I've been having a problem getting my video thumbnails to show ever since I installed Windows Media Player 12. I already have VLC Media Player installed and they were showing up fine before. Now it's only showing video thumbnails for .avi and .wmv files (that I've noticed), but not for .mp4. I've done a lot of searching and tried many things to get it back the way it used to be.
- "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked and folders have been reset.
- I've deleted my IconCache and rebooted.
- VLC has all of its default file extension privileges, including .mp4.
- I tried uninstalling VLC, restoring all of WMP's file type associations and rebooting.
- Disabled WMP in "Turn Windows features on or off" and rebooted.
- Downgraded WMP from 12 to 11.
- Added "DisableThumbnailCache" to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced with value set to 0 and rebooted.
- Running "regsvr32 shmedia.dll"/"regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll" gives an error saying the module failed to load. I checked and it wasn't even in my system32 folder, so I tried downloading shmedia.dll, putting in my system32 folder and trying again. This time I got an error saying the module may not be compatible with the version of Windows I'm running.
None of these helped bring my video thumbnails back. If anyone's got any more suggestions, I'm all ears.