Method 2: If you do not have Microsoft Works installed on your computer
If you have a Works document (.wps) that you want to open and you do not have Works installed, you can still use Word to open the file. To do this, first use the Works 6-9 Converter in Word and then open the document directly in Word. Step 1: Download the Works 6-9 Converter
If you have previously installed Works on the same computer on which Word is installed, the Works 6-9 Converter is already installed and you can go on to step 2: "Open the Works document in Word."
If you have not previously installed Works on your computer, you must download the Works 6-9 Converter in order to open the document in Word. To download the Works 6-9 Converter, follow these steps:
- If it is open, close Microsoft Word.
In your Web browser, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Microsoft Works 6
- Click Download. The File Download dialog box opens.
- In the File Download dialog box, click Save file.
- Double-click the saved file to start the Works 6-9 Converter installer.
- Click I accept to accept the terms of the License Agreement, and then follow the instructions to install the Works 6-9 Converter.
Note If you do not accept the terms of the License Agreement, the installation cannot continue.
- Click Install to install the file converter on your computer. The Works 6-9 Converter Setup now extracts the Works 6-9 File Converter and installs it on your computer. You can now open the Works file in Word.
If the file does not download or is installed incorrectly, you can go to the "Next Steps" section for more help.Step 2: Open the Works document in Word
You can use Word to open a Works document file (.wps), even if the file has not been converted to Word format (.doc) beforehand, by using the Works 6-9 Converter. Follow these steps to open the Works document by using the Works 6-9 Converter:
- Start Word.
- In Word 2000, Word 2002 or Word 2003, click the File menu, and then click Open. In Word 2007 or Word 2010, click Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.
- In the Open dialog box, follow these steps:
- Change the Look in box to the location of your Works document.
- In the Files of type box, click All Files (*.*).
- Select the Works document (.wps) that you want to open, and then click Open.
- If the document opens correctly, click File, click Save As, and then change the file type to a Microsoft Word document (.doc).
- Save the document and you have successfully converted the file to a Word document.