Found a solution and fixed my Laptop. So to prevent any more 'disappearances', need to change a registry key. The steps are explained by McAfee Support in the following link: https://community.mcafee.com/message/190575
I've copied the solution below.
First open McAfee and disable access protection in:
Navigation/General settings and Alerts/Access Protection. Un-tick
'Use Access Protection'
1) Open the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and browse to this
2) Locate the entry ExcludedItem_16 in the list
3) double-click on ExcludedItem_16
4) change the value 3|3|*.TMP to 3|3|*.LOG
5) Close the Registry Editor, save your work and reboot the
Remember to go back and Re-enable 'Access Protection'
If in step 4, the value is already 3|3|*.LOG, then uninstall/reinstall McAfee. The registry value will become 3|3|*.TMP, and then you can follow the above steps.