Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: DVD - No options for Media Centre

08 May 2011   #1
MissSherlock

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
DVD - No options for Media Centre

Hi All:


When I insert a DVD the system asks what I would like to do. Fine. However, it will only give me two options: 1) MediaPlayer and 2) Nero. No other options are available including Media Centre in order to play the DVD.

The same is for the right-click. There is no "open with" available for DVDs.

How do I fix these problems.

Thanks,

ms


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 May 2011   #2
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MissSherlock View Post
Hi All:


When I insert a DVD the system asks what I would like to do. Fine. However, it will only give me two options: 1) MediaPlayer and 2) Nero. No other options are available including Media Centre in order to play the DVD.

The same is for the right-click. There is no "open with" available for DVDs.

How do I fix these problems.

Thanks,

ms
Miss Sherlock,

I don't believe Windows Media Center was originally designed to be opened when one inserts a disc but that does not mean you are out of luck. There is a small program available that is free to download that helps you modify the AutoPlay list Windows does not have a tool like this currently available for Windows 7.

Default Programs Editor

You can add Windows Media Center to the list and give it a go. I have not personally used the program. Let me know how it works out for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2011   #3
MissSherlock

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
DVD - File Associations

Hi Johnathan:

Thanks so much for the programme. It's interesting that there appears to be several problems with file associations and Windows 7.

I had a major problem with file associations when I first installed the software including the 'low' folder missing. I had to do a complete repair of Win7 in order fix all of these problems.

Will give it try.

Thanks bunches, ms
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 May 2011   #4
MissSherlock

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Hi Johnathan:

An update regarding no options for Media Centre within file associations. In the end I had to call Microsoft Technical Support. I gather it was some sort of installation error or problem. My Technical Support person used a fix to add the Media Centre option to my list in order to open a 'dvd'.

With thanks, MS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2011   #5
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

good link i now have WMC in autoplay,however when wmc starts the menu screen opens but the dvd doesnt open
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2011   #6
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MissSherlock View Post
Hi Johnathan:

An update regarding no options for Media Centre within file associations. In the end I had to call Microsoft Technical Support. I gather it was some sort of installation error or problem. My Technical Support person used a fix to add the Media Centre option to my list in order to open a 'dvd'.

With thanks, MS
Can you share the fix with us?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2011   #7
MissSherlock

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Hello Johnathan:

I forgot to ask for it. But I have other file associations that need fixing so I've sent off an e-mail for more help.

Will let everyone know once I've found the fix.

Happy Victoria Day,

MS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2011   #8
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnathan Lyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MissSherlock View Post
Hi Johnathan:

An update regarding no options for Media Centre within file associations. In the end I had to call Microsoft Technical Support. I gather it was some sort of installation error or problem. My Technical Support person used a fix to add the Media Centre option to my list in order to open a 'dvd'.

With thanks, MS
Can you share the fix with us?
This works,

WMC not available as an autoplay option
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2011   #9
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

thanks derek that works for me, nice link
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2011   #10
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
thanks derek that works for me, nice link
You're welcome Julian, I've used it a couple times myself too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 DVD - No options for Media Centre




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Where IS Media Centre
I recently upgraded from XP to W7 using an official paid for disc. Initially there was a reference to Windows Media Centre on the left of the Start Button box. Somehow I have managed to lose it and have no access to media Centre. Anyone know where I can find it on my system..OR will I have to...
Media Center
MEDIA CENTRE TAKEN OVER
Please help. Windows media centre has taken over my Laptop. Every programme will exe on the end opens with media centre. I can't restore to an earlier date as that opens windows media centre.
Media Center
Why wont the media player or the media centre play MP4's?
Is there a good reason why MS don't equip either the media centre or the media player with the ability to play MP4's. I don't see why they can't play them,and surely it would be in MS's best interest if they could play them.
Media Center
Media Centre visualization
Does anyone know where i can get some new Media Centre visualizations as i have seen some really good 1s on youtube and wanted to know where they came from
Media Center
media centre tv in the UK
The tv access via media centre appears to be confined to Sky TV which requires a payment.Is this correct.?
Media Center
Another Media Centre Bug...
Dual screens. One used under Media Centre (listening to radio or viewing a movie, or a recording...) and the other used for previewing photos with the native Windows Picture Viewer... Set the Picture Viewer into Slide Show mode and the Media Centre blacks out... :cry:
Media Center


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:23.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App