Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Will Microsoft Continue WMC Support?

03 Jun 2015   #11
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Berton View Post
Quote:
I can tell you as an absolute fact that Windows Media Center worked on Windows 10 as I loaded it as the dumb ass programmers forgot to disable it
So far the only issue I've had with WMP on Win10 is it won't play commercial video DVDs.

As far as TV, any issue may be due to Europe and other countries having the PAL format and North America and others using NTSC format.
WMP and WMC are two different beasts.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Jun 2015   #12
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

WMC will be supported in Win7 until 2019. In exactly the same way as it currntly is...
NO NEW features
ONLY security updates will be considrred unless you have a support contract with MS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2015   #13
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
WMC will be supported in Win7 until 2019. In exactly the same way as it currntly is...
NO NEW features
ONLY security updates will be considrred unless you have a support contract with MS.
Win 7 will receive extended support (security updates only) until 01/14/2020. Does what you said mean WMC in Win 7 will reach EOL before then?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jun 2015   #14
Berton

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Mac OS X 10.10, Linux Mint 17, Windows 10 Pro TP
 
 

Quote:
WMP and WMC are two different beasts.
I guess typos can happen to the betters of us.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2015   #15
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Berton View Post
Quote:
WMP and WMC are two different beasts.
I guess typos can happen to the betters of us.
Honey, I invented and own typos.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2015   #16
Berton

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Mac OS X 10.10, Linux Mint 17, Windows 10 Pro TP
 
 

Quote:
Honey, I invented and own typos.
But I learned all about them in my 1956 High School typing class on a Smith-Corona manual typewriter [teacher wouldn't let us use her new electric].
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2015   #17
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

All an electric would have done is let you make typos a bit faster.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2015   #18
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
WMC will be supported in Win7 until 2019. In exactly the same way as it currntly is...
NO NEW features
ONLY security updates will be considrred unless you have a support contract with MS.
Win 7 will receive extended support (security updates only) until 01/14/2020. Does what you said mean WMC in Win 7 will reach EOL before then?
Unlike MS, I tend to work on calendar years .

Win7 went RTM in July/August 2009.
It has a 10-year life - so as far as I'm concerned it 'dies' in August 2019.
MS, OTOH, works in quarters - and from the release date (which was around October 2009) - and also starts its calculations from a date other than 1st Jan.
That's why the difference - and Win 7's EOL will be even more heavily publicised than was the EOL of XP, as the date approaches.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2015   #19
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Well, I like M$ advertised EOL better. It will give me a bit more time to decide what to replace Win 7 with (and, right now, it doesn't look like it's going to be a M$ product).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2015   #20
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Berton View Post
Quote:
I can tell you as an absolute fact that Windows Media Center worked on Windows 10 as I loaded it as the dumb ass programmers forgot to disable it
So far the only issue I've had with WMP on Win10 is it won't play commercial video DVDs.

As far as TV, any issue may be due to Europe and other countries having the PAL format and North America and others using NTSC format.
Oh you are way off on that one/ NTSC and PAL are Dead in broadcasting. All TV with a few exceptions in the USA and Europe is now digital and some is 1080 i HD or 720P. SD channels are 480P and have to be converted to feed an old analog TV. TV in the US Canada uses the ASTC and in Europe Australia etc DVB. All of it is just a digital stream wrapped in a scrambled carrier. The same chips can decode the data info depending on the TV firmware.

I can also clarify that Windows 7 will quite happily play both NTSC standard and PAL DVD and upscale them to 1080 to feed my Sony TV. I have a Blu Ray which I use for Blu Ray DVD Region one and at the incredible expense of $20 a DVD burner set to Region 2 to play PAL discs. As I use the computer for a media center that is a hell of a lot more flexible than a region free DVD player.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Will Microsoft Continue WMC Support?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft help and support
How can I get Microsoft help and support instead of that for HP Magic Canvas which I get now?
General Discussion
"Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 is required to continue." Error
Hi, I hope I'm not asking this for the millionth time here, as I tried a search but am afraid it all just confused me more. I believe my problem is related to the Dell all-in-one printer I want to work with my Dell laptop. Recently, Windows updated and I now get this message again upon start up:...
General Discussion
Microsoft permitted to continue Word sales for now
Read The Rest Here: Microsoft permitted to continue Word sales for now
News
Support Microsoft - Buy Windows 7
With new builds appearing almost weekly & the RTM just around the corner, i thought i'd ceate a poll just to get a general view of how people will go about accuiring the RTM when it hits the shelves. BTW, in support of Microsoft I voted for 'Buy it' :p
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App