Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: my metadata disappearing when I copy files


04 Apr 2014   #1
TomE42

Windows 7
 
 
my metadata disappearing when I copy files

Hello all.

I do not wish to modify any existing metadata at the moment. The problem I am having is with my metadata disappearing when I copy files.

I have a video collection of family videos (approx. 225GB, 750 or so files in .avi, .mkv and .divx formats)

What I would like to do, and as I have done many times previously with other collections, is to copy this collection onto a 256GB flash drive and mail it to my nephew who makes nice movie montages for the rest of my family for reunions. and such.

Now...
1. The original files are on my C:\ drive in a folder called 'family movies'.
2. I select the folder, right-click and choose Copy.
3. I navigate to my list of drives, select the flash drive, right-click on it and choose Paste. 13 hours later... Done.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:
1. I open the folder 'family movies' on the flash drive. All files are there. All file sizes appear same as originals.
2. I double click one of the video files and I get the following message:
"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file."
3. The same for most 99% of the rest of the video files that were copied.
4. I compared the Properties of the original video files on the c:\ drive to those that were copied onto the flash drive and I find that LARGE PORTIONS of the metadata is MISSING on the copied files.

Original data in Properties-Details: Data in Copied Properties-Details:
Description data missing Description data missing
Video data present Video data missing
Audio data present Audio data missing
File data present File data present

ONLY THE FILE METADATA IS PRESENT IN THE COPIED FILES. THE AUDIO ANS VIDEO METADATA IS MISSING! Any video player I use to try to play the copied files will not work without thie missing data.

1. Why is the data not being copied?
2. Is there some way to copy using a DOS command with extrs parameters to ensure metadata is copied as well as the files?

Please help and Thank You in advance. -Tom E.

P.S. C:\ drive is NTFS Flash drive is exFAT. And yes I tried with flash formatted to NTFS with same result.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2014   #2
TomE42

Windows 7
 
 

If anyone has a suggestion as to how I can modify this thread in order to get ANY help at all it would be appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2014   #3
b0bl335wa993r

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TomE42 View Post
If anyone has a suggestion as to how I can modify this thread in order to get ANY help at all it would be appreciated.
Did you try copying a single file? Maybe try something like TeraCopy or BurstCopy to verify the checksum of the file transferred.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2014   #4
TomE42

Windows 7
 
 

Hello bobl335wa9931r. Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying TeraCopy now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

In response to your inquiry re: 'Have I copied one at a time...' Yes, I have and in smaller groups at a time and the copying of smaller groups or filesizes seemed to make a difference. A larger number of the files copied were then readable but not all.And the readable file were not consistent. (Copy files ...see what's readable...delete files...copy same files again... different files readable.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2014   #5
b0bl335wa993r

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TomE42 View Post
Hello bobl335wa9931r. Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying TeraCopy now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

In response to your inquiry re: 'Have I copied one at a time...' Yes, I have and in smaller groups at a time and the copying of smaller groups or filesizes seemed to make a difference. A larger number of the files copied were then readable but not all.And the readable file were not consistent. (Copy files ...see what's readable...delete files...copy same files again... different files readable.)
You're welcome. So generally it's due to one/some of the files being corrupt. I suppose you may have had problems shutting down after the copy paste action. AFAIK it's due to corrupt files/virus infected files being transferred. Let's see if TeraCopy handles that fine because it queues up the files to be transferred and it has an option to verify the checksums of the files being transferred. If you check that option, it'll verify the copied content against original one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2014   #6
TomE42

Windows 7
 
 

Hello again bobl335wa9931r.

I tried Teracopy and BurstCopy. They both did not solve the issue in that after files were copied some could NOT be read/played. CRC Errors abounded. I became suspect of the drive itself so I ordered a new HDD to use in place of the flash drive I was attempting to use.

The flash drive checked out okay in that it formatted fine to NTFS and to exFAT. CHKDSK listed not bad sectors or issues. A Low Level Format worked fine and still results were the same.. Unable to play some of the copied video files. Seemingly random as to which would work and which would not.

KEEP IN MINE that the original files all work fine and scan as virus free.

