Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: dual monitors using hdmi

03 Apr 2012   #1
djc45

windows 7 home
 
 
dual monitors using hdmi

i am trying to use two monitors using the hdmi to my tv what i want to do is play a video streem in full screen mode on my tv and surf the web on my laptop screen i can get this to work but the full screen mode on my tv reverts back to a small window if i click the mouse on my laptop screen
hope you can understand my question
thanks for any help


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Apr 2012   #2
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

I believe there is an issue with WMC (and WMP too?) regarding full-screen playback mode, and stealing the mouse cursor. The usual solution is simply to run that playback in window mode, but stretch the window to essentially be as big as the screen. That's effectively the same thing, image size-wise.

But if your keyboard has a Windows key on it, I believe that even if one monitor is truly in full-screen mode that if you press the "Windows" key this will release the mouse and you can use it on your second monitor and do what you want there, while full-screen playback with WMC on the first monitor continues unaffected.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2012   #3
djc45

windows 7 home
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
I believe there is an issue with WMC (and WMP too?) regarding full-screen playback mode, and stealing the mouse cursor. The usual solution is simply to run that playback in window mode, but stretch the window to essentially be as big as the screen. That's effectively the same thing, image size-wise.

But if your keyboard has a Windows key on it, I believe that even if one monitor is truly in full-screen mode that if you press the "Windows" key this will release the mouse and you can use it on your second monitor and do what you want there, while full-screen playback with WMC on the first monitor continues unaffected.
thank you for the rerply
i have tried what you said but i cannot streach as i am usjng opera to streem then live video so i only have the option of full screen
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Apr 2012   #4
Sardonicus

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

As Dsperber eluded to, it should be an extended display, with each display having it's own number (1, 2).
If it's extended, you should be able to drag a window back and forth between display 1 and 2.

Are you able to open a browser window for Opera in display 1?
Are you able to open a separate browser window in display 1 and drag it display 2?

If so, opening the Opera stream full-screen in display 1, and switching to display 2, shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully you're using the Nvidia or AMD driver package as they will provide more display options than the Windows 7
basic driver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2012   #5
djc45

windows 7 home
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sardonicus View Post
As Dsperber eluded to, it should be an extended display, with each display having it's own number (1, 2).
If it's extended, you should be able to drag a window back and forth between display 1 and 2.

Are you able to open a browser window for Opera in display 1?
Are you able to open a separate browser window in display 1 and drag it display 2?

If so, opening the Opera stream full-screen in display 1, and switching to display 2, shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully you're using the Nvidia or AMD driver package as they will provide more display options than the Windows 7
basic driver.
thankyou for your reply
i can drag the icon for opera into my extended display (2) but when i click to open it it still opens on my laptop (1) i can drag this into (2) and go to full screen on the web page then i open the player to streem the video and click to play it in full screen but when i go back to (1) and try to do anything it reverts bak to small screen ih (2) any more help please
regards
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2012   #6
Sardonicus

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Are you using the Windows 7 driver or the AMD, Nvidia package drivers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2012   #7
djc45

windows 7 home
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sardonicus View Post
Are you using the Windows 7 driver or the AMD, Nvidia package drivers?
thanks for the reply
i am not sure its what ever came with the laptop hp g62 note book windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 dual monitors using hdmi




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
ATI Radeon HD 5450 Dual Monitors HDMI & VGA Resolution Problems
HI. I have a Samsung HD monitor and a VGA SuncMaster Samsung monitor. The HD monitor is what I use on my desktop all the time. I am wanting to have dual monitors to use on occasion and use both these at the same time with a mirror image. The graphic card ATI Radeon HD 5450 has a place for my HD...
Graphic Cards
Is Nvidia dual monitors a poor cousin to Windows 7 dual monitors?..
Having just upgraded from XP using the Nvidia dual monitor desktops for years, I was surprised to find Windows 7 has this feature in-built with the added bonus of slideshow desktop images C00L! So beyond Win7 eye candy which is better, Does it come down to games running faster under the Nvidia...
Graphic Cards
What is the difference between HDMI and VGA monitors?
I know the difference is one can use HDMI and the other can use VGA. There are 2 monitors on the Dell website, they are both Ultra Sharp and they are both full HD. One is 490 and the other is 322.80. This is the most expensive one - Dell UltraSharp U2413 61cm(24") PremierColor LED monitor...
Hardware & Devices
Dual Monitors, HDMI monitor doesn't display BIOS
My old monitor has problems turning on, I can leave it on for 30hrs before it decides to display a picture, or I can manipulate it by unplugging the DVI cable from the back, but sometimes even that takes a few tries. It's off warranty and for reference it's a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW. So I...
Graphic Cards
Dual Monitors & HDMI Switch: Desktop Issue
Hi - I am running Win 7 Ultimate with a GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB and two SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" Monitors. Now I have them set to run through a Monoprice HDMI Switch because I also have my 360 running on the one monitor as well. Now my issue comes into play, which I am not sure if its...
Graphic Cards
Dual Monitors - Quick HDMI switch
I have an LCD TV with HDMI I like to watch movies on from my laptop. It's got an ATI HD2600 card. I had issues setting up dual screens, extended vs clone etc. I just wanted a quick an d easy plug in to watch the movie, unplug to compute again. But would always have to adjust resolution on...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:02.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App