Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: RC won't install due to Perfectdisk

05 May 2009   #1
yobeske

vista / windows 7
 
 
RC won't install due to Perfectdisk

I'm running vista ultimate and when I goto install the upgrade to windows 7 it gets to the compatibility check and then tell me it can't continue until I uninstall Perfectdisk.

I've uninstalled it (Version 8). Same problem.

Removed any mention of it in the registry and found nothing on the hard drive that even mentions perfectdisk?

Does anyone know what I could be missing? It always defaults to the same message.

Thanks

Jim


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 May 2009   #2
nvteleskier

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
Same issue with Perfect Disk

I tried to install 64 bit Windows 7, but it keeps stopping because it says I need to uninstall Perfect Disk. It has been uninstalled, it no longer shows up anywhere, plus I've searched the registry and removed any instance of Perfect Disk.

I thought this would be a little easier installation. The installer also asked that I remove my NVidia drivers and a few other programs, which I've done, plus restarted a number of times.

???????????????
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2009   #3
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yobeske View Post
I'm running vista ultimate and when I goto install the upgrade to windows 7 it gets to the compatibility check and then tell me it can't continue until I uninstall Perfectdisk.

I've uninstalled it (Version 8). Same problem.

Removed any mention of it in the registry and found nothing on the hard drive that even mentions perfectdisk?

Does anyone know what I could be missing? It always defaults to the same message.

Thanks

Jim
Hi Jim,

You should really do a clean install with the RC

That said have you tried CCleaner - Download to get rid of PD

Pooch
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 May 2009   #4
yobeske

vista / windows 7
 
 
I could

But the purpose of an RC is to find problems, is it not? Well, this is a problem. I'll try a few other things to see if they find any residual program info on my machine but won't resort to doing a clean install on this machine if not necessary. I did run the upgrade on my laptop with no problems - all is well there.

I may also buy and install a newer version of perfectdisk that is compatible with win7 (version 10) and see if that will make the error go away?? Still frustrating something so silly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2009   #5
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yobeske View Post
But the purpose of an RC is to find problems, is it not? Well, this is a problem. I'll try a few other things to see if they find any residual program info on my machine but won't resort to doing a clean install on this machine if not necessary. I did run the upgrade on my laptop with no problems - all is well there.

I may also buy and install a newer version of perfectdisk that is compatible with win7 (version 10) and see if that will make the error go away?? Still frustrating something so silly.
I have no doubt that it is frustrating, but it is hardly a problem. 7 would seem to be working well, by showing you this. The alternative could be hours of problems caused by unknown software incompatibility.

Pooch
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2009   #6
yobeske

vista / windows 7
 
 
hmmm

So in 5-9 months when this hits the shelf. And I go buy it and take it home to install it as an upgrade to my vista ultimate and I get this same "not a problem" - what would I do??? I would spend hours on the phone with a microsoft tech person trying everything under the sun to get this "not a problem" to allow me to install my newly paid for OS.

I love the fact that you are super helpful Pooch and the only one willing to even respond to the post (I'm sure cause it's probably too unique a problem to deserve much attention - and I'm ok with that really), but to be honest this - IMHO - qualifies as a problem seeing as I am unable to install the RC according to it's allowed principle of upgrading assuming you have the proper OS.

I will continue in my efforts towards the weekend and update you here on my findings. Just posted to begin with incase anyone else experienced the same issue and spent enough time on it to fix the problem.

Thanks again,

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2009   #7
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yobeske View Post
So in 5-9 months when this hits the shelf. And I go buy it and take it home to install it as an upgrade to my vista ultimate and I get this same "not a problem" - what would I do??? I would spend hours on the phone with a microsoft tech person trying everything under the sun to get this "not a problem" to allow me to install my newly paid for OS.

I love the fact that you are super helpful Pooch and the only one willing to even respond to the post (I'm sure cause it's probably too unique a problem to deserve much attention - and I'm ok with that really), but to be honest this - IMHO - qualifies as a problem seeing as I am unable to install the RC according to it's allowed principle of upgrading assuming you have the proper OS.

I will continue in my efforts towards the weekend and update you here on my findings. Just posted to begin with incase anyone else experienced the same issue and spent enough time on it to fix the problem.

Thanks again,

Jim
Thanks for your reply, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Unfortunately the version of PD that you are using is incompatible, nothing can change this.
I use the newer PD and have no problems at all.
upgrading PD and then upgrading the OS should also work for you

Pooch
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2009   #8
cyclism6486

Vista 32 bit
 
 

The compatibility checker gives me the dialog that I need to remove "Disk Expert v2" before the upgrade can continue. I have nothing called Disk Expert installed (or ever did as far as I recall), from a Google search can't even determine what Disk Expert v2 is (or does - except there seem to be a lot of crack sites for it) and a registry search turns up nothing with that name....any ideas - short of a clean install?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2009   #9
nvteleskier

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

FYI,

I used Revo Uninstaller, which does a much better job uninstalling a piece of software than CC.

I am also using the newest version of Perfect disk 10, which is supposed to support Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2009   #10
Uber Philf

W7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

All i can say is back up all your important files and such, and do a fresh install, will save you the time worrying about all these upgrading issues, more then likely MS would have fixed them by the time W7 hits the shelves.

Enzo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 RC won't install due to Perfectdisk




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD after trying to uninstall PerfectDisk 12
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Re-installed about 2 years ago OEM After trying to uninstall PerfectDisk 12, constantly BSODing, and booting into safe mode I received the following: _________________________________________________________ Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BlueScreen ...
BSOD Help and Support
PerfectDisk 11 Build 170 Released
4/13/2010 PerfectDisk 11 Build 170 is available. Changelog below- What's new in PerfectDisk 11 (Build 170)
Software
PerfectDisk 11 Released Today
For those of you who use PerfectDisk to defrag your drives, version 11 was released today. Numerous enhancements are included with PerfectDisk 11, highlighted by: * Greatly improved disk analyze speed of up to several hundred percent * Exclusive new BlockViewer™ allows users to...
Software
PerfectDisk 10 Pro
I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. When I defrag using Smart Placement and it's done I have a solid black line for just about half of the top line of the drive map. When I put my pointer on it, it says it's fragmented all other squares are not fragmented. Anybody have any ideas what this long...
Software
PerfectDisk 10 Build 119
source..
Software
PerfectDisk 10 Pro on W7U RC 7100
This is the first & only build of Windows 7 that has given me 100% defragmentation (0 fragments) results! :D I love it when PD10 defrags this way on an OS as it runs really fast like this with optimal drive performance! Bootup is 20 seconds! :p
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App