Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is internet sharing possible with this setup?

16 Aug 2010   #1
disbthai

Window 7
 
 
Is internet sharing possible with this setup?

I'm not sure how to ask this question and I hope you all can understand what i'm trying to say.

My office is located downstairs while my DSL/router is hooked up upstairs and I enabled connectivity wireless so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house. I recently added a desktop in my office but no wireless NIC card built in and this is where my question is. At this point I think I have two options maybe three.
1. is to buy a wireless nic card and install it or
2. run a cat 5 cable from upstairs all the way down to my office.
3. ?Internet sharing ?

I was wondering since my laptop is right next to my desktop and I noticed that my laptop have a lan port to connect with cat 5 cable. Can I just connect that to my desktop and enable internet sharing? That way my laptop can use wireless and my desktop can use internet if and only the cat 5 is plug in? What is the easiest way to tackle this?

Thanks,


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Aug 2010   #2
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

The cheapest solution is to buy a wireless nic. Match your nic to your router (a/b/g/n). Also, be sure to use good encryption (e.g., WPA2). Nothing wrong with running CAT, but you will need to drill (obviously). Internet sharing would be the least desirable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2010   #3
DirtRider

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

The easiest solution to this would be to purchase one of these F5D7050 Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter

Internet sharing would not be as easy as just plunging a LAN cable into the laptop and straight into the desktop. You would need a small hub between them like this Belkin : Network USB Hub Then you would need to configure your laptops permissions to allow the desktop to connect through it (this can be a bit tricky)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Aug 2010   #4
letsdoamazing

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
The easiest solution to this would be to purchase one of these F5D7050 Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter

Internet sharing would not be as easy as just plunging a LAN cable into the laptop and straight into the desktop. You would need a small hub between them like this Belkin : Network USB Hub Then you would need to configure your laptops permissions to allow the desktop to connect through it (this can be a bit tricky)
You should be a Belkin sales Rep!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #5
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by disbthai View Post
I'm not sure how to ask this question and I hope you all can understand what i'm trying to say.

My office is located downstairs while my DSL/router is hooked up upstairs and I enabled connectivity wireless so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house. I recently added a desktop in my office but no wireless NIC card built in and this is where my question is. At this point I think I have two options maybe three.
1. is to buy a wireless nic card and install it or
2. run a cat 5 cable from upstairs all the way down to my office.
3. ?Internet sharing ?

I was wondering since my laptop is right next to my desktop and I noticed that my laptop have a lan port to connect with cat 5 cable. Can I just connect that to my desktop and enable internet sharing? That way my laptop can use wireless and my desktop can use internet if and only the cat 5 is plug in? What is the easiest way to tackle this?

Thanks,
Since you already have a router there certainly is no need to purchase another one. The best solution is to run a cat5 or cat6 cable down to your office from your router, wired connections are always best which is why this is my first choice.

The second best option would be to purchase a wireless adaptor for your desktop and connect to your router wirelessly.

Internet sharing should not be an option if you already have a router.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2010   #6
DirtRider

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by letsdoamazing View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
The easiest solution to this would be to purchase one of these F5D7050 Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter

Internet sharing would not be as easy as just plunging a LAN cable into the laptop and straight into the desktop. You would need a small hub between them like this Belkin : Network USB Hub Then you would need to configure your laptops permissions to allow the desktop to connect through it (this can be a bit tricky)
You should be a Belkin sales Rep!
They have good stuff
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is internet sharing possible with this setup?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
O2 internet sharing
hi All, i have problem, when i buy new ipad, i have o2 modem huawei. this modem connected to my laptop with dial up - sim card mobile. after that, i have TP-LINK wifi router. what i want to do is, when i connect my o2 to internet on my laptop, i also want to my TP-LINK wifi connect to internet....
Network & Sharing
Internet Connection Sharing: No internet Access
I am trying to setup internet connection sharing between my laptop (Connected to WiFi) and my pc which has no wireless connection. I've spent a day or two troubleshooting problems such as 'LAN' doesn't have valid configuration and such, i found a solution and I've got the two connections to be able...
Network & Sharing
internet connection setup in Network and Sharing Centre corrupt!
hi all, I should state first of all i'm a newbie to computers so if you have any responses please write in layman terms. I connect to the web through a modem which is connected to a D-link router, this worked fine until about 2 weeks ago. I can connect to net but the set up in doing so has...
Network & Sharing
Internet sharing via Virtual Wifi miniport drops internet access
Hi All, I have established a Virtual Wifi Miniport and would like to share my laptops internet via the Miniport. Whenever I connect my android phone with this access point, it works perfectly for a few minutes and then all of a sudden there is no internet on the phone. The phone remains connected...
Network & Sharing
how to setup sharing over lan
i have2 systems at my home connected with an adsl router which provides internet to both. One has Xp and the other has 7. Since the router has dhcp enabled , my IP on thelan are 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 I am able to share folders between the two systems, the only worry i have is that does...
Network & Sharing
How to sharing internet
HI I have a dial up internet connection and I want to share it between two pc that one of them has win 7 and the other one has win xp.I want win 7 share network for win xp.For that I went to sharing tab in the properties of my connection and enabled three checkbox and set my local area IP address...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App