Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB Win XP Portable

30 Jun 2010   #1
AstaLaVista

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 
USB Win XP Portable

Has anybody make a successful Win XP Portable with a thumb drive?

I have read many websites and "How To's" but to no avail... it is one of those things that I tell myself I must learn to do as it would make my life easier for those times when the computer has a virus or help a friend with a problem, etc, etc.

I was able to get one going with bartPE but it takes a long time to load the iso file.

If any of you have, can you point me in the right direction?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Jun 2010   #2
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Assuming you'd even getting it working, it wouldn't be usable. The USB interface doesn't work well booting a Windows OS. The performance would be bad, and some sites claim it drasticllay shortens the life of the drive.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AstaLaVista View Post
I must learn to do as it would make my life easier for those times when the computer has a virus or help a friend with a problem, etc, etc.
I'm not sure how this would help (if it were possible) for either situation. If a computer has a virus, either fight it directly or pull the drive and connect it to a working computer and clean it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2010   #3
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

If you are worried about viruses, you can try making a bootable antivirus rescue flash drive. You can download the free rescue CDs a lot of AV vendors provide, then integrate them into a bootable usb using the Shardana utility.

FREE Bootable AntiVirus Rescue CDs Download List

Note: I believe all this stuff is legally free. If something to the contrary comes to someone's notice, please let me know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jun 2010   #4
gregrocker

 

In addition to bootable AV's Bill linked:

Use free Paragon Rescue CD: Rescue Kit Free Edition | PARAGON Software Group - free partition software, hard disk partitioning to recover Win7 partition if salvageable, or copy off files as last resort.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2010   #5
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AstaLaVista View Post
Has anybody make a successful Win XP Portable with a thumb drive?

I have read many websites and "How To's" but to no avail... it is one of those things that I tell myself I must learn to do as it would make my life easier for those times when the computer has a virus or help a friend with a problem, etc, etc.

I was able to get one going with bartPE but it takes a long time to load the iso file.

If any of you have, can you point me in the right direction?
BartPE works great. Just make a USB BartPE it is an extremely fast boot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #6
AstaLaVista

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
BartPE works great. Just make a USB BartPE it is an extremely fast boot.
Can you point me in the right direction? the BartPE I made is extremely slow to boot.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #7
gregrocker

 

Bill, have you used any of the bootable AV Rescue Disks? I'm wondering if you can recommend a free one.

My inclination would be toward Malwarebytes based on reputation of the free solution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #8
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AstaLaVista View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
BartPE works great. Just make a USB BartPE it is an extremely fast boot.
Can you point me in the right direction? the BartPE I made is extremely slow to boot.

Thanks
Sure:
Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
http://www.collewijn.info/xpe/page/pe2usb.php
Pe2usb: Installing Bartpe To Usb Flash Disk - The CD Forum
GoCoding.Com - PeToUSB - Boot BartPE From USB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #9
ultraplanet

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
If a computer has a virus, either fight it directly or pull the drive and connect it to a working computer and clean it.
Indeed
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #10
Vesko96

 

Well, what I like to do is put a light-weight Linux distro on my pen drive. The smaller ones like Puppy Linux take up like 100 MB of space, and can be a real lifesaver when it comes to any Windows-related problem. Plus, Windows viruses are worthless against Linux, so no need to worry about getting your pen drive infected as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB Win XP Portable




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Are portable apps preferable, even for non-portable use ?
Some software publishers or authors offer both portable and installable versions of their products. (Kee Pass is one of them.) Is it advisable to systematically prefer the portable version, when running it from a fixed drive and not a thumb drive, according to the logic that if it's possible not...
Software
HELP! charmap.exe portable?
Hi, Is there a way to make charmap.exe portable so I can put it on my USB drive? I might need this in the office because they have disabled nearly everything including charmap. Thanks, Thomas :confused:
Software
How to create a portable app?
Hello! Anybody know how to create any program as a portable. Camyo is good one but i want create portable apps like normal way.
Software
Portable HD Icon
The icon for my portable HD is missing - how would I go about fixing it? Thanks! -Bill
General Discussion
Portable Hdd. Urgent !
Hi guys, I'am gng to get a portable HDD (usb 2.0) and my question is weather can i install win 7 OS into that and load Win 7 from boot ?? is it possible >?
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App