Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: thumbnails slow

03 Dec 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 
thumbnails slow

Welcome everyone. This is something Ive been trying to figure out for awhile. Lets say I have 100 folders of photos under Pictures folder. When I open Explorer and select Pictures it takes forever to populate the thumbnails. I can wait until its finished, close explorer and reopen and it will take just as long to do it again. Why isnt it simply re caching them for instant viewing?

Another odd thing, if I right click in a folder and change the Sorting from Name to Date, it takes FOREVER to rebuild the thumbnails. Its as is Windows 7 is redoing the task for the first time, each time. I want this stuff instant.

Any thoughts on what I can check to speed this up. What a PITA.

It will also do this with as few as 25 program install files under Downloads. Takes forever.

Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Dec 2010   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Hi,

Sounds like your thumbnail cache is disabled. Here's a link from this forum: Thumbnail Cache - Enable or Disable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by evil c View Post
Hi,

Sounds like your thumbnail cache is disabled. Here's a link from this forum: Thumbnail Cache - Enable or Disable
Not sure if it was or not but applied it. I'm on a fresh clean install. So whatever the default was.

Problem persists. My actively used folders are set up to Sort by Date Modified. If I let the thumbs populate then leave the folder and come back to it, it takes forever to Sort by Date Modified again.

I'm thinking this issue is more related to the Sort function rather than simply populating thumbs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Dec 2010   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

The more content, the more time you need to wait until Windows Explorer reads all the metadata+thumbs. Nothing wrong with that, according to what I've experienced with Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2010   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gornot View Post
The more content, the more time you need to wait until Windows Explorer reads all the metadata+thumbs. Nothing wrong with that, according to what I've experienced with Windows 7.
Do you know a way to force 7 to remember the folder sorted by 'state' so when you leave the folder and come back to it - its how you left it? The folders seem to revert back to a default and forgets how you want it sorted. So it goes through that long process of sorting all over again. Its silly really.

To clarify... 7 remembers how you want it sorted, by Date Modified, for example, but has to perform the Sort each time you go back to the folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2010   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

100 folders of photos, you must be a keen photographer! I might be talking rubbish here, if so I'm well sure someone will point that out to me. I have lots of photos as well, but what I do is store them on a separate USB drive. I don't know what program you use to view them but I use ACDsee, which creates its own thumbnail cache. All my photos load almost instantly. When you've modified your photos why don't you save them in a separate folder. What are you trying to do with them and also I guess it depends on the size of each photo, as Gornot says. Perhaps if the photos were resized down they would load faster?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2010   #7

Windows 8 Core X64
 
 

It's the rendering of all the thumbnails that is causing it to be so slow. Sorting takes almost no time at all. To verify this, change the view to Details and you'll see what I mean.

It sure sounds like your thumbnail cache is disabled. Did you apply the Enable_Thumbnail_Cache.zip (unzipped and double clicked on the .reg file)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2010   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
It's the rendering of all the thumbnails that is causing it to be so slow. Sorting takes almost no time at all. To verify this, change the view to Details and you'll see what I mean.

It sure sounds like your thumbnail cache is disabled. Did you apply the Enable_Thumbnail_Cache.zip (unzipped and double clicked on the .reg file)?
Yes I applied it. I was just trying something a minute ago. I went around and clicked all the main folders i use in the left pane of explorer to populate the thumbs in the right pane of explorer. I closed explorer. Opened it, and started clicking the same folders again. It had to repopulate the thumbs again. Its as if the cache isnt big enough??

I'm talking lots of photos, videos, documents etc. but each folder carries their own file ext. all videos in one video folder. Im on a clean install of windows. Have not gone and tweaked anything yet but the thumb cache as mentioned.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2010   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by evil c View Post
100 folders of photos, you must be a keen photographer! I might be talking rubbish here, if so I'm well sure someone will point that out to me. I have lots of photos as well, but what I do is store them on a separate USB drive. I don't know what program you use to view them but I use ACDsee, which creates its own thumbnail cache. All my photos load almost instantly. When you've modified your photos why don't you save them in a separate folder. What are you trying to do with them and also I guess it depends on the size of each photo, as Gornot says. Perhaps if the photos were resized down they would load faster?
Yes. tons of photos. lots of family pics and vids plus I write and publish product reviews, tons of product testing. I have well over 100,000 photos in various folders. Years and years worth but Im just trying to work with a few recent works. Not so concerned about fetching archived stuff. The sole reason for buy the last 2 pc's for an upgrade was to try to get faster performance with folders in explorer. 1st pc was Vista now this i7 with 7. I think I had it made with XP in comparison on an old pc years ago.

I prefer not to use 3rd party but its looking like I might have to. Picasa loads all this stuff just fine but Im old school and stick with explorer most often. I miss XP style explorer.

I cant go resizing everything at this point, wouldnt want to anyway as I need originals often.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2010   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Jeez! 100,000 photos! I miss XP explorer too. Still, there's progress for you. MS knows better! The computers get faster and the OS gets bigger. I'm not a fan of Picasa myself. There's plenty of 3rd party progs out there. Ask your fellow reviewers what they use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 thumbnails slow




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33