Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cannot play many videos with Media Player


22 Jul 2009   #11

Windows 7
 
 

Ok, despite some of the QUESTIONABLE advice in here, I'll explain what happened.

You installed a new OS. Thus, all your secondary support software (such as QuickTime) is no longer installed. You need to REINSTALL it.

But this brings up a bigger question... how is it that you didn't know this? Do you expect that when you install a new OS it will know how to open PowerPoint files without installing Office? Or that it will know how to work with .PSD files without installing Photoshop?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jul 2009   #12

Windows XP / Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gurm42 View Post
Ok, despite some of the QUESTIONABLE advice in here, I'll explain what happened.

You installed a new OS. Thus, all your secondary support software (such as QuickTime) is no longer installed. You need to REINSTALL it.

But this brings up a bigger question... how is it that you didn't know this? Do you expect that when you install a new OS it will know how to open PowerPoint files without installing Office? Or that it will know how to work with .PSD files without installing Photoshop?

I've had problems with many different types of video files, not just .mov files. I am fairly well versed in computer use and have installed many different typs of OS's over the years. I did not have any problems playing all types of videos with 7 Beta, so when I began having problems with 7 RC it just raised some questions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #13

window 7
 
 

i think file u wants to play is a raw file or does not support the format . cheek it with k lite codec pack
or quick time.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Jul 2009   #14

Windows XP / Windows 7
 
 

Installing QuickTime solved this problem. Thanks for all the replies.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #15

window 7
 
 

hey dude, what u have send me its working in my PC window 7 media player. u try also. if its not working re-install your media player.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #16

window 7
 
 

install sound driver.directX,quick time,k-lite codec pack
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #17

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by go away View Post
install sound driver.directX,quick time,k-lite codec pack
He already mentioned QuickTime fixed it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #18

Windows 7 x64 rtm
 
 

I see a lot of people recommending K-lite codec pack. K-lite was great for XP, but be warned if you use your system for other than playing video you will run into problems in Windows 7 with K-lite. So far I've had problems with one game crashing and bad sound quality using Sonar 8 Producer(DAW) due to K-lite.I switched to shark007 codec pack for Windows 7 and had not had any problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #19

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by billdo View Post
I see a lot of people recommending K-lite codec pack. K-lite was great for XP, but be warned if you use your system for other than playing video you will run into problems in Windows 7 with K-lite. So far I've had problems with one game crashing and bad sound quality using Sonar 8 Producer(DAW) due to K-lite.I switched to shark007 codec pack for Windows 7 and had not had any problems.
I see shark007 codec pack is using FFDshow codec and Haali splitter.
That's all I use anyway installed individually and they cover all MPEGs and MKVs. Also using Media Player Classic and VLC(not that much).
Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #20

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit RTM
 
 

Yes, bogging your PC down with too many codecs can affect DirectX applications such as games.

Just save a log file from a dxdiag report and you'll see all of the DirectShow codecs a system has installed. Imagine doubling or tripling that number.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cannot play many videos with Media Player




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33