Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Strange TV Signal Behaviour

18 Aug 2009   #1
Breno

Windows Vista/7
 
 
Strange TV Signal Behaviour

Hi there,
I'm only new here, and I've been checking many threads to see if I can find a solution, but no luck so far. If anyone has any ideas, I appreciate it.

I'll keep it short.
I bought a TV tuner for my PC, a Leadtek DTV1000S and installed it and set it all up in Windows Vista. Worked no problems, found all the stations available in my area and worked like a charm. I was impressed with how well it all worked, and what could be done with the stations and recordings.

Now, I have seen some newer aspects of Windows 7's Media Center that I like the look of more. So I have popped in another hard drive and installed Windows 7 to give it a try. Everything has installed fine, latest drivers from Windows Update was easy. It has found all the channels in my area again, and I was pleased to discover it now can download the EPG data from the signal as well so I can use the guide. Very happy with that.

Only this is the strange problem. All the channels are found, all the channel guide data downloaded from their signals, and I can use all the channels but one. The station in question is "WIN" in the regional Victoria area in Australia. Under Vista I can use all the channels flawlessly. Under Windows 7 I can use all the stations flawlessly expect for the stations broadcast by WIN. I get their EPG data, they're all found and configured in the scan, but when I view them I am just told there is no signal.

I am confused because this problem doesn't happen when I was using Vista. It appears the driver under 7 from Windows update is the same driver I used in Vista (the latest from the card manufacturer).

I'm stumped, does anyone know of things I could try to actually be able to view this station?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Aug 2009   #2
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Breno View Post
Hi there,
I'm only new here, and I've been checking many threads to see if I can find a solution, but no luck so far. If anyone has any ideas, I appreciate it.

I'll keep it short.
I bought a TV tuner for my PC, a Leadtek DTV1000S and installed it and set it all up in Windows Vista. Worked no problems, found all the stations available in my area and worked like a charm. I was impressed with how well it all worked, and what could be done with the stations and recordings.

Now, I have seen some newer aspects of Windows 7's Media Center that I like the look of more. So I have popped in another hard drive and installed Windows 7 to give it a try. Everything has installed fine, latest drivers from Windows Update was easy. It has found all the channels in my area again, and I was pleased to discover it now can download the EPG data from the signal as well so I can use the guide. Very happy with that.

Only this is the strange problem. All the channels are found, all the channel guide data downloaded from their signals, and I can use all the channels but one. The station in question is "WIN" in the regional Victoria area in Australia. Under Vista I can use all the channels flawlessly. Under Windows 7 I can use all the stations flawlessly expect for the stations broadcast by WIN. I get their EPG data, they're all found and configured in the scan, but when I view them I am just told there is no signal.

I am confused because this problem doesn't happen when I was using Vista. It appears the driver under 7 from Windows update is the same driver I used in Vista (the latest from the card manufacturer).

I'm stumped, does anyone know of things I could try to actually be able to view this station?
Maybe MCE overshoot the channel.
You can set channel frequencies by hand.
So finetune that channel in MCE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #3
Breno

Windows Vista/7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squonksc View Post
Maybe MCE overshoot the channel.
You can set channel frequencies by hand.
So finetune that channel in MCE.
Thanks for your speedy reply.

I don't mean to bother, but how can I fine tune the frequency? I can't find the option under the settings menu. Perhaps it is right under my nose and I am just missing it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Aug 2009   #4
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Breno View Post
Thanks for your speedy reply.

I don't mean to bother, but how can I fine tune the frequency? I can't find the option under the settings menu. Perhaps it is right under my nose and I am just missing it.
Ok, give me a few minutes.
Have to chase away my wife from the HTPC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #5
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Hi,

Well, finetunning is not possible, but you can manually add a channel.

First find out the frequency the channel has to be on in MHz
Example: 132,45 MHz

Now in MCE mainscreen go to:

Settings ->
TV ->
Guide ->
Add Missing channel ->
Channel ->

Press "Add channel"

This will start a short wizard.

