Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Can I watch Blue-Ray files on a PC, what do I need?

06 May 2010   #1

Window 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 
Can I watch Blue-Ray files on a PC, what do I need?

Hi, I have a movie but not on n cd it is on my PC what do I need to watch it like a Blue-Ray movie, or will VLC or The KMP player work? Will it be blue-Ray or just a normal movie?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 May 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Core7 View Post
Hi, I have a movie but not on n cd it is on my PC what do I need to watch it like a Blue-Ray movie, or will VLC or The KMP player work? Will it be blue-Ray or just a normal movie?
Hi man. Let's go:

# VLC & KMPlayer: don't support videos on Blu-ray format. It seems that only paid programs play blu-ray at the moment;

# Acer Monitor: does it supports 1920x1080 resolution?! you need one that supports such resolution. Take a look at this one - I bought it
W2486L Monitors Computer+Products

# HDMI cable;

# Videos / movies in full hd...

I hope I was able to help you!

"PLEASE REP ANYONE WHO HELPS YOU"

My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Just a HD file on your Hard Drive?
If so, all you need may be the proper splitters if it is in MKV format. \
MP4 should be supported nativly, but sometimes theres issues if AC3 within a MP4 container.

None-the-less:

Shark007 codec pack would be my recomendation, as it does not make associations or alter what Windows 7 has going by default. But will allow playback of most anything in WMP12. Not to mention Shark is a trusted member of our community.
Found here:
Shark007.net - Windows 7 Codecs - WMP12 Codecs

If its the actual Bluray Disc, you will need software such as PowerDVD for example (although there are others) and a HDCP compliant monitor/Video Card.

the quality of the video itself however will be dependant on a few factors, such as the codec used to encode, resolution,bit rate, and most importantly settings the encoder used.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 May 2010   #4

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

The way it seems to work is the way it used to work with DVDs years ago...

Though WMP can play DVDs by defualt now, it couldn;t in XP. You had to install a DVD player first, then the DVD player or WMP could play DVDs. To play blueray images, you need to have a blueray player. USusally you get one with your blu ray BDROM drive for free, then after install, the player (PowerDVD or whatever it comes with) then installs the codecs needed so that WMP can then play blueray content. At least that's the way it is on my laptop.

You may ba ble to play the disk contents saved to your HD as opposed to a disk in a BDRom drive though I have not tried that. You can do that with DVDs. But you will need a player installed that can actually play the content first, and if it's like the days when DVDRoms first came out, you will either have to pay for one or get one free with a BDRom drive :/ (Having paid for it in the cost of the drive).

[Edit] Wishmaster beat me to the post [/edit]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2010   #5

Window 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wallonn7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Core7 View Post
Hi, I have a movie but not on n cd it is on my PC what do I need to watch it like a Blue-Ray movie, or will VLC or The KMP player work? Will it be blue-Ray or just a normal movie?
Hi man. Let's go:

# VLC & KMPlayer: don't support videos on Blu-ray format. It seems that only paid programs play blu-ray at the moment;

# Acer Monitor: does it supports 1920x1080 resolution?! you need one that supports such resolution. Take a look at this one - I bought it
W2486L Monitors Computer+Products

# HDMI cable;

# Videos / movies in full hd...

I hope I was able to help you!

"PLEASE REP ANYONE WHO HELPS YOU"

my movie is only 700x680
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Core7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wallonn7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Core7 View Post
Hi, I have a movie but not on n cd it is on my PC what do I need to watch it like a Blue-Ray movie, or will VLC or The KMP player work? Will it be blue-Ray or just a normal movie?
Hi man. Let's go:

# VLC & KMPlayer: don't support videos on Blu-ray format. It seems that only paid programs play blu-ray at the moment;

# Acer Monitor: does it supports 1920x1080 resolution?! you need one that supports such resolution. Take a look at this one - I bought it
W2486L Monitors Computer+Products

# HDMI cable;

# Videos / movies in full hd...

I hope I was able to help you!

"PLEASE REP ANYONE WHO HELPS YOU"

my movie is only 700x680
So it was ripped.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2010   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Thats an oddball res.

native BluRay res is 1920x1080 (for 99.9% of all BluRay).

The min. HD resoulution however is 1280x720.

Properly enconded 720P can look almost identical to its 1080P source, however , dropping below this res. you are no longer in HD.

At 700x680 it should look as goos as DVD quality , maybe a touch better. Depending how it was encoded.


You need nothing more than perhaps some codecs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 May 2010   #8

Window 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Oky thank you guys, yah it was ripped
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I watch Blue-Ray files on a PC, what do I need?





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Can I watch Blue-Ray files on a PC, what do I need?
Thread Forum
Solved Blue Screen Dumping Files BSOD Help and Support
Solved Blue screen SF diagnostic tools-files atached BSOD Help and Support
Blue screen when viewing mp4 files in WMP? BSOD Help and Support
Solved my attachment files for blue screen BSOD Help and Support
Can't find the sound and subtitle settings for blue-ray files Media Center
Blue Screen. Can someone check my files? BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33