Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft Office 2010 activation failed 0xc004f074

02 Jun 2014   #1
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 
Microsoft Office 2010 activation failed 0xc004f074

A friend's Microsoft Office Professional 2010 install just started throwing this error:

microsoft office activation failed 0xc004f074

Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Google shows that others have had the problem, but it's not clear how to fix it. I've already done a "repair" but that didn't make any difference.

Also, there's no hard copy for the license key. Can you recommend a program to recover the key from the Windows 7 computer? If I can recover the key I'll try to uninstall/reinstall.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Jun 2014   #2
Ranger4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit sp1
 
 

Is this Office Pro 2010 on a stand alone computer or is it part of a company system computer?. As there is no activation code available where did this Office Pro 2010 come from.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2014   #3
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ranger4 View Post
Is this Office Pro 2010 on a stand alone computer or is it part of a company system computer?. As there is no activation code available where did this Office Pro 2010 come from.
It's a standalone HP computer. I was told by my friend's roommate that it was bought retail with Office Professional pre-installed, but I need to get more information. There's no installation DVD, but the installation files are on the PC. If I can recover the key I can uninstall and reinstall. I will know immediately when I try to reinstall if the key is accepted. If it's not accepted when can be done? It has supposedly been working for a long time, so why would it stop?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jun 2014   #4
Windows Sniper

Windows 8.1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Victek View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ranger4 View Post
Is this Office Pro 2010 on a stand alone computer or is it part of a company system computer?. As there is no activation code available where did this Office Pro 2010 come from.
It's a standalone HP computer. I was told by my friend's roommate that it was bought retail with Office Professional pre-installed, but I need to get more information. There's no installation DVD, but the installation files are on the PC. If I can recover the key I can uninstall and reinstall. I will know immediately when I try to reinstall if the key is accepted. If it's not accepted when can be done? It has supposedly been working for a long time, so why would it stop?
Too find your key on Windows, i would suggest using SIW
Download SIW (System Info) - MajorGeeks
Portable Apps - SIW Download

The problem you are going to face is that, this type of Office is an OEM Install, meaning that you're not going to be able to reuse the key to reactivate.


Do you know if your friends machine is 32 or 64 bit?


It may have stopped due to corruption in the registry or even file corruption from a bad shutdown.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2014   #5
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows Sniper View Post

Too find your key on Windows, i would suggest using SIW
Download SIW (System Info) - MajorGeeks
Portable Apps - SIW Download

The problem you are going to face is that, this type of Office is an OEM Install, meaning that you're not going to be able to reuse the key to reactivate.

Do you know if your friends machine is 32 or 64 bit?

It may have stopped due to corruption in the registry or even file corruption from a bad shutdown.
To be clear you're saying that even if I can recover the key I will not be able to activate Office if I uninstall/reinstall?

I'm not sure if the OS is 32 or 64 bit at the moment, but what difference does it make?

What recourse does the customer have in this circumstance?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2014   #6
Windows Sniper

Windows 8.1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Victek View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows Sniper View Post

Too find your key on Windows, i would suggest using SIW
Download SIW (System Info) - MajorGeeks
Portable Apps - SIW Download

The problem you are going to face is that, this type of Office is an OEM Install, meaning that you're not going to be able to reuse the key to reactivate.

Do you know if your friends machine is 32 or 64 bit?

It may have stopped due to corruption in the registry or even file corruption from a bad shutdown.
To be clear you're saying that even if I can recover the key I will not be able to activate Office if I uninstall/reinstall?

I'm not sure if it's 32 or 64 bit at the moment, but what difference does it make?

What recourse does the customer have in this circumstance?
If it was a Pre-installed application provided by the manufacturor it will, in most cases, be a use once activation key, or OEM. So even if you can get it, it will most likely not work.

The reason i ask is because you should be able to run the automatic activation script predeployed by Office.

You will need to type this in CMD.

Where InstallDIR is your installation directory, I.E c:\program files...

