Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Word 2010: how do I change default viewing zoom of document?


19 Apr 2011   #1

 
Word 2010: how do I change default viewing zoom of document?

I have got Microsoft Office 2010 installed on Windows Vista and on Windows 7, and when I open a document in Word, I would like to view it at a zoom of 100% instead of the default zoom of 150%. I tried to follow the instructions over here in order to reduce the zoom permanently, but the macros simply disappear each time I close Word and open it again. I also followed the idiot's guide to installing macros as indicated in the link above, and the macros worked...but as mentioned before, they refuse to stick around.

What do I do in order to prevent the macros from disappearing?

Thanks in advance for your help


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Apr 2011   #2

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

i've never needed macros - i use the zoom slider at the bottom-right of the document window.

with saved documents, it seems that the zoom level is saved with the file - so if you saved at 100%, it will open later at 100%.

to set the level for new blank documents, use the slider, then close down word - the next new document will appear at that same level, with no need to save.

that's how it works for me, anyway.

just tested, and it keeps the level after a reboot too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2011   #3

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
i've never needed macros - i use the zoom slider at the bottom-right of the document window.

with saved documents, it seems that the zoom level is saved with the file - so if you saved at 100%, it will open later at 100%.

to set the level for new blank documents, use the slider, then close down word - the next new document will appear at that same level, with no need to save.

that's how it works for me, anyway.

just tested, and it keeps the level after a reboot too.
That's the issue: I work as a translator and proofreader, and people send me their documents, so when I open them, they open according to the zoom settings (and usually they're always bigger than 100%) under which the other person saved them, not according to mine, the slider only seems to work for the currently opened session in Word.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Apr 2011   #4

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

ah, i'm sorry.

in that case, i'm not very experienced in macros.

hopefully somebody else will be along soon with more knowledge.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2011   #5

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
ah, i'm sorry.

in that case, i'm not very experienced in macros.

hopefully somebody else will be along soon with more knowledge.
I think I figured it out; the macro text described over here has to be pasted into one macro - since the poster was talking of macros, I was trying to create them separately; when I stuffed the whole chunk into one macro, the two macros were automatically split up and generated, one called AutoOpen and the other AutoNew...It seems to be working now, they no longer disappear alternately after I close Word and open it again...*scratches head*

Thanks for helping, and the slider does seem to help when it comes to opening Word (not a document, though) and zooming into the blank document at the desired ratio.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2011   #6

 
 

The problem you face is that the AutoOpen macro is reserved for the current workbook only. AutoNew is the correct syntax if you wish for new workbooks to open in a particular macro in effect (see code below)...

Code:
Sub AutoNew()
'
    ActiveDocument.ShowRevisions = False
'
' Zoom to page width
'
    ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom = 100
'
End Sub

OS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2011   #7

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PallasAthene View Post
I think I figured it out; the macro text described over here has to be pasted into one macro - since the poster was talking of macros, I was trying to create them separately; when I stuffed the whole chunk into one macro, the two macros were automatically split up and generated, one called AutoOpen and the other AutoNew...It seems to be working now, they no longer disappear alternately after I close Word and open it again...*scratches head*

Thanks for helping, and the slider does seem to help when it comes to opening Word (not a document, though) and zooming into the blank document at the desired ratio.
You got there before me
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2011   #8

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orbital Shark View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PallasAthene View Post
I think I figured it out; the macro text described over here has to be pasted into one macro - since the poster was talking of macros, I was trying to create them separately; when I stuffed the whole chunk into one macro, the two macros were automatically split up and generated, one called AutoOpen and the other AutoNew...It seems to be working now, they no longer disappear alternately after I close Word and open it again...*scratches head*

Thanks for helping, and the slider does seem to help when it comes to opening Word (not a document, though) and zooming into the blank document at the desired ratio.
You got there before me
I tried out your code, it works when I open Word and then go to "File" and "New" (am translating from German), but when opening Word, which then automatically creates a blank document, said blank document or any other previously created document refuse to adapt to the zoom of 100%. Ticklish stuff, this macro business :-D I am still wondering why the whole text of the AutoNew and AutoOpen macros had to be copied to one macro, and how they were automatically generated separately after they were created...

In addition, opening/viewing documents from an online source in protected mode has to be deactivated, otherwise a Microsoft Visual Basic error box pops up, saying (I'm translating again) "runtime error '4248': This command is not available because no document is opened".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2011   #9

 
 

If you enter the following code into a new macro in a new document then save it as a template (normal.dot) it should automatically invoke when you open word...

Code:
Sub AutoOpen()
 
ActiveWindow.View.Type = 3 'print layout
ActiveWindow.View.Zoom.Percentage = 100
 
End Sub

 
Sub AutoNew()
 
ActiveWindow.View.Type = 3 'print layout
ActiveWindow.View.Zoom.Percentage = 100
 
End Sub
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2011   #10

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orbital Shark View Post
If you enter the following code into a new macro in a new document then save it as a template (normal.dot) it should automatically invoke when you open word...

Code:
Sub AutoOpen()
 
ActiveWindow.View.Type = 3 'print layout
ActiveWindow.View.Zoom.Percentage = 100
 
End Sub

 
Sub AutoNew()
 
ActiveWindow.View.Type = 3 'print layout
ActiveWindow.View.Zoom.Percentage = 100
 
End Sub
Thank you so much Er, just one more question...how do I save (the document or the macro?) as a template?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Word 2010: how do I change default viewing zoom of document?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33