Ok golden039, lets see if we can't resolve this once and for all
you have wasted too much of your time and anyone elses who has cared to help. it is time to start from the beginning, so here goes.
- COMPLETELY uninstall Office DO NOT REPAIR INSTALL
- Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
- in Search programs and files type Windows Install Cleanup and click on it
- Scroll down and select and Remove one at a time every Microsoft Office listing
- Reinstall your Microsoft Office Product
Jump about and whoop! because with any luck your problem should now be solved and your file associations fixed
I don't know if this is related to your problem but "by installing the MS Office Compatibility Pack
in addition to Microsoft Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003, you will be able to open, edit, and save files using the file formats new to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007
. The Compatibility Pack can also be used in conjunction with the Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003, Excel Viewer 2003, and PowerPoint Viewer 2003 to view files saved in these new formats."