Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Deleting 7, install on new computer

14 May 2010   #1

 
 
Deleting 7, install on new computer

Hi Folks

I've searched the web and these forums but I don't think I'm phrasing the question right.

I want to completely remove Win 7 from an old computer and install it on a new one.

Is this allowed? Or is there some obscure EULA rule that says I can't?

Many thanks in advance

Keith


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 May 2010   #2

Windows 7 Profesional x86, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by keithbrook View Post
Hi Folks

I've searched the web and these forums but I don't think I'm phrasing the question right.

I want to completely remove Win 7 from an old computer and install it on a new one.

Is this allowed? Or is there some obscure EULA rule that says I can't?

Many thanks in advance

Keith
As long as you installed Seven yourself and it wasn't pre-installed then there's no problem as long as you completely remove it and format the drive/partition.

You may however have to call up Microsoft for a new product key or activate it using the automated phone service, although you may well not have to.

Oli
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2010   #3
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Any genuine retail Windows can be moved - but only be active on one system. Any OEM version (whether preinstalled or seperately purchased) has to remain with the system where it was first installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 May 2010   #4

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Any genuine retail Windows can be moved - but only be active on one system. Any OEM version (whether preinstalled or seperately purchased) has to remain with the system where it was first installed.
This is probably the best explanation. Did you buy Windows 7 separately? Was it an upgrade or a full license?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2010   #5
Microsoft MVP

 

Both Upgrade and Full Retail can migrate to the computer of your choice as long as they it is only on one computer.

Wipe the HD of the old computer and install on the new one. During activation at Control Panel>System link, you'll likely need to make the robocall to MS as this updates the hardware signature stored in MS activation computers for your key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2010   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
Both Upgrade and Full Retail can migrate to the computer of your choice as long as they it is only on one computer.
Greg, question - what about an upgrade to an OEM base. E.g. I upgrade an OEM Windows 7 Home to Windows 7 Ultimate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2010   #7
Microsoft MVP

 

Hi Wolfgang -

The key determines the version., nothing in the installer once its unlocked. The exception is Enterprise which has a different licensing scheme.

As far I know OEM functions like retail, requiring Anytime Upgrade to upgrade within Windows 7. There is a workaround that can force an in-place Upgrade between versions as well.

And there are many reports of successfully using a Windows 7 retail upgrade or full version key in Anytime upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2010   #8

 
 

I'm obliged to everyone who helped with this solution.

I bought two full blown retail versions of 7 Home Premium for 69 each, which were on offer. And yes, they are legit!!

I installed the second one on my Samsung NC10 but it seems to struggle a little bit so I may reinstall the XP that came with it and save the 7 for a better computer later.

So, once again, many thanks for your help and what a lively forum!!

Cheers from the UK

Keith
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2010   #9

Windows 7 Profesional x86, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by keithbrook View Post
I'm obliged to everyone who helped with this solution.

I bought two full blown retail versions of 7 Home Premium for 69 each, which were on offer. And yes, they are legit!!

I installed the second one on my Samsung NC10 but it seems to struggle a little bit so I may reinstall the XP that came with it and save the 7 for a better computer later.

So, once again, many thanks for your help and what a lively forum!!

Cheers from the UK

Keith
No problem and you're welcome.

Oli
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Deleting 7, install on new computer




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33