Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is there a high traffic router for streaming?


19 Jul 2009   #1
CXK

Windows 7 RC 7100 Build
 
 
Is there a high traffic router for streaming?

I'm using my Windows 7 MC to stream TV, recorded content and video files to my 2 xbox 360's. My plan is to get one more 360 soon, were moving into a brand new house with in wall network wiring.
I'm currently using the Linksys wrt54g to send the video out. Occasionally I'll get a Network Issue message popping up. Both the 360 and media center are wired connections, so I cant figure out where there is a problem. It usually says the network is busy, but not much is going on. The wireless is WPA protected, so its not someone else using my connection.

I'm having a new house built, and I've got them putting me in 9 network ports in the house in plans for my media center and other devices. I want to stream to 3 360's, not all at once, maybe at the max 2 at once. It comes with the OnQ built in router..which is know nothing about as of now. Is there a different router I should use for high traffic? Or does it not really matter? The woman who was working with us didnt know if the router would even have enough ports since I added so many extra. I've never seen a router with more than 4 ports, I've seen switches but will it slow me down if im using a switch with the router?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jul 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
high traffic router

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CXK View Post
I'm using my Windows 7 MC to stream TV, recorded content and video files to my 2 xbox 360's. My plan is to get one more 360 soon, were moving into a brand new house with in wall network wiring.
I'm currently using the Linksys wrt54g to send the video out. Occasionally I'll get a Network Issue message popping up. Both the 360 and media center are wired connections, so I cant figure out where there is a problem. It usually says the network is busy, but not much is going on. The wireless is WPA protected, so its not someone else using my connection.

I'm having a new house built, and I've got them putting me in 9 network ports in the house in plans for my media center and other devices. I want to stream to 3 360's, not all at once, maybe at the max 2 at once. It comes with the OnQ built in router..which is know nothing about as of now. Is there a different router I should use for high traffic? Or does it not really matter? The woman who was working with us didnt know if the router would even have enough ports since I added so many extra. I've never seen a router with more than 4 ports, I've seen switches but will it slow me down if im using a switch with the router?
How extreme is your usage? the linksys is a 10/100Mb. If your streaming is going to be local area network there are many good 1000Mb (gig) routers. If you have more than 4 ports you might want to go to a commercial router that come in various sizes to support the number of ports you need.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2009   #3
Microsoft MVP

6x W2K8 R2 (x64), 6x W7 7600 (x64), 2x Gentoo (x64), 1x Ubuntu 9.04 (x64), 1x pfSense (FreeBSD)
 
 

I'd highly recommend getting a "real" gigabit switch. Most consumer level devices can not handle HDTV streaming traffic without making changes to the network cards.

The HP J9078A 10/100/1000Mbps ProCurve Switch 1400-24G is a very well performing switch and reasonably priced. It will save you money long-term in both frustration level and not having to replace it every 6 months compared to most consumer level devices.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jul 2009   #4
CXK

Windows 7 RC 7100 Build
 
 

Thanks for the replies, I have a question about the 1000mb switches: Will my 360's be able to take advantage of the speed? Would my PC require any special add on cards? or would the built onto the mobo one work?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2009   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CXK View Post
Thanks for the replies, I have a question about the 1000mb switches: Will my 360's be able to take advantage of the speed? Would my PC require any special add on cards? or would the built onto the mobo one work?
Most modern PCs come with gigabit Ethernet cards in them...the 360 I am not so sure about...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2009   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
high speed

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CXK View Post
Thanks for the replies, I have a question about the 1000mb switches: Will my 360's be able to take advantage of the speed? Would my PC require any special add on cards? or would the built onto the mobo one work?
Just make sure you cable 1000Mb switches and routers with Cat 6E ethernet cables.. It makes a difference

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2009   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Just make sure you cable 1000Mb switches and routers with Cat 6E ethernet cables.. It makes a difference

Ken
aww...good ole cat 6 cables...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is there a high traffic router for streaming?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Is there a high traffic router for streaming?
Thread Forum
Problems Streaming thru Router Media Center
high cpu usage with streaming data program Performance & Maintenance
Network Traffic Causing High CPU Usage General Discussion
Monitor Router Traffic? Network & Sharing
High CPU Utilization while streaming through Xbox Network & Sharing
XBOX360 streaming - high throughput Network & Sharing
Best Router for high traffic? Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33