Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: DVD Quality

03 Oct 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 
DVD Quality

I have transferred a Video Tape to a digital file. I then made a DVD from the file. In the future when I burn additional DVD's will there be any difference in quality if I
make the DVD from the file or burn the additional DVD from the first one I made?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Oct 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

I suggest you get the freeware software, Imgburn, and use it to create an ISO image file of that DVD. From that ISO file, every dvd reproduction you create will be a perfect copy of the original DVD that you made the ISO file from. Of course, you can also use this software to write that ISO file to a DVD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post
I suggest you get the freeware software, Imgburn, and use it to create an ISO image file of that DVD. From that ISO file, every dvd reproduction you create will be a perfect copy of the original DVD that you made the ISO file from. Of course, you can also use this software to write that ISO file to a DVD.
I have Imburn. My question was is there any difference in quality coping from a file or burning a copy from a DVD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Oct 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post
I suggest you get the freeware software, Imgburn, and use it to create an ISO image file of that DVD. From that ISO file, every dvd reproduction you create will be a perfect copy of the original DVD that you made the ISO file from. Of course, you can also use this software to write that ISO file to a DVD.
I have Imburn. My question was is there any difference in quality coping from a file or burning a copy from a DVD?
It's always better to use the original to make copies, the more you copy a copy, the more the quality degrades from each copy produced, the original will always be the best, so if you can, try and burn from disc to disc, but if you burn from the copy(backup) then the quality will be the same as the disc you originally burned off.

Hope this helps Jim

Dave
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
the more you copy a copy, the more the quality degrades from each copy produced
total bullcrap.
The above statement may refer to an old audio casstte from the 80's . . . but
it certainly DOES NOT refer to an ISO copy of an original, home made, DVD.

You can litteraly make 100's of thousands of DVD's, each identical to the original,
using an ISO of the original.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2011   #6

Win 7
 
 

That's VCR thinking. It does not apply when copying digital media. With DVDs, there is no difference whatever when makes copies of copies of copies.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2011   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

It is still best to copy from a master ISO as any defects on the disk will not be propagated. In time these would degrade the quality.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2011   #8
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I think the answer to your basic question is no. A digital bit copy is a digital bit copy.
However, even in the digital environment if you decode a lossy encoding and re-encode you will get noise/error accumulation.
Just think of jpegs in the still image situation. You can bit copy them as much as you like but decode in an editor and re-encode you get some error.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
the more you copy a copy, the more the quality degrades from each copy produced
total bullcrap.
The above statement may refer to an old audio casstte from the 80's . . . but
it certainly DOES NOT refer to an ISO copy of an original, home made, DVD.

You can litteraly make 100's of thousands of DVD's, each identical to the original,
using an ISO of the original.
you have misread my post, i said if you make a copy of a copy of a copy.

"but if you burn from the copy(backup) then the quality will be the same as the disc you originally burned off"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2011   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Thanks very much for all of your input.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 DVD Quality





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: DVD Quality
Thread Forum
Graphics Card Picture Quality and Video Quality Graphic Cards
Wallpaper quality Customization
Mic quality Sound & Audio
bad quality Music, Pictures & Video
VHS to DVD quality Software
Bad Quality Graphic Cards
Bad channel quality Media Center

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33