Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Are PC and TV monitors both necessary


25 Sep 2011   #1

windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Are PC and TV monitors both necessary

If I have both my PC monitor and TV hooked to the PC, then both come out from being asleep just fine. But if I unhook the PC monitor, that is not the case. Am i doing something wrong or must both be hooked to the PC?

Jerry


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Sep 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit (SP 1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glb45 View Post
If I have both my PC monitor and TV hooked to the PC, then both come out from being asleep just fine. But if I unhook the PC monitor, that is not the case. Am i doing something wrong or must both be hooked to the PC?

Jerry

Hi Jerry

No they are not both required, I have a PC connectted to a TV via a DVI to HDMI cable and it works fine - unless I have a graphics card issues, in which case I plug a monitor in to resolve.

Which is your default screen? (Which displays the bios message when booting?)

If this is the monitor try swapping the cables over on your graphics card.

Regards
UKMedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2011   #3

windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

UKMedia,

The TV monitor is fed thru the HDMI output of the PC and the PC monitor is fed thru the DVI output of the PC. Are you suggesting to buy a DVI to HDMI cable and then feeding the TV from the PC DVI output? That seems that logically it should work. But is it necessary to buy a cable to solve the problem? (They are quite cheap so I can do so if necessary - just curious.)

Jerry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Sep 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit (SP 1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glb45 View Post
UKMedia,

The TV monitor is fed thru the HDMI output of the PC and the PC monitor is fed thru the DVI output of the PC. Are you suggesting to buy a DVI to HDMI cable and then feeding the TV from the PC DVI output? That seems that logically it should work. But is it necessary to buy a cable to solve the problem? (They are quite cheap so I can do so if necessary - just curious.)

Jerry

Hi Jerry


That would fix the problem but what graphics card do you have? (It's easier if you complete your system specs.) The majority of cards have a default port which can't be changed.

Regards
UKMedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2011   #5

windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
System Specs

UKMedia,

I have a vanilla Dell Inspiron 580 that is suppose to have a 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce G310.

If I disconnect the PC monitor, when awakening the TV monitor does not respond. I have to hook back up the PC monitor, restart the system, log in on the PC monitor, and then reactivate WMC on the TV.

It seems like there is some software somewhere that is requiring that the DVI output be connected to something?

Jerry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit (SP 1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glb45 View Post
UKMedia,

I have a vanilla Dell Inspiron 580 that is suppose to have a 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce G310.

If I disconnect the PC monitor, when awakening the TV monitor does not respond. I have to hook back up the PC monitor, restart the system, log in on the PC monitor, and then reactivate WMC on the TV.

It seems like there is some software somewhere that is requiring that the DVI output be connected to something?

Jerry

Okay Jerry

That card does support dual monitors, so I would suggest that buying the new cable and swapping the monitor connections will sort out the problem. Let us know how you get on.

Regards
UKMedia.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2011   #7

windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Solved

It is necessary to disable the motherboard Intel HD graphics and then connect the PC monitor
to the NVIDIA card. The NVIDIA card is then recognized and the NVIDIA can be used to drive only the TV.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Are PC and TV monitors both necessary




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Are PC and TV monitors both necessary
Thread Forum
3 monitors Graphic Cards
Is Nvidia dual monitors a poor cousin to Windows 7 dual monitors?.. Graphic Cards
3 monitors Graphic Cards
Two monitors Graphic Cards
How many monitors? Chillout Room
2 Monitors Hardware & Devices
Monitors Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33