Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft office 2010 excel and outlook

15 Dec 2010   #1
moshezhang

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
Microsoft office 2010 excel and outlook

When I open excel, and go to the file tab, it hangs, and says it is trying to contact server1......which likely is my head office server, and I can't access that server...It also tries to access the server when I want to insert a picture...how do I stop these programs from trying to access the server. I am in another country and will be for quite a while this is a large Pain....
I have changed the library folders to be resident on my computer and I have also changed the default save location to be resident...
Can anyone help?

I am on Windows 7, on a Dell laptop....


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Dec 2010   #2
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moshezhang View Post
When I open excel, and go to the file tab, it hangs, and says it is trying to contact server1......which likely is my head office server, and I can't access that server...It also tries to access the server when I want to insert a picture...how do I stop these programs from trying to access the server. I am in another country and will be for quite a while this is a large Pain....
I have changed the library folders to be resident on my computer and I have also changed the default save location to be resident...
Can anyone help?

I am on Windows 7, on a Dell laptop....
Are these files you are working on local to your machine or are they over some sort of network? If they are network files, it may be timing out trying to create temp/caches of the file you are working on as undo procedures. If it's a network file save a copy of it to somewhere local on your computer and try editing it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2010   #3
pacinitaly

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moshezhang View Post
When I open excel, and go to the file tab, it hangs, and says it is trying to contact server1......which likely is my head office server, and I can't access that server...It also tries to access the server when I want to insert a picture...how do I stop these programs from trying to access the server. I am in another country and will be for quite a while this is a large Pain....
I have changed the library folders to be resident on my computer and I have also changed the default save location to be resident...
Can anyone help?

I am on Windows 7, on a Dell laptop....
Are these files you are working on local to your machine or are they over some sort of network? If they are network files, it may be timing out trying to create temp/caches of the file you are working on as undo procedures. If it's a network file save a copy of it to somewhere local on your computer and try editing it.
excelent advice !!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Dec 2010   #4
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pacinitaly View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moshezhang View Post
When I open excel, and go to the file tab, it hangs, and says it is trying to contact server1......which likely is my head office server, and I can't access that server...It also tries to access the server when I want to insert a picture...how do I stop these programs from trying to access the server. I am in another country and will be for quite a while this is a large Pain....
I have changed the library folders to be resident on my computer and I have also changed the default save location to be resident...
Can anyone help?

I am on Windows 7, on a Dell laptop....
Are these files you are working on local to your machine or are they over some sort of network? If they are network files, it may be timing out trying to create temp/caches of the file you are working on as undo procedures. If it's a network file save a copy of it to somewhere local on your computer and try editing it.
excelent advice !!!
I've worked with MS Office files over SharePoint servers and found that if the SP server was under heavy load or over-loaded, it was taking too long to respond for Word or Excel's satisfaction so it'd time out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft office 2010 excel and outlook




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft Office 2010 - Excel problem
Well not really a problem with Excel, more of a memory problem with me. A few years back (in '03 Office) I collapsed the Excel file by way of a phone conversation. And now I forget nor find the way to un-collapse and get my lines 1 thru 95 back. Although I have used info on lines 96 and on. Any...
Microsoft Office
New Microsoft Office 2010 Activation- Outlook will not function
I hope you can help me with this one. I just purchased a new laptop that only a partial Office 2010 program pre-installed so I installed my authentic Office 2010 copy from my desktop to my laptop and had to call Microsoft to validate my product key. No problems there went smoothly. The problem is...
Browsers & Mail
Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 Hyperlink Problem
Hi guys, I use Microsoft outlook 2010 for my email client, I receive alot of emails with Hyperlinks in it. Every time I try to open a hyperlink I get the following come up on my screen, I found a thread on here about the same issue, although I followed what some of guys said to...
Browsers & Mail
Office 2010 Pro Plus Win7 x 64 Excel reconfigures Office 2010
It seems that there may be a problem in Office 2010. I just installed it to the standard MS default/recommended settings .........all looked good...used Word great..until I use Excel and each time I try to use excel it sets off an 'Office Configuration' screen which I can not stop..it take a few...
Microsoft Office
I can't open Microsoft Office Outlook 2010.
Hello, I'm having an issue with outlook whenever I try to open it, it says "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook." I'm not sure what the problem is, could anyone please help me. I'm running Windows 7 32 bit.
Microsoft Office
Outlook 2010 EXCEL (64 bit) problem
Hi there This might be more related to IE8 rather than EXCEL but I find using EXCEL 2010 X-64 bit version with macros to dynamically create WEB QUERIES (retrieve external data from web sites), download into spread sheet and "Auto" update doesn't work properly. This means some things like Stock...
Microsoft Office


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App