Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Netflix is turning its back on Windows Media Center users.

06 Oct 2015   #21
DanoNH

Win7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DanoNH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
No skin off my teeth. I refuse to use Netflix after all the years the $#@! inundated my computer with pop-ups and pop-unders, defeating all my efforts to block them until I resorted to getting a paid-for ad blocker. This latest stunt of theirs merely reinforces my decision to ensure the $#@! get not one red cent from me.
I've never seen any Netflix ads or pop-ups. Sounds like you were infected with adware...
Nope. If I was, Avast, SuperAntiSpyware, MBAM, or Spybot S&D would have picked up on it. I haven't gotten one their *&^%$#@! ads since I got AdBlockPlus.
I beg to differ on the programs always picking up on the adware, as based on my own experience and formal malware removal training, malware can hide in tasks, temp areas, browser extensions, and other places on your system. Scrap low-scoring Spybot.

Your OS/web browser(s) could be hijacked. Update MBAM and Avast!, boot to Safe Mode with Networking, and run a full MBAM and Avast scan. You might be surprised. There are also some great forums where you can request a free, comprehensive system analysis:
GeeksToGo.com, BleepingComputer.com and others.

Sorry for the OT everyone...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Oct 2015   #22
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

I think we are having a little bit of misunderstanding here. Netflix does not show adverts in programs as they are based on DVD's and a subscription model. However Netflix advertises its service on line and you may see adverts in your browser while surfing around unless you take steps to block them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2015   #23
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Just a reminder before this thread goes even more off topic - Rules

13) No ad blocking discussions. This site depends on ads to pay for the costs of running and maintaining it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Oct 2015   #24
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DanoNH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DanoNH View Post
I've never seen any Netflix ads or pop-ups. Sounds like you were infected with adware...
Nope. If I was, Avast, SuperAntiSpyware, MBAM, or Spybot S&D would have picked up on it...
...based on my own experience and formal malware removal training, malware can hide in tasks, temp areas, browser extensions, and other places on your system. Scrap low-scoring Spybot.

Your OS/web browser(s) could be hijacked. Update MBAM and Avast!, boot to Safe Mode with Networking, and run a full MBAM and Avast scan. You might be surprised. There are also some great forums where you can request a free, comprehensive system analysis:
GeeksToGo.com, BleepingComputer.com and others.

Sorry for the OT everyone...
I think I know how to keep malware off my computers. I use the Pro version of MBAM and run frequent scans on all my anti-malware programs, which I keep updated. While Spybot may not pick up a lot, it does pick up potential malware that even MBAM and the others occasionally miss.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2015   #25
gadgetboyj

Windows 7 / Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6 / Windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

I think I know how to keep malware off my computers. I use the Pro version of MBAM and run frequent scans on all my anti-malware programs, which I keep updated. While Spybot may not pick up a lot, it does pick up potential malware that even MBAM and the others occasionally miss.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
I think we are having a little bit of misunderstanding here. Netflix does not show adverts in programs as they are based on DVD's and a subscription model. However Netflix advertises its service on line and you may see adverts in your browser while surfing around unless you take steps to block them.
Looks like Indianatone hit the nail on the head. You're talking about Netflix advertising ELSEWHERE ON THE WEB, not that their video streaming service has ads in it. I have absolutely seen Netflix ads all over the web in the past, so this would make perfect sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2015   #26
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gadgetboyj View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

I think I know how to keep malware off my computers. I use the Pro version of MBAM and run frequent scans on all my anti-malware programs, which I keep updated. While Spybot may not pick up a lot, it does pick up potential malware that even MBAM and the others occasionally miss.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
I think we are having a little bit of misunderstanding here. Netflix does not show adverts in programs as they are based on DVD's and a subscription model. However Netflix advertises its service on line and you may see adverts in your browser while surfing around unless you take steps to block them.
Looks like Indianatone hit the nail on the head. You're talking about Netflix advertising ELSEWHERE ON THE WEB, not that their video streaming service has ads in it. I have absolutely seen Netflix ads all over the web in the past, so this would make perfect sense.
The Netflix ads I used to get were pop-ups and, later, pop-unders the jerks would sneak in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2015   #27
Ibby14

windows 7
 
 

I think he's right, big red flag that your PC has malware on it. No pop up unless you do. That pop up blocker just stops you from seeing them. They may be hidden well and hard to get rid of, but they are there, I'd bet money on it. Using any of those removers is no guarantee of anything, sometimes they can be very hard to detect and remove. He's just trying to be helpful. Nothing wrong with that, nobody knows everything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Netflix is turning its back on Windows Media Center users.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft not supporting Netflix in Windows Media Center!?
Hello everyone. I turned on my HTPC this morning and proceeded to Netflix for some streaming fun, and got the error message saying something was wrong with my account. Please login again... I tried.. No good. I searched for the answer and saw nothing about this. I then proceeded to chat...
Media Center
Windows 7 Media Center Netflix Problem
For about a week now I have been unable to watch anything using Netflix via WMC. Netflix via IE works fine. Netflix via WMC will allow me to login and do everything except when I click play I get the following screen prompting me to login (obviously I am already logged in). This screen allows no...
Media Center
Netflix just stopped working in windows 7 Media Center
I have been streaming video from Netflix in Windows 7 media center for about a month. Has worked great with no issues. Suddenly tonight, everything works until I hit play. It looks like it is going to work but stops in the red netflix screen and goes no further. Tried several times. Tried after...
Media Center
NetFlix Streaming Windows 7 Media Center
Does anyone have a trick to get the plug-in for NetFlix working on Windows 7 Media Center? I know of the other 2 unofficial apps (vmcNetFlix, and one other) fans created, but they aren't as good as the official one from Microsoft/Netflix. On Vista, it just automagically appears on the menu...
Media Center
Internet TV & Netflix Comes to Windows 7 Media Center
More...
News
Netflix comes to Windows Media Center
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App