For the last few months I haven't been able to tune in one particular OTA station using Windows Media Center. I am, however, able to tune it in just fine using Aver MediaCenter (the freebee application that came with my tuner) on the same PC. It's a local CBS station, channel 7.1. A multitude of other digital over-the-air stations (ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS, etc) come in just fine in both Windows Media Center and Aver MediaCenter. It's just that CBS station that won't play back in Windows Media Center.
I'm using an AVerMedia H826 USB Hybrid ATSC/QAM tuner that's been working fantastically over the last few years. Using the latest driver, version 18.104.22.168 for Windows 7 x64 (which is what I'm running).
- When I scan for new channels in Windows Media Center, it finds channel 7.1 just fine.
- When I go into "Digital TV Antenna Signal Strength" in Windows Media Center, channel 7.1 gets a full 6 green bars of signal strength.
- When I tune to the channel (either directly from the Guide, or by cycling to it using Channel +/-), a message comes up saying "Service is unavailable" "There is currently no TV signal detected for this channel. The channel may be temporarily off the air. Try again later."
- Again, I'm able to tune in the station just fine in Aver MediaCenter.
- I'm just tuning in over-the-air stations - no Cable TV or anything
- It might be worth noting that this same station is also broadcast, at lower power, on Channel 6.1, which I am also not able to tune in (which in this case is not all that surprising as I only get 1 bar of signal strength in the (signal strength) test). I used to be able to tune in the CBS station on 6.1, but I'm *pretty* sure (but not certain) that I haven't been able to tune in 6.1 *or* 7.1 since 7.1 was launched.
Here's what I've tried so far in troubleshooting:
- "Set up a new TV signal" in Windows Media Center; I 'start fresh' by typing in my zip code, it downloads stuff from Microsoft, it scans for analog and digital channels, it finds everything...and I can tune in everything *but* 7.1.
- "Add a missing channel" in Windows Media Center. I add Channel 7-1, with a frequency of 7, it gets full strength on the signal test...but no picture. Just the same error message about no TV signal being detected.
- I've uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Media Center (from Add/Remove Programs, Turn Windows features on or off).
I've scoured the Internet, and I can't seem to find any reference to anyone having this particular problem other than me. I'm not sure what to try next. Any thoughts? Why can't I tune in CBS?!