Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Converter to AVI?

12 May 2010   #1

Acer Aspire 5738Z Win 7 X64 bit Home Premium
 
 
Converter to AVI?

Hi, any ideas for a AVI converter, I just want to save my DVDs onto my laptop and save some space. I would also like the option of different language / subtitle settings.

Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 May 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1 (Build 6.1.7601)
 
 

I'm pretty sure that DivX converter dose that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #3

 

AVI is a container, there are more than one type of codec that uses a .AVI extension but are completely different from each other.

That being said, if oyu want goo quality and smaller filesizes, look at DivX (proprietary) or XviD (Free, OS). If you want really good quality and don't care about the file size, look at other formats (including Matroskva containers, aka .MKV) - I have nothing but pure success viewing Blu-Ray rips that were put in an .MKV container, complete with Subtitles for foreign films / anime.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 May 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

A good free program that I reviewed at MintyWhite was called Daniusoft Video Converter Free.

You can get it here and try it out: Video Converter Free, Free WMV MPEG MP4 MOV AVI Video Converter
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2010   #5

 

I somehow missed part of my post in making this post - thanks for the reply, DNG, now I see it is missing.

A good one that I use is handbrake - HandBrake
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2010   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

If encoding your dvds to a file, I would suggest the x264 codec.

Its far more effecient, and has a better quality at lower bitrates than something like Xvid.

I would also suggest using a MP4 container. You will also have the option of using AAC 5.1 Audio, or keep the original AC3.

But x264/AAC in a MP4 container will yield much better results, with reasonable file sizes. At least IMO.

MeGUI and Handbrake are probablly the best choices. Nero Encoder for AAC stereo and 5.1 is a good choice as well to go with them (which is free)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2010   #7

 

As a matter of fact, at least one of the .MKVs I have is that exact combination - not sure *why* but it is lol...

h.264/AAC3 IIRC....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2010   #8
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
If encoding your dvds to a file, I would suggest the x264 codec.

Its far more effecient, and has a better quality at lower bitrates than something like Xvid.

I would also suggest using a MP4 container. You will also have the option of using AAC 5.1 Audio, or keep the original AC3.

But x264/AAC in a MP4 container will yield much better results, with reasonable file sizes. At least IMO.

MeGUI and Handbrake are probablly the best choices. Nero Encoder for AAC stereo and 5.1 is a good choice as well to go with them (which is free)
That is exactly the settings I use while using HandBrake . It provides the outcome as good as the original DVD with a smaller filesize

In fact, I have used almost all DVD to AVI/DivX/XviD tools , but I love HandBrake
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2010   #9

Acer Aspire 5738Z Win 7 X64 bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
If encoding your dvds to a file, I would suggest the x264 codec.

Its far more effecient, and has a better quality at lower bitrates than something like Xvid.

I would also suggest using a MP4 container. You will also have the option of using AAC 5.1 Audio, or keep the original AC3.

But x264/AAC in a MP4 container will yield much better results, with reasonable file sizes. At least IMO.

MeGUI and Handbrake are probablly the best choices. Nero Encoder for AAC stereo and 5.1 is a good choice as well to go with them (which is free)
That is exactly the settings I use while using HandBrake . It provides the outcome as good as the original DVD with a smaller filesize

In fact, I have used almost all DVD to AVI/DivX/XviD tools , but I love HandBrake
So, MeGUI and Handbrake is all I need?
Do I>
RIP with MeGUI and convert with Handbrake?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2010   #10
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonesnewton View Post
So, MeGUI and Handbrake is all I need?
Do I>
RIP with MeGUI and convert with Handbrake?
Rip with handbrake using the settings prescribed by wishmaster, and no need to convert It will rip your DVD to AVI
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Converter to AVI?





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Converter to AVI?
Thread Forum
Converter for m4v to wmv Music, Pictures & Video
Solved What's the best converter for PDf to RTF? Software
Solved MP3 to WAV converter Software
Solved usb 2.0 to 3.0 converter? Hardware & Devices
Solved Converter Software
win vai dvd converter Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33