I have had this Windows 7 laptop for about a year and a half now, and ever since Monday (August 1st) I have been experiencing problems.
Basically, ever since then I have noticed a recurring problem during audio/video playback, in which it will occasionally stutter. I often listen to music while browsing the internet, and so this problem gets very noticeable.
I can determine that it is not the files I am listening to, since it seems to happen during any kind of playback - In Windows Media Player, Spotify, and even YouTube browsing.
What's even more strange is that sometimes, while recording my voice (I do so quite often) I noticed the recording becoming ruined due to this problem. Here is a small audio sample that shows what happened: Messed Up Audio Sample
(Right about where I talk about Diablo)
However during playback, instead of a speeding up, it's more of a grinding/stuttering/slowing down in the audio and video. I can even notice my mouse stuttering and glitching when this happens.
This makes all of my recordings useless, and my job involves recording, so I simply must fix this problem. Ever since noticing the problem wasn't going to alleviate itself on August 2nd, I have been searching heavily for a solution.
Please do not suggest that my computer is not powerful enough to take playback; I have been doing this same thing ever since I got the computer (over a year ago) and have only recently been experiencing problems.
I will say this; on Monday I did have a small virus encounter with the Win 7 Security 2012 thing, the rogue antivirus. Luckily I was able to get rid of it very quickly with Malwarebytes.
I have already used CCleaner to fix any registry problems.
I only say this because I'm not sure if it will help someone figure out exactly what my problem is. However I am fairly certain that it's not another virus; I do regular scans that haven't found anything else.
I can't figure out what might be causing this, as it happens randomly. I have done countless things, including (but not necessarily limited to; I may have forgotten things):
-Updating my graphics/sound/chipset drivers
-Disabling Avast (thinking that maybe it was scanning every media file I was opening)
-Defragmenting my computer (this caused me to not be able to do a system restore to Jul31, which was going to be my backup plan)
-Getting new versions of Shockwave and Flash
If anything may be connected to it, I'm thinking possibly internet usage in general. Last night I noticed that the problem happened more often once I had Skype open, and even more often as I was loading something large online. However I of course can't guarantee that's the problem.
Please give me some guidance here. I do not have the money to buy another computer, and (as I said earlier) my job depends on this computer to be capable of watching and making media.