Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: unable to start media player

04 Aug 2015   #1
bhar

Windows 7 32 Bit
 
 
unable to start media player

i am unable to start media player get teh attached error .couple of runs of sfc found corrpt files but couldnt repair .please help. screenshot and cbs.log file attached.

removed media playe from programs and features . .and rebooted and installed and rebooted. checked no luck .same error.




Attached Images
unable to start media player-wmp.dll-corrupt.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Aug 2015   #2
Hacb

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

that means that media player is corrupt, you shoolud be able to download a new media player through microsoft.com.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2015   #3
DarKnight

Win7 Ultimate/X84
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bhar View Post
i am unable to start media player get teh attached error .couple of runs of sfc found corrpt files but couldnt repair .please help. screenshot and cbs.log file attached.

removed media playe from programs and features . .and rebooted and installed and rebooted. checked no luck .same error.
Hey,I think the version of wmp.dll can't go with Windows Media Player. You'll need to upgrade the wmp.dll
version to make it compatible with Windows.
To upgrade the version,open CMD and type UNREGMP2.EXE /UPDATEWMPVERSION,then press enter
and wait untill it gets upgraded.

If the solution doesn't work for you,then you gotta reset&reinstall Media Player but ,not from Programs and Features.Just go to "Turn windows features on or off" and uncheck the mark next to "Media" then reboot your computer and see what happens.Good luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Aug 2015   #4
bhar

Windows 7 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarKnight View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bhar View Post
i am unable to start media player get teh attached error .couple of runs of sfc found corrpt files but couldnt repair .please help. screenshot and cbs.log file attached.

removed media playe from programs and features . .and rebooted and installed and rebooted. checked no luck .same error.
Hey,I think the version of wmp.dll can't go with Windows Media Player. You'll need to upgrade the wmp.dll
version to make it compatible with Windows.
To upgrade the version,open CMD and type UNREGMP2.EXE /UPDATEWMPVERSION,then press enter
and wait untill it gets upgraded.

If the solution doesn't work for you,then you gotta reset&reinstall Media Player but ,not from Programs and Features.Just go to "Turn windows features on or off" and uncheck the mark next to "Media" then reboot your computer and see what happens.Good luck!
I had already tried uninstalling from turn windows features on and off as that is the only option for doing so. It's not available in programs and features menu. Sorry of my previous message was not that much clear.

This system is already using latest patches and sp1.

I will try the other option that you suggested.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2015   #5
DarKnight

Win7 Ultimate/X84
 
 

Quote:
I had already tried uninstalling from turn windows features on and off as that is the only option for doing so. It's not available in programs and features menu. Sorry of my previous message was not that much clear.

This system is already using latest patches and sp1.

I will try the other option that you suggested.
Ok,try that ,hope you'll solve the problem,I had been suffering from the same problem for a long time
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2015   #6
bhar

Windows 7 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarKnight View Post
Quote:
I had already tried uninstalling from turn windows features on and off as that is the only option for doing so. It's not available in programs and features menu. Sorry of my previous message was not that much clear.

This system is already using latest patches and sp1.

I will try the other option that you suggested.
Ok,try that ,hope you'll solve the problem,I had been suffering from the same problem for a long time
No luck with that update commands
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2015   #7
DarKnight

Win7 Ultimate/X84
 
 

Quote:
No luck with that update commands
That's too bad but there are some solutions that can be useful for your problem.But before that,let me ask, when you first came across the problem? You just turn the computer on and see that media player had stopped working? Or the problem came with a new OS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2015   #8
bhar

Windows 7 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bhar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarKnight View Post
Quote:
I had already tried uninstalling from turn windows features on and off as that is the only option for doing so. It's not available in programs and features menu. Sorry of my previous message was not that much clear.

This system is already using latest patches and sp1.

I will try the other option that you suggested.
Ok,try that ,hope you'll solve the problem,I had been suffering from the same problem for a long time
No luck with that update commands
Also tried the guide at ms site which says to take ownership and then give full rights to admin. I replaced wmp. Dll from another system.

