Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Photo Viewer is insanely SLOW!

27 Dec 2009   #1
bd74

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 
Windows Photo Viewer is insanely SLOW!

I'm running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.
Pictures take several seconds to load on Windows Photo Viewer, especially when I'm switching from one picture to another. And it's not my computer that's causing it be slow, because I've got 2GB of RAM. When I had Windows XP, I never had that problem with the Windows picture viewer.

What should I do? Is there some other picture-viewing program that I can use that will work faster?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Dec 2009   #2
armyslowrdr

windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
 
 

try Irfanview---it's a free download and most excellent.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by S35 View Post
I'm running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.
Pictures take several seconds to load on Windows Photo Viewer, especially when I'm switching from one picture to another. And it's not my computer that's causing it be slow, because I've got 2GB of RAM. When I had Windows XP, I never had that problem with the Windows picture viewer.

What should I do? Is there some other picture-viewing program that I can use that will work faster?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2009   #3
hybridfan

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
 
 

I agree Irfanview is my viewer of choice, it also has a most excellent slideshow feature. Do you add comments at all to your images, maybe you add a lot of exif detail to your images, just a theory on why images are loading slow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Aug 2010   #4
Spankmaster

Windows 7
 
 

Quote:
Windows Photo Viewer is insanely SLOW!
SOLUTION - At some stage you probably color calibrated your display using the tool in Windows 7. As soon as you remove this calibration profile speed will return to normal.

Right Click Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> Color Management -> Color Management -> Advanced -> Change System Defaults

Then click on the default profile (the one you are using now) and click Remove. The profile should have some string in it like 'calibrated' ( I forget, I just deleted mine ). Make sure the new default profile does not have the 'calibrated' string in it. When you click Remove you will probably note some change in the screen colors as another profile becomes the default.

Now suddenly the image viewer will be lightning fast.
Go figure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2010   #5
solidusnake

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Spankmaster View Post
Quote:
Windows Photo Viewer is insanely SLOW!
SOLUTION - At some stage you probably color calibrated your display using the tool in Windows 7. As soon as you remove this calibration profile speed will return to normal.

Right Click Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> Color Management -> Color Management -> Advanced -> Change System Defaults

Then click on the default profile (the one you are using now) and click Remove. The profile should have some string in it like 'calibrated' ( I forget, I just deleted mine ). Make sure the new default profile does not have the 'calibrated' string in it. When you click Remove you will probably note some change in the screen colors as another profile becomes the default.

Now suddenly the image viewer will be lightning fast.
Go figure.
thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2010   #6
skoobydoo

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thank you Spankmaster, this fixed my issue with windows photo viewer being verrrry slow too. I've had win7 since it first came out and never had this problem before, the only difference was, as you stated, i used the calibration tool last week.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2011   #7
1nfected

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Spankmaster View Post
SOLUTION - At some stage you probably color calibrated your display using the tool in Windows 7. As soon as you remove this calibration profile speed will return to normal.

Right Click Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> Color Management -> Color Management -> Advanced -> Change System Defaults

Then click on the default profile (the one you are using now) and click Remove. The profile should have some string in it like 'calibrated' ( I forget, I just deleted mine ). Make sure the new default profile does not have the 'calibrated' string in it. When you click Remove you will probably note some change in the screen colors as another profile becomes the default.

Now suddenly the image viewer will be lightning fast.
Go figure.
Hey, that did it! Thanks a lot Spankmaster
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2011   #8
katrinamm

Windows 7 Home
 
 

Thanks Spankmaster, I have a tendency to push all the buttons on my laptop when I have a problem and I would never have thought to link the speed of my Windows Photo Viewer to my fiddling with the screen colour settings. Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #9
mazenssd

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks Spankmaster
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2012   #10
NecroticisM666

Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64 Bit Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hybridfan View Post
I agree Irfanview is my viewer of choice, it also has a most excellent slideshow feature. Do you add comments at all to your images, maybe you add a lot of exif detail to your images, just a theory on why images are loading slow.
I agree to this..you can also try Picasa, which has more feature to manage your pictures..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Photo Viewer is insanely SLOW!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Photo Viewer very slow
It's known that the Photo viewer in explorer of W7 is extremely slow with large files. It takes forever since it time and again crawls trough the files. The Firestone Viewer for instance is much faster. However, if you like to upload to Photobucket, you are directed to that silly Windows...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows Live Photo Gallery vs Windows Photo Viewer
Does it matter if I set Windows Live Photo Gallery as the Current Default, instead of Windows Photo Viewer ? example : ico Related question : Why is Windows Live Photo Gallery not in the Default Programs list under Set Your Default Programs window ? I Know I can use the " Associate a file...
General Discussion
Windows Photo Viewer is sometimes slow to load (but not always)
The experiment I did: 1. Copy a moderately sized (400-500kb) jpg image on desktop (from some other location i.e. folder/web etc.). 2. Double Click the file (it will load pretty fast in Win Photo Viewer). 3. Now close Windows Photo Viewer, double click the file again (This time, it will...
Performance & Maintenance
Photo Viewer SLOW for anyone else?
As the title says. Any one else experience Windows Photo Viewer being really slow to Render and browse through pictures? I've had this issue for a while, and just recently figured out the cause and thought I'd share in case it helps others. Windows Photo Viewer was really slow, even to...
Software
Installing is insanely slow
Ok, ive been having this problem for a while, nothing wrong with win 7 but say i download a trial for say Adobe After Effects. when i click to open up the installer it will take anywhere between 5 and 25 minutes to JUST OPEN THE INSTALLER omg this is so annoying. AE itself (the entire program)...
General Discussion
7-Zip and Windows 7 photo viewer
I had encrypted/zipped some photos using 7-zip when I had XP. I moved to Windows 7 RTM yesterday. When I moved my files over and tried to open my photos with 7 zip file manager, the Windows 7 photo viewer opened with a message that said the photos couldn't be open because they either are missing...
Music, Pictures & Video


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App