Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Blu ray won't play!


27 Oct 2009   #1

Vista/7
 
 
Blu ray won't play!

I installed Windows 7 on my desktop, and now I can't play bluray movies using PowerDVD 9.

I played them easily when I had Vista installed, but now I get "video driver not compatible". I have updated my video card's drivers, but it still won't work.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and I have an NVIDIA graphics card with HD capabilities. On Vista the blurays played perfectly with out problem. I have the exact same hardware makeup.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Oct 2009   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Can you play them in Windows Media Player?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #3

Vista/7
 
 

I haven't tried using Windows Media Player for my blu-rays. It doesn't work for media center, and I know that the WMP in Vista didn't play them... I'll try it though.

But Cyberlink says that it's compatible with Windows 7 too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Oct 2009   #4

7600.20510 x86
 
 

You think you updated your video driver but it didn't actually update. In device manager, does your display adapter show as standard vga?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #5

Windows 7
 
 
Blu-ray won't play in Windows 7

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by staple salad View Post
I installed Windows 7 on my desktop, and now I can't play bluray movies using PowerDVD 9.

I played them easily when I had Vista installed, but now I get "video driver not compatible". I have updated my video card's drivers, but it still won't work.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and I have an NVIDIA graphics card with HD capabilities. On Vista the blurays played perfectly with out problem. I have the exact same hardware makeup.
Having a very similar problem with Sony VAIO VGX-TP20E. Upgraded to Windows 7 (32-bit), now the bundled WinDVD app won't play Blu-ray discs. Same goes for newer WinDVD 10 and Cyberlink PowerDVD 9. I either get an error message or nothing happens.

HELP!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #6

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by justrick View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by staple salad View Post
I installed Windows 7 on my desktop, and now I can't play bluray movies using PowerDVD 9.

I played them easily when I had Vista installed, but now I get "video driver not compatible". I have updated my video card's drivers, but it still won't work.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and I have an NVIDIA graphics card with HD capabilities. On Vista the blurays played perfectly with out problem. I have the exact same hardware makeup.
Having a very similar problem with Sony VAIO VGX-TP20E. Upgraded to Windows 7 (32-bit), now the bundled WinDVD app won't play Blu-ray discs. Same goes for newer WinDVD 10 and Cyberlink PowerDVD 9. I either get an error message or nothing happens.

HELP!!!
Hi.

Install the latest driver from NVIDIA's website for the video card.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 7
 
 

Had a same problem in another thread.
Since my costumer needed its laptop, i had to go-back to Vista 32 Ultimate, then install PowerDVD 9.
Worked like a cham, no problems.

But i found no solution for Windows 7.
It sounds strange to me that MS, Cyberlink and other companies are having such those problems with Blu-ray playng on the newest M$ OS, they should be supporting it.
Or it may be a kind of lock, like...if no online activation somehow, you can't play blu-ray.

I don't have a blu-ray drive on my computer and i don't plan to have one that soon (I'm very satisfied on downloading 720p movies/BR-Rip). But most newer laptops will have it, since its nice to offer the costumer a blu-ray drive.

Oh, btw: I couldn't install the latest driver "normally". Had to download a modded inf in order to install the driver. Also, i found around the web (forgot where) a way to install desktop drivers on laptops. Dunno if it would solve the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #8

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pablobhz View Post
Had a same problem in another thread.
Since my costumer needed its laptop, i had to go-back to Vista 32 Ultimate, then install PowerDVD 9.
Worked like a cham, no problems.

But i found no solution for Windows 7.
It sounds strange to me that MS, Cyberlink and other companies are having such those problems with Blu-ray playng on the newest M$ OS, they should be supporting it.
Or it may be a kind of lock, like...if no online activation somehow, you can't play blu-ray.

I don't have a blu-ray drive on my computer and i don't plan to have one that soon (I'm very satisfied on downloading 720p movies/BR-Rip). But most newer laptops will have it, since its nice to offer the costumer a blu-ray drive.

Oh, btw: I couldn't install the latest driver "normally". Had to download a modded inf in order to install the driver. Also, i found around the web (forgot where) a way to install desktop drivers on laptops. Dunno if it would solve the problem.
Cyberlink PowerDVD has always worked perfect for me here on 7 since last year.

Here's the modded way for laptop drivers...

NVIDIA Driver - Convert from Desktop to Mobile (Laptop)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #9

windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
 
 

PowerDVD Ultra 9 is working fine for me.

Since installing my liteon bluray drive the other night and upgrading the powerDVD yesterday, tonite was my first go at it. I popped in the new Star Trek.

I remember asking sometime ago whether it would be wise to upgrade my HD2600XT because I heard it wouldn't support ALL the features of Windows 7 under bluray.

The only thing that happened was PowerDVD stopped for a second while Windows 7 switched to basic and a brief message came up that said my card would not support aero while playing bluray--exactly what I read. No huge deal--who needs aero when watching a movie---and as soon as I ejected the disc--Windows 7 reverted back to full featured without me having to do a thing. That's what I like--automatic pilot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2009   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
I have the same issue

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by justrick View Post

Having a very similar problem with Sony VAIO VGX-TP20E. Upgraded to Windows 7 (32-bit), now the bundled WinDVD app won't play Blu-ray discs. Same goes for newer WinDVD 10 and Cyberlink PowerDVD 9. I either get an error message or nothing happens.

HELP!!!
Did you find a solution?
I don't get an error message. Nothing happens.

The computer is hooked up to a Sony Bravia via HDMI. What are some things I should look for to trouble shoot?

Sony is absolutely no help because the computer is running Windows 7 and not Vista. The computer runs 7 great.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Blu ray won't play!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Blu ray won't play!
Thread Forum
some dvd's can't play on sony dvd player but they play on onida player Music, Pictures & Video
WMP can't play avi Music, Pictures & Video
"Play Selection" doesn't play all highlighted Music, Pictures & Video
Would you like to play some TF2? Gaming
Combat Arms wont play on 7077, did play on 7068 Gaming

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33