I installed new HDD (a LaCie Rugged 1TB external HDD) and proceeded to copy ALL of my files to it that I had unsuccessfully attempted to onto the flash drive.

All files copied w/out problem.
All files played w/out problem.
I'm going to hang the flash drive on a target at the range and take out some frustrations.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. -Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2014   #7
b0bl335wa993r

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Glad your problem is solved
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2014   #8
Lixy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TomE42 View Post
Hello again bobl335wa9931r.

I tried Teracopy and BurstCopy. They both did not solve the issue in that after files were copied some could NOT be read/played. CRC Errors abounded. I became suspect of the drive itself so I ordered a new HDD to use in place of the flash drive I was attempting to use.

The flash drive checked out okay in that it formatted fine to NTFS and to exFAT. CHKDSK listed not bad sectors or issues. A Low Level Format worked fine and still results were the same.. Unable to play some of the copied video files. Seemingly random as to which would work and which would not.

KEEP IN MINE that the original files all work fine and scan as virus free.

I installed new HDD (a LaCie Rugged 1TB external HDD) and proceeded to copy ALL of my files to it that I had unsuccessfully attempted to onto the flash drive.

All files copied w/out problem.
All files played w/out problem.
I'm going to hang the flash drive on a target at the range and take out some frustrations.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. -Tom
You really did not solve the problem since the problem persists with bulk copying to a large flash drive. I have the exact same issue. I am glad that I am not doing something wrong. What I also found is that after copying just a single mp4 video to the flash drive, the video details are there and the movie can be played with VLC player. Then I try to play the same file with Windows media player, I get complaints that it can't play the file. Right after that the VIDEO DETAILS disappear and VLC or any other player cannot play the MP4 video. I can copy to an external USB HD and every thing plays with Media player and VLC and VIDEO DATA remain intact. I have tried exFAT, NTFS, FAT32, same results and am exhausted. I want to have the large USB cos I travel a lot and love the idea of 200 movies on a flash drive on my key chain. I already have several portable HDs, & on blu ray disks, but they can't fit on my key chain.

If I could just do bulk copy to the flash drive I will make VLC default player on my laptop PROVIDED the meta data remain intact. Sheesh it took 11 (eleven hrs) last time I tried.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2014   #9
TomE42

Windows 7
 
 

Lixy, hello.

You are absolutely correct in that I did not actually solve the issue with copying large amounts of video data to a flash drive w/out the problem of metadata disappearing.

What I did was find an alternative to use before I put a hammer through my monitor and flash drive. The lack of response from Windows Seven Forum was frustrating and deafening. The only assistance came from bobl335wa9931r and yet those suggestions did not offer solutions. Thanks again anyway bobl335wa9931r, you were great for at least trying to help.

With regards to preferring to use a flash drive attached to a keychain... I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY! I would love, or at least like very much, to be able to solve this issue with the missing metadata. But I found no answers and no assistance from Windows Seven Forum and therefore had to find a solution which would make it possible to complete my task. Perhaps not the most preferred method but more preferred than the task not being completed. ('critical path' argument)

If you find a solution I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. Windows Seven Forum has provided fantastic insights and solutions to many issues for myself, my coworkers and my friends. Just not this time.

I hope you have better luck here than I did this time. I will keep trying but at the moment I am not sure where to look.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2014   #10
Lixy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks TomE42

Right after making that post I downloaded unstopable copier to try. It was done this morning by the time I checked. Unfortunately none of the 245 MP4 video files had any metadata. As a result no media player can do a thing. VLC complains that it can not handle 'undf' and there is no fix. 'undf' 'undf' 'undf' 'undf' ...... ??

Scratching bald head here. Well I throw in the towel. The Forum helps only if someone who has a solution sees the thread and has time and motivation to help.

Back to myPassport external USB HD. At least I can put it in the laptop bag.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 my metadata disappearing when I copy files




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: my metadata disappearing when I copy files
Thread Forum
Disappearing jpg files General Discussion
Disappearing Files Hardware & Devices
Disappearing files Performance & Maintenance
disappearing files? System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App