Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing Windows 7 on blank hard drive


23 Jul 2010   #1

None
 
 
Installing Windows 7 on blank hard drive

I just got a new computer, new hard drive and everything. I attempted to install Windows 7 (full version, NOT an upgrade) by putting the disc in, starting the computer, and booting from the BIOS. The monitor shows a bar that says that the Windows files are loading. Then it displays the little Windows logo. And finally it comes to a blue-ish screen with a bird on it (which I have been told is the sign-on screen) with a cursor. Nothing else. I've tried pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE and running Safe Mode. Nothing works.

I have heard that the solution might have something to do with putting certain drivers onto a flash drive. Is that true? If so, um... explain. If not, explain that too.

Thanks!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jul 2010   #2
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eikoangelus View Post
I just got a new computer, new hard drive and everything. I attempted to install Windows 7 (full version, NOT an upgrade) by putting the disc in, starting the computer, and booting from the BIOS. The monitor shows a bar that says that the Windows files are loading. Then it displays the little Windows logo. And finally it comes to a blue-ish screen with a bird on it (which I have been told is the sign-on screen) with a cursor. Nothing else. I've tried pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE and running Safe Mode. Nothing works.

I have heard that the solution might have something to do with putting certain drivers onto a flash drive. Is that true? If so, um... explain. If not, explain that too.

Thanks!!
Welcome to SevenForums,

You might want to follow those tutorials:

-Clean Install Windows 7

-SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #3

 
 

Hi & welcome to the forum!

The same thing happened to me... I even get the Seven copy back to the shop and, friendly, they gave me another... Same thing...
In fact, i just had to wait a bit longer and the installation - finally - began...
I made a new install this week on my pc and i had to wait again (i mean maybe one minute, which seems very long when you're waiting in front of your screen...)

Good luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Jul 2010   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eikoangelus View Post
I just got a new computer, new hard drive and everything. I attempted to install Windows 7 (full version, NOT an upgrade) by putting the disc in, starting the computer, and booting from the BIOS. The monitor shows a bar that says that the Windows files are loading. Then it displays the little Windows logo. And finally it comes to a blue-ish screen with a bird on it (which I have been told is the sign-on screen) with a cursor. Nothing else. I've tried pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE and running Safe Mode. Nothing works.

I have heard that the solution might have something to do with putting certain drivers onto a flash drive. Is that true? If so, um... explain. If not, explain that too.

Thanks!!
Welcome to SevenForums,

You might want to follow those tutorials:

-Clean Install Windows 7

-SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
If you need to add drivers take a look at this tutorial:

SATA Driver - Load in Windows 7 or Vista Setup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #5

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eikoangelus View Post
I just got a new computer, new hard drive and everything. I attempted to install Windows 7 (full version, NOT an upgrade) by putting the disc in, starting the computer, and booting from the BIOS. The monitor shows a bar that says that the Windows files are loading. Then it displays the little Windows logo. And finally it comes to a blue-ish screen with a bird on it (which I have been told is the sign-on screen) with a cursor. Nothing else. I've tried pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE and running Safe Mode. Nothing works.

I have heard that the solution might have something to do with putting certain drivers onto a flash drive. Is that true? If so, um... explain. If not, explain that too.

Thanks!!
Physically remove the disk to which you are NOT installing Windows 7.

Boot from the Win 7 DVD.

When you get the very 1st screen requiring you to hit the enter key/make a selection or whatever, then use the SHIFT + F10 key combo to get to a command prompt.

Once you are there, then follow the instructions for "cleaning" a drive. This clean operation will take a long time. Go get a beer.

After the clean is finished and you are back to the install as a consequence of the EXIT commands,
then continue with the Win 7 install.

Now be patient. Be very patient. Go get a short beer. When you come back the installation procedure will have advanced.


WIPE A DISK CLEAN

type DiskPart, Enter key
type List disk, Enter key
note the numeral of the disk you want to clean
for example purposes, Iíll be using the numeral 0
type Select disk 0, Enter key
type Detail disk, Enter key
this info will let you know if you selected correctly
type Clean ALL, Enter key
your entire disk is being overwritten with zeros.
This can take a considerable amount of time
type EXIT, Enter key (only after Clean is finished)
type EXIT, Enter key (this gets you back where you were)

==============================================
===============================================
GO TO A COMMAND PROMPT USING YOUR WIN 7 DVD
■Boot up from your Windows 7 DVD.
■At the first dialog window, press SHIFT + F10 key combo
■You will have a X:> command prompt
X: is a ram drive created by Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #6

None
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post

Welcome to SevenForums,

You might want to follow those tutorials:

-Clean Install Windows 7

-SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
Thanks for the quick response, but you must have not thoroughly read my post. Both of the links you gave require that a certain screen pops up (Step 3 in your first link, Step 1 in your second) asking you to select a language. My boot up never gets that far. So if you could go over the details I provided and offer me help that gets me to the appropriate screen, I would appreciate it. And yes, my computer surpasses all of the specs listed in the first link.

As for the SATA link, same problem. It's not that the setup's not finding my hard drive. It's that it's never reaching the "setup" phase.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #7

 
 

Hi again!

Did you try waiting 2-3 minutes...
I know it could seem stupid but...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #8
Microsoft MVP

 

Where did you get Windows 7? Verify the DVD using ImgBurn by loading ISO, make sure it says "Bootable" in text at left, then load DVD and Verify it against ISO. If necessary burn again using Imgburn at 4 x with Verify - it never fails.

Does the new HD register in BIOS correctly? Make sure you have the latest BIOS version update, reset BOS to defaults, set SATA controller setting to AHCI first, then IDE if necessary.

Next try removing all but 2gb of RAM for install, then swap RAM, test RAM using memtest86 for 5-6 passes.

You might just need to wait longer as suggested. It has taken up to 30 minutes that I can remember.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2010   #9

None
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scoopeeedoo View Post
Hi again!

Did you try waiting 2-3 minutes...
I know it could seem stupid but...
Ha, yeeeah. Should've tried earlier. It took more like 10 but it worked. Pretty weird. Thanks!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2010   #10

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Glad to hear that the hurdle is cleared.

With any software truly patience is a virtue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing Windows 7 on blank hard drive




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33