[INSTALLDIR]\microsoft\office14\OSPP.vbs /act

It will then re-attempt to activate office with the preinstalled key, it will also give you an output to tell you if the key is past it's activation limit or expired (which happens with a trial)

The only recourse technically available is to contact your system provider (PCWorld, HP or whomever) and ask them if they can provide you with a new key, or phone MS and ask them to reactivate your key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2014   #7
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows Sniper View Post
If it was a Pre-installed application provided by the manufacturor it will, in most cases, be a use once activation key, or OEM. So even if you can get it, it will most likely not work.

The reason i ask is because you should be able to run the automatic activation script predeployed by Office.

You will need to type this in CMD.

Where InstallDIR is your installation directory, I.E c:\program files...

[INSTALLDIR]\microsoft\office14\OSPP.vbs /act

It will then re-attempt to activate office with the preinstalled key, it will also give you an output to tell you if the key is past it's activation limit or expired (which happens with a trial)

The only recourse technically available is to contact your system provider (PCWorld, HP or whomever) and ask them if they can provide you with a new key, or phone MS and ask them to reactivate your key.
Thanks for the details. If I understand correctly I would not want to uninstall/reinstall - instead I should run the activation script and see if that works ( ? )

If I need to contact MS do you know if there's a specific number for software support in the USA?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2014   #8
Windows Sniper

Windows 8.1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Victek View Post

Thanks for the details. If I understand correctly I would not want to uninstall/reinstall - instead I should run the activation script and see if that works ( ? )

If I need to contact MS do you know if there's a specific number for software support in the USA?


The script would be your best bet at activation yes.

Unfortunately i'm in the UK so my support number is completely different to yours. Try running a google search for MS US Support number.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2014   #9
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows Sniper View Post
The script would be your best bet at activation yes.

Unfortunately i'm in the UK so my support number is completely different to yours. Try running a google search for MS US Support number.
OK thanks! I'll give it a go and post back when I learn something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2014   #10
Dude

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

Victek, have a look here, it explains how to activate by phone

Active Office 2010 by Phone Get OEM Office Software 's Blog
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft Office 2010 activation failed 0xc004f074




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
activation problem with error 0xc004f074
Hello Everything was ok and suddently this message to activate windows appeared, I followed the directions, it shows always the error about KMS. Microsoft greek forums are asleep and noone seems to help and I nothing about it. it shows that in 13 days it will go off..I have bought it from a shop...
Windows Updates & Activation
New Microsoft Office 2010 Activation- Outlook will not function
I hope you can help me with this one. I just purchased a new laptop that only a partial Office 2010 program pre-installed so I installed my authentic Office 2010 copy from my desktop to my laptop and had to call Microsoft to validate my product key. No problems there went smoothly. The problem is...
Browsers & Mail
windows 7 enterprise activation error 0xC004F074
please help me fix this i didn't do anything i was on vacation for a week and i came back and turned my computer on and it says windows activation and my desktop is black and in the corner it says build 7601 not genuine please help ASAP i used MGA Diag tool and this is the results ...
Windows Updates & Activation
Problem with Microsoft Office 2010 - activation error code 0xc004f074
My Microsoft Office package was already activated, until couple days ago while opening Office Word I had this kind of message: This copy of Microsoft Office has not been activated (*translated from Finnish) Error code: 0xC004F074 I don't understand what's wrong with this. The message...
Windows Updates & Activation
How to Rearm Microsoft Office 2010 to Extend Activation
How to Rearm Microsoft Office 2010 to Extend Activation Grace Period for Another 30 Days Source Go to Control Panel -> Administrator Tools -> Services, or type services.msc in Start Search. Stop the Office Software Protection service. Open a Command with elevated privileges. Run the...
Microsoft Office
Office 2010 Wants activation after 30 days
Hi all Anybody who has been using the leaked preview of Office 2010 will get an activation message after 30 days-- and you can't activate it yet as it's not officially out. It won't stop working however. But since I downloaded Office Enterprise 2007 with the FREE Technet subscription on this...
Microsoft Office


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App