, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 1 (confirm this is Win7 HD # from list)
LIST PARTITION
SELECT PARTITION 1 (confirm this is Win7 partition # from list)
ACTIVE
EXIT

Now return to booted Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD, click through to Recovery Tools list to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots to write the MBR to Win7.

If you plug Vista HD back in now, it will be bootable via BIOS using the key given on first bootup screen for Boot Menu. To delete Vista from HD, use DISKPART "Clean All" command for deepest clean, or "Clean" for short clean.
Thanks for the step by step process. I'll try it once I get a chance. My schedule is pretty hectic atm.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2010   #7
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

1) Download SIW2 Tool sispar to your desktop, from here.
NTLDR is Missing

2) Unzip download.
You can download 7zip from here,
Download

3) Open folder, Right Click and run as admin on sispar.cmd.

4) Press enter

5) Enter the drive letter you want for the NEW system partition (must be a Primary partition with 7 on it)

6) If you want to include all your current boot menu items (assuming you have more than one) type Y when it asks, if you only want the boot menu entry for the New system partition, type N.

It takes about 3-5 seconds.
That's it.
If the NEW system partition is on the first HD in boot order - it will show as "system" in Disk management on next restart. If you have more than one HD - obviously, on restart go into bios and set the HD containing the NEW system partition first in bios boot order.

This put the boot files need on to the Win7 HD/partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Removed my Vista hard drive, now Windows 7 won't Boot?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Removed Win 7 drive- plugged into 3.0 USB but won't boot
My HP laptop died but the drive worked. I removed the drive, bought an adaptor to plug it into my USB 3.0 port on my new HP G7 2269wm laptop. It has Win 7 Home Premium but won't boot up on my new computer even though I change the bios to select the port. I don't want to install a new Win 7 over...
General Discussion
BSOD when booting up ONLY when second hard drive is removed
Hi, I have 2 hard drives in my computer, one with the OS and programs on it, and a second drive just for storage (videos and such, no programs). Recently my second hard drive has started having problems (bad sectors), so I recovered all the data I could and am going to RMA it. The second...
BSOD Help and Support
External hard drive can't be removed
Hello all I have previously started a thread asking a question about why external drives cannot be safely removed due to being either in use by another process or wording similar to this. I have now searched this forum for any previous threads relating to this problem, and also at other...
Hardware & Devices
Partitioned drive and somehow it removed the boot file
I tried the repair fron 7 dvd and no luck. I also tried this The DISKPART program recognizes a set of commands. Most of the ones of interest to you were given in another post. type DiskPart, Enter key type List disk, Enter key note the numeral of the disk you want to clean for...
General Discussion
Removing Vista drive from a dual boot with Windows 7 on seperate drive
Hi, I installed Windows 7 on a second hard drive (WD 500GB c) to create a dual boot with Vista (OS d). This has been working great and I have fully transferred over to Windows 7. Now I want to remove the Vista drive (OS d) and format it to use for data only or in future purchase a larger...
Installation & Setup
recommend me a hard drive, planning on upgrading from windows vista..
My bros laptop is acting up. we tried using the recovery disks, but the laptop turns off like around 50% of the process. I tried doing this process in regular mode and in safe mode. He wants to upgrade to windows 7 home premium, but he wants to buy a new hard drive since we feel like this one...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App