Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: RAID enabled; Want to switch to ACHI

31 May 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
RAID enabled; Want to switch to ACHI

I have my dad's computer already setup with Windows 7.

For some odd reason being that there is only one drive in the computer. the computer's bios is set to RAID. I know you need at least two drives to perform any RAID functions.

When I tried to switch over the SATA drives in the BIOS from RAID to ACHI, windows failed to start.

Is there some proceedure first that I need to do before I switch them? Like a driver or does the hard drives have to be switched on a clean install of windows?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 May 2010   #2

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
 
 

You should really perform a clean install. When your dad set up RAID, he needed to set up RAID drivers during Windows installation. It would be wise to just reinstall without the RAID drivers to keep everything stable instead of switching at this point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

You could take a look:

AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 May 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

yeah that is what i figured. I was the one that set the computer up but it was a computer bought from HP and that is the way it was set up by default.

Do the companies know what they are doing when they do this or they just send them on their way hoping no one will figure it out?

If your going to do raid... the only way is raid 5.

If it is just one hard drive..what is the point?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #5
Microsoft MVP

 

Are you sure you have only one HD?

RAID often shows only one HD in Computer which the array creates.

Check Device Manager to see what driver is actually installed.

You sound like you're experienced enough to know, but most users will just see the one HD listed in Computer and not notice it is array.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #6

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by acurasd View Post
I have my dad's computer already setup with Windows 7.

For some odd reason being that there is only one drive in the computer. the computer's bios is set to RAID. I know you need at least two drives to perform any RAID functions.

When I tried to switch over the SATA drives in the BIOS from RAID to ACHI, windows failed to start.

Is there some proceedure first that I need to do before I switch them? Like a driver or does the hard drives have to be switched on a clean install of windows?
Most computers are shipped with RAID turned on by default even if you have one (1) hard drive. It will not affect performance and there is no need to change to ACHI. Plus it makes it easy if you want to add another hard drive and use RAID 0 or RAID 1.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #7

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

[/QUOTE]Most computers are shipped with RAID turned on by default even if you have one (1) hard drive. It will not affect performance and there is no need to change to ACHI. Plus it makes it easy if you want to add another hard drive and use RAID 0 or RAID 1.[/QUOTE]

Are you quite sure about this? It sounds wrong to me.

I admit that I haven't bought a commercial PC since 1995. I've used Dell PCs at a few employers, but all of them were configured by corporate IT.

I'm moderately sure that my current system (X58 chipset, ICH10R controller) not permit a pre-RAID setup with a single disk. I haven't done Intel raid for a while; has a RAID 10 setup, but it appeared to add more annoyance than performance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #8

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote:
Quote:
Most computers are shipped with RAID turned on by default even if you have one (1) hard drive. It will not affect performance and there is no need to change to ACHI. Plus it makes it easy if you want to add another hard drive and use RAID 0 or RAID 1
Quote:

Are you quite sure about this? It sounds wrong to me.

I admit that I haven't bought a commercial PC since 1995. I've used Dell PCs at a few employers, but all of them were configured by corporate IT.

I'm moderately sure that my current system (X58 chipset, ICH10R controller) not permit a pre-RAID setup with a single disk. I haven't done Intel raid for a while; has a RAID 10 setup, but it appeared to add more annoyance than performance.
Yep, the last Dell and HP machines we have purchased over the last 6 month all have RAID turned on by default from the factory with only one hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #9

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote:

I admit that I haven't bought a commercial PC since 1995. I've used Dell PCs at a few employers, but all of them were configured by corporate IT.
Corporate IT will make changes as they see fit. They may turn it off for recovery needs, special boot ups, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #10
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by acurasd View Post
Do the companies know what they are doing when they do this or they just send them on their way hoping no one will figure it out?
Ask those with HP AMD based computers running XP about what happened when SP3 came out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 RAID enabled; Want to switch to ACHI





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: RAID enabled; Want to switch to ACHI
Thread Forum
Solved ACHI or IDE for new SSD installation Hardware & Devices
Achi vs ide Performance & Maintenance
Solved Can I switch my boot disk from ahci mode to raid mode? Hardware & Devices
Solved Getting from IDE to ACHI without BSOD BSOD Help and Support
Solved BSOD often since moving from IDE to ACHI BSOD Help and Support
ACHI Problems Hardware & Devices
achi driver for ga-p35-ds3 Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33