Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help with playing iso image files on WMC7 on my HTPC!

29 Dec 2011   #11
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dad2David View Post
Okay, I tried changing the default folder that VCD was being installed in to another folder location, but with no luck!

This is the same error I keep getting when I install VCD:
Attachment 190475
Are you talking about the C/Users/Public/Desktop error?

My Desktop folder is under my name, I don't even have a public desktop.




Attached Thumbnails
Help with playing iso image files on WMC7 on my HTPC!-derek.jpg   Help with playing iso image files on WMC7 on my HTPC!-public.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Dec 2011   #12
Dad2David

Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

That is what I thought, neither do I have a Public Desktop. Mine is also under my user login!

I was more worried about the Reg Set file being deleted is that normal too?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2011   #13
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dad2David View Post
That is what I thought, neither do I have a Public Desktop. Mine is also under my user login!

I was more worried about the Reg Set file being deleted is that normal too?
I honestly don't know.

You said you were trying to change the location it installs to but it looks like it is in program files x86.

Why are you trying to change that?

I can understand wanting to move the user folders, but changing where programs install can be troublesome if it wants to be in the root directory.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Dec 2011   #14
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dad2David View Post
Okay, I tried changing the default folder that VCD was being installed in to another folder location, but with no luck!

This is the same error I keep getting when I install VCD:
Attachment 190475
I just noticed that C:\Users\Public\Desktop is actually a hidden folder, I'm not sure why. Here's what mine looks like, VCD does have a shortcut there.

Help with playing iso image files on WMC7 on my HTPC!-capture.jpg

Can you try installing in it's default location and see if you don't get the error.

I'm sure you know how to hide/unhide folders, this is a handy little context menu addition that makes it a lot quicker if you want.

Show - Hide Hidden Files - Add to Context Menu


My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2011   #15
Dad2David

Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

I only tried installin it in the non default location once to try and see whether the problems I had was because of the User and Program Data folders were in another drive! But that did not solve it!

All the other times (including that screenshot), I've installed and uninstalled multiple times, it was done in the default location picked by VCD! all the problems are still there!

I might do a fresh install of windows and see if that helps, seems like that is the only option!

I use Revo Uninstaller for uninstalling stuff, would that cause issues, to me this whole problem seems like an issue with the registry values or for some reason the installtion being corrupted, I have the same version of VCD on my desktop which loads and plays movies just fine, and it does that even in WMC with the same same to programs installed, VCD and Mikhino's!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2011   #16
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dad2David View Post
I only tried installin it in the non default location once to try and see whether the problems I had was because of the User and Program Data folders were in another drive! But that did not solve it!

All the other times (including that screenshot), I've installed and uninstalled multiple times, it was done in the default location picked by VCD! all the problems are still there!

I might do a fresh install of windows and see if that helps, seems like that is the only option!

I use Revo Uninstaller for uninstalling stuff, would that cause issues, to me this whole problem seems like an issue with the registry values or for some reason the installtion being corrupted, I have the same version of VCD on my desktop which loads and plays movies just fine, and it does that even in WMC with the same same to programs installed, VCD and Mikhino's!
OK, I thought you were just trying to save space on your SSD.

To be honest, I would try the fresh install myself too, just in case.

I don't think Revo would cause problems, it is widely used for uninstalling.

Do you have problems uninstalling stuff from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features?

I can't seem to replicate your errors, and it seems the only difference in your two systems is that you've changed the location of the user folders on your HTPC, is that correct?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2012   #17
Dad2David

Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Yup the fresh install fixed it! No problems whatsoever now...! All the ISO's plays like it is supposed to!

It took me the whole weekend to get the system back to where I wanted but now all that I have works as it is supposed to!

I am still curious about what caused the issue, though?

Thanks for all the help Derekimo!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2012   #18
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dad2David View Post
Yup the fresh install fixed it! No problems whatsoever now...! All the ISO's plays like it is supposed to!

It took me the whole weekend to get the system back to where I wanted but now all that I have works as it is supposed to!

I am still curious about what caused the issue, though?

Thanks for all the help Derekimo!
You're welcome, glad to hear all is working now.

A nice start for the new year, Thanks for posting back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help with playing iso image files on WMC7 on my HTPC!




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Playing Audio on HTPC - How to Keep Windows From Idling?
I have an HTPC that's hooked up to my A/V receiver and surround sound system. Because of this, I also like using it to play audio files. What I can't figure out, however, is how to keep Windows from idling, and my A/V receiver from dropping the HTPC input due to inactivity while playing audio...
Music, Pictures & Video
New htpc build, blurry image on video card test/crash
see below
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Image Backups - Win 7 - Manage Image files?
I created two image backups with Win 7 on a drive with more then enough space for two images. The first one was of my full system and the second was of my build without any files, but after doing the second one I can't locate the first. Does it overwrite the images? The file size and date suggest...
Backup and Restore
Help with a HTPC and video files
Hello I have been trying to setup a htpc capable of streaming my movie collection through a xbox360 to my HD Tv using windows media center and media browser. My problem is with the format of the files used for this process. I have been using anydvd and Clone DVD to copy the movie files to my...
Media Center
Random String Files in WMC7
Hi guys, new here. ANyways let me get to the meat of it. I have Windows 7 obviously and I use Media Center alot. However after some movies I watch I get these random string files that show up in the Movies section. All of my movies are dvd back ups nothing downloaded. Also I believe these files...
Media Center
HTPC wmc7 problem
My HTPC had Vista before and I did a new install of Windows 7 RC. All is fine except when wmc wakes up and records a TV show it doesn't go back to sleep. I know it is just a simple setting, but I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?
Media Center


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App