Sfc still says this file is corrupt. Sfc on that system returned no problem found.

Both source and destination systems are windows 7 Enterprises 64 bit with sp1 and all latest updates installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2015   #9
DarKnight

Win7 Ultimate/X84
 
 

Quote:
Also tried the guide at ms site which says to take ownership and then give full rights to admin. I replaced wmp. Dll from another system.

Sfc still says this file is corrupt. Sfc on that system returned no problem found.

Both source and destination systems are windows 7 Enterprises 64 bit with sp1 and all latest updates installed.
Did not you try System Restore? There are serious chances of getting access to Media Player with system restore
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2015   #10
bhar

Windows 7 32 Bit
 
 

system restore is disabled from day one.
this system is running from past few months .. just felt the need to use media player . and got the problem .dont konw if it wrked earlier..


i followed below guide.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

copied file form another version of same os (version of wmp.dll is also same) and still no luck.though this time erro rwas media player is not properly installed and it offered me to download media player and install it form ms site . there at that site it had no setup files..

so i removed form turn windows features on and off and rebooted ..then did sfc and it found no problems.
then enabeld media player and same wmp err and sfc also found wmp.dll file corrupt but couldnt repair.

Quote:
2015-08-05 21:49:00, Info CSI 00000359 [SR] Repairing 1 components
2015-08-05 21:49:00, Info CSI 0000035a [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2015-08-05 21:49:00, Info CSI 0000035c [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:14{7}]"wmp.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-MediaPlayer-Core, Version = 6.1.7601.18840, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_IA32_ON_WIN64 (10), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-08-05 21:49:01, Info CSI 0000035e [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:14{7}]"wmp.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-MediaPlayer-Core, Version = 6.1.7601.18840, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_IA32_ON_WIN64 (10), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-08-05 21:49:01, Info CSI 0000035f [SR] This component was referenced by [l:154{77}]"Package_1_for_KB3033890~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.3033890-2_neutral_GDR"
2015-08-05 21:49:01, Info CSI 00000362 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:48{24},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64"\[l:14{7}]"wmp.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted
2015-08-05 21:49:01, Info CSI 00000364 [SR] Repair complete
2015-08-05 21:49:01, Info CSI 00000365 [SR] Committing transaction
2015-08-05 21:49:01, Info CSI 00000369 [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction have been successfully repaired
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 unable to start media player




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Media Player won't start
This problem is really annoying, my WMP simply won't start, I just closed the WMP and when I tried to open it back, it just didn't. Already uninstalled and installed it back, nothing happened, the process does'nt start, I tried to run every .exe file at the WMP folder, didn't opened either,...
Media Center
Unable to edit music files in Media Player transfered from old laptop
Hi All I had an ageing Vista laptop that developed a hard drive problem so I now have this great new 7 one. I am fortunate in that I work for a local computer company so I was able to salvage music etc. My issue is that I am unable to edit anything that was recovered from my old laptop in...
Music, Pictures & Video
Media Player 12.0.7601.17514 - Unable to create and save playlists
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium & Windows Media Player 12.0.7601.17514 (Fully Updated). Every time I try to make & save a playlist, it never works - I get the message: "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while creating or saving the playlist." After following the link for trouble...
Software
Unable to open Windows Media Player
Unable to open windows media player. When attempting to open windows media player 12 from the programs menu, I receive the following error message: "C:\\Windows\System32\wmploc.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the...
General Discussion
Unable to see video on Windows Media Player
When trying to play videos recorded from my digital camera, all I get is sound. No video shows. I had no problems on my previous operating system. Can anyone provide me with some insight?
Music, Pictures & Video
Unable to see video on Media Player
When trying to play videos recorded from my digital camera, all I get is sound. No video shows. I had no problems on my previous operating system. Can anyone provide me with some insight?
Media Center


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App