Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need to convert wma to mp3 file


31 Aug 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Need to convert wma to mp3 file

Trying to upload my music to Google Music through the Music Manager software, but it refuses to upload wma (protected) audio files. I thought fre:ac Audio Converter would do the trick, but it couldn't.

Does anyone know of a good freeware that can do this?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Aug 2012   #2

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

IF you have itunes you can convert it, by going to preferences then, general, import settings, select the mp3 encoder from the drop menu. now press file and add the song, to make sure it is in mp3 right click it in itunes and press get info. then you will have to navigate to the itunes folder under music, there your mp3 version will be.

If you want quick conversion here: Online Audio Converter (MP3, WAV, Ogg, WMA, M4A, AAC) – media.io
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Skylais View Post
IF you have itunes you can convert it, by going to preferences then, general, import settings, select the mp3 encoder from the drop menu. now press file and add the song, to make sure it is in mp3 right click it in itunes and press get info. then you will have to navigate to the itunes folder under music, there your mp3 version will be.

If you want quick conversion here: Online Audio Converter (MP3, WAV, Ogg, WMA, M4A, AAC) media.io
thanks Skylais, I'll try this!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Aug 2012   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Freemake Video Converter will do it. Get it at freemake.com.

Choose the audio button, navigate to your file or files, open them, go to the convert menu and select the mp3 format.

You can also choose the bitrate of the mp3 to be produced and mono if mono is OK with you---takes up half the space with equal quality.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Freemake Video Converter will do it. Get it at freemake.com.

Choose the audio button, navigate to your file or files, open them, go to the convert menu and select the mp3 format.

You can also choose the bitrate of the mp3 to be produced and mono if mono is OK with you---takes up half the space with equal quality.
is this an audio/video converting hybrid? you mention mono, but I'm an audiophile. Is there a stereo option at least?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Mew View Post
is this an audio/video converting hybrid? you mention mono, but I'm an audiophile. Is there a stereo option at least?
It does both audio and video, but is mostly known for video.

I think the default setting for audio conversion is stereo, but you have control over the bitrate and can choose mono if desired.

I'm an audiophile too---but stereo wasn't introduced to commercial recording until 1958. So any 1957 and earlier recording is mono. No reason to bother with stereo with songs from that era---which is mostly what I listen to. A 160 k bitrate mono recording includes the same information as on a 320 k bitrate stereo version of the same recording----and both play back over both speakers. The mono version takes up half the space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Mew View Post
is this an audio/video converting hybrid? you mention mono, but I'm an audiophile. Is there a stereo option at least?
It does both audio and video, but is mostly known for video.

I think the default setting for audio conversion is stereo, but you have control over the bitrate and can choose mono if desired.

I'm an audiophile too---but stereo wasn't introduced to commercial recording until 1958. So any 1957 and earlier recording is mono. No reason to bother with stereo with songs from that era---which is mostly what I listen to. A 160 k bitrate mono recording includes the same information as on a 320 k bitrate stereo version of the same recording----and both play back over both speakers. The mono version takes up half the space.
I love the earlier music too, 1940s in particular. Today's music could learn a thing or two from those times. I love the sound of Jo Stafford and Bobby Darin, they bring tears to my eyes!

Still trying to convert these 3 wma files I've got, and I just learned from iTunes that they are DRM protected, not unprotected. So I'm not exactly sure what to do now.. I want to try Freemake next, but I might get the same 'DRM protected' message. I may still give it a shot in a few hours.

I've been Googling some other programs, but I'm only finding trial software that will only convert up to 1 minute, which is just silly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2012   #8

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Give this a try, it should make mp3 versions and put em in itunes for you, bypassing the DRM.
:AnalogWhole - Download
Best i could find in a quick search, not sure how it will play out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2012   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Mew View Post
I love the sound of Jo Stafford and Bobby Darin, they bring tears to my eyes!

Still trying to convert these 3 wma files I've got, and I just learned from iTunes that they are DRM protected, not unprotected. So I'm not exactly sure what to do now.. I want to try Freemake next...
I'm not sure what you can do about DRM protection. I'd guess there are ways around it, but I gave up on iTunes and Apple in general, so I can't really help on that. I have never even attempted to remove DRM or convert a DRM file.

Stafford and Darin. Two of my favorites as well. "Beyond The Sea" is in my top 10 songs of all-time by anybody. It would have been a kick had they done duets. By all accounts, nobody ever said a bad word about Jo Stafford.

Here she is in her "Cinderalla G. Stump" mode.


Attached Thumbnails
Need to convert wma to mp3 file-jo-stafford-red-ingle-noel-boggs-1947-larger.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2012   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Skylais View Post
Give this a try, it should make mp3 versions and put em in itunes for you, bypassing the DRM.
:AnalogWhole - Download
Best i could find in a quick search, not sure how it will play out.
I appreciate your help very much.. from the look of things, ripping the sound output is not too bad of an idea right now. I have done some Googling myself, and I have found that it is surprisingly difficult to directly convert a protected wma into a mp3 for free in this day & age

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I'm not sure what you can do about DRM protection. I'd guess there are ways around it, but I gave up on iTunes and Apple in general, so I can't really help on that. I have never even attempted to remove DRM or convert a DRM file.

Stafford and Darin. Two of my favorites as well. "Beyond The Sea" is in my top 10 songs of all-time by anybody. It would have been a kick had they done duets. By all accounts, nobody ever said a bad word about Jo Stafford.

Here she is in her "Cinderalla G. Stump" mode.
Oh trust me I have given up on Apple too, a looooong time ago. A few years ago I had accidentally deleted a few albums from a USB flash drive.. and Apple would not let me re-download them, even though the albums were logged in my account. I'll admit it was a few years ago, but I still haven't forgotten their service. Luckily today, music purchases are automatically backed up to these new cloud services, so the threat of losing them are almost a thing of the past.

Indeed my friend, much can be said of Stafford and Darin. Stafford's You Belong To Me and Make Love To Me hit me where it hurts most, and proved to me that I was born in the wrong era. As for Beyond The Sea.. well that's a masterpiece, so good it had even made into a 2007 videogame called Bioshock

I have actually decided to scrap these 3 wma files, converting them is more of a hassle than I had expected. I originally downloaded them off the internet several years ago, so I really have no idea of their origin. I really appreciate your help though, it is nice to meet ya!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need to convert wma to mp3 file




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Need to convert wma to mp3 file
Thread Forum
Solved How to convert a windows WIM file to a ISO file General Discussion
Convert csv to xls with batch file General Discussion
Convert a document file to mp4 General Discussion
Solved How to convert a bat file General Discussion
Solved file convert .ts to another Music, Pictures & Video
How convert exe to zip file? Software
convert nearly any file to pdf :D Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33