In the name box fill in the name of the channel

Press next,

in the two boxes fill in [132],[45] MHz (example)

Press Done or Apply or what ever it's called (I'm on dutch OS)


You're done.

good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #6
Breno

Windows Vista/7
 
 

Thanks for the response again,
Unfortunately for some reason when I go into the Guide menu I am not presented with an "Add Missing Channel" option, or that option in any of the submenus. It does not seem to allow me to configure it manually, just by using those automated setup wizards that scan all frequencies.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #7
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Breno View Post
Thanks for the response again,
Unfortunately for some reason when I go into the Guide menu I am not presented with an "Add Missing Channel" option, or that option in any of the submenus. It does not seem to allow me to configure it manually, just by using those automated setup wizards that scan all frequencies.
First go to settings, then in settings you find TV, in TV you'll find guide etcetera.

Is your TV card analog or digital?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #8
Breno

Windows Vista/7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squonksc View Post
First go to settings, then in settings you find TV, in TV you'll find guide etcetera.

Is your TV card analog or digital?
Under the guide menu in there I am only presented with:
Edit Channels
Edit Favorite Lineups
Guide Page Options
Guide Terms of Service

I cannot add a new channel in the Edit Channels menu either, I can only view the current channels and check out the Tuner and it's settings it has decided, but not change them.

The TV tuner is digital.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #9
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Breno View Post
Under the guide menu in there I am only presented with:
Edit Channels
Edit Favorite Lineups
Guide Page Options
Guide Terms of Service

I cannot add a new channel in the Edit Channels menu either, I can only view the current channels and check out the Tuner and it's settings it has decided, but not change them.

The TV tuner is digital.
Damn, that must be the difference. I have analog cards.

Have you tried a rescan?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #10
Breno

Windows Vista/7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squonksc View Post
Damn, that must be the difference. I have analog cards.

Have you tried a rescan?
Yeah, I have tried a full rescan. Still no luck.

I'm trying to see if it is possible to find some way to change the frequency that it has decided to set on for the channel. That's all I can think of right now. I think it's so strange to work in vista media center but not in windows 7 when it's the same driver and set up from what I can see.

It's also a bummer, because with the over-the-air EPG and extra little things I like more about Windows 7 I was hoping I could switch to 7 to play around with it. For now I might have to stay in Vista if I can't find a solution. Which is a pity seeing every other station but one is fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Strange TV Signal Behaviour




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
strange behaviour
Hello Since a few weeks i noticed a strange behaviour on my comp. My os is win7 Enterprise and every time i startup i have to logoff and login again to use my keyboard,however my mouse is working properly. Anyone a clu how to fix this besides making a new account?? Frans
General Discussion
Strange dllhost.exe behaviour
Recently dllhost.exe started showing on my processes and it eats up 50% of my CPU. I have kis2012 installed and it doesn't start up automatically. When I open up Computer it doesn't show me any drives although I waited some 2 hrs. I did install MalwareBytes and run a scan but it didn't show...
BSOD Help and Support
Strange Security Behaviour
I have Microsoft Security Essentials and Malewarebytes installed. I have them set to do a daily scan at 19.00. However, when I check Action Centre security status I am informed that my system is "potentially unprotected as a scan has not been done for some time". I have often only completed...
System Security
Strange behaviour in setup
Hi, When starting setup from DOS, I mean by rebooting the system and boot from DVD, if you choose to delete your current partition and create a new one for C: Windows 7 creates a 100 MB reserved partition for its use. I think it's not that necessary because to prevent it, I boot using XP CD and...
Installation & Setup
Strange RDP Behaviour
I am having difficulty with RDP and was hoping for some suggestions. I cannot login to RDP outside the network, only from inside the LAN. All addresses are port forwarded in the router. The machines that I am trying to connect to have Win 7 x64 Ultimate. Here is the scenario and what I have...
Network & Sharing
Strange Gadget behaviour
Just yesterday I upgraded from Vista 64 to Seven 64. I performed an OS upgrade (clean install being the best approach I know, but I don't have time currently to rebuild my system from scratch). Everything seems to work fine saving gadgets; only the RSS one is acting in the right way, all the...
Gadgets

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App