Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Missing file miniatures in Explorer

01 Apr 2012   #1
Wercik

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Missing file miniatures in Explorer

Hi, today's problem is:
I can't see movie miniatures any more. Also: there's no avi in Default Programs in Control Panel. Is it possible it's because I uninstalled Windows' 7 crapware like Silverlight, .NET Framework and Visual C++? If so - which one of them should I reinstall. Also: maybe reinstalling VLC will simply help? I'll check, wait a minute. Ok, it didn't help, now I'll restart my computer and see again...

>>EDIT:
No, it didn't help. I mean now I have at least avi in Default Programs, but still - no miniatures.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Apr 2012   #2
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Hello !
Do you mean video thumbnails ? If so, download and install Shark007's FREE Codec solutions - Windows 7 codecs . When installed, run the program, and check "Shark007 SUGGESTED settings". It will generate all the thumbnails again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #3
Wercik

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I have no idea what thumbnails are (besides these on my thumbs), the translation is miniatures. What I mean are the little pictures of (usually) the first frames of movies, which are usually shown instead of pictures of icons.
If we are not talking about it, I could not care less about codecs, I have not used crapware since 2007 and I would not like to start now, just because I do not have miniatures. Although I would really much like to have them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Apr 2012   #4
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wercik View Post
I have no idea what thumbnails are (besides these on my thumbs), the translation is miniatures. What I mean are the little pictures of (usually) the first frames of movies, which are usually shown instead of pictures of icons.
That is what called thumbnail . Not miniature.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wercik View Post
If we are not talking about it, I could not care less about codecs, I have not used crapware since 2007 and I would not like to start now, just because I do not have miniatures. Although I would really much like to have them.
If thumbnail preview is not disabled there in your machine (check it; if disabled, use Thumbnail Previews - Enable or Disable to enable it) and still those are not showing, you are to upgrade codecs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #5
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wercik View Post
Hi, today's problem is:
I can't see movie miniatures any more. Also: there's no avi in Default Programs in Control Panel. Is it possible it's because I uninstalled Windows' 7 crapware like Silverlight, .NET Framework and Visual C++? If so - which one of them should I reinstall. Also: maybe reinstalling VLC will simply help? I'll check, wait a minute. Ok, it didn't help, now I'll restart my computer and see again...

>>EDIT:
No, it didn't help. I mean now I have at least avi in Default Programs, but still - no miniatures.
You might want to re install what you call "crapware".
They are essential for operation of other programs besides videos.

Of course it is your choice.
Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Try this setting:


Attached Thumbnails
Missing file miniatures in Explorer-2012-04-01_1243.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #7
Wercik

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
You might want to re install what you call "crapware".
They are essential for operation of other programs besides videos.

Of course it is your choice.
Good luck.
Oh but I did, it was the first thing I did after I read about codecs and almost smiled. Didn't help. Oh, and another symptom:
<-- these are from the same folder at the same time ofc.

WHS, checked this setting already, sorry.

>>UPDATE: Looks like only newly created files lack thumbnails...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Hmm, the following might have happened.

Originally .avi as assocoiated to WMP which would show thumbnails. Then you installed VLC and it associated .avi to VLC which only shows the traffic cone.

Is that possible? If yes, all you have to do is to change the file association back to WMP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #9
carwiz

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

Never seen the cone before nor do I know what it means other than maybe "under construction". Do you have custom software to organize libraries or folders? Or maybe a custom indexer? On what screen are you viewing the thumbnails?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #10
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carwiz View Post
Never seen the cone before nor do I know what it means other than maybe "under construction". Do you have custom software to organize libraries or folders? Or maybe a custom indexer? On what screen are you viewing the thumbnails?
VLC uses the cone for all filetypes. Here I have a mixure of .flv files that are associated to VLC and .wmv files that are associated to WMP.


Attached Images
Missing file miniatures in Explorer-2012-04-01_1511.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Missing file miniatures in Explorer




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
sfc "Cannot repair member file...Desktop.ini....file is missing"
No problems with my computer, but in the interest of PM after reading of problems here at 7f I ran sfc /scannow and got a whole lot of errors, every one of them related to the file Desktop.ini. Just one example from the CBS.log: 2014-11-22 11:19:45, Info CSI 000001ab Cannot...
Performance & Maintenance
File Explorer Missing Search
When I open file explorer (Open/Save dialog or insert image dialog) in Excel - it doesn't include search tab, but when similar dialogs are opened in other Office application there is search tab. Also xlsx files have wrong excel icon - it is showing windows excel component 2010 icon. Window...
Microsoft Office
Changing .exe File Type Icons In File Explorer But Nowhere Else
Hello Everyone, I have kind of an odd question, I have been looking into changing file type icons when I came across an interesting conflict. I would like to be able to change the file type icon for all .exe files to the same file type icon within a file explorer. If you were to try to do...
Customization
Copy file address after doing a file search in windows explorer
Hi All I have a rather large file system with lots of folders & subfolders. When I want to save previously on Xp operating system I'd search in explorer open the folder I want then copy the address (e.g c:\customer records\client name\job address). In windows 7, when I copy the folder address i...
General Discussion
Bottom bar Missing in File Explorer (Windows 7 x64)
As the title states, The bottom bar (I don't know what its called) is missing from my file explorer. Have look: http://i46.tinypic.com/17r8s3.png Any help would be appreciated! P.S: Also, do you know the registry key to disable the irritating "Sticky keys" Popup which occur if you press shift...
General Discussion
Win Explorer arrows missing, cursor spinning, libraries missing
New laptop (Lenovo W510), but I swapped boot disk for an SSD and reinstalled Win 7 64bit from recovery disks. I moved My Documents to D: and when I open Windows Explorer all looks fine. When I click on an arrow beside My Documents (or Music or anything), the arrow selected disappears, folder...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App