Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: how to join in same workgroup for windows 7 and XP


07 Sep 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
how to join in same workgroup for windows 7 and XP

Hello Geeks

I'm having problem with my home network connectioon.
My desktop is windows 7 and connected to router via network cable.
and my notebook is using Windows xp which is connected to router via wifi connection.
and i have one media player (POHD) connected to that router too.
i try to play my media from Windows 7 via POHD, it is working fine.
when i try to view files from POHD via windows 7, it is able to view them.
Also when i try to view windows 7 files from my XP. it is working fine.
meaning, from my network, i can view any files from my windows 7 shared folders.

Here is the problem. when i try to view file from windows XP. via windows 7 or My POHD, i couldn't access.
i can view the XP pc name from windows 7 (workgroup) as well as POHD.
but can't access to XP from both 7&POHD.
so Please someone can help me out with some guide. how to share files between windows xp and 7.. in same network.

any help will be much appreciated.
thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Sep 2010   #2

Windows 7
 
 

Go to advanced sharing settings via Network and Sharing Center. There, make sure that you have selected home network and under the home network ensure that the file and printer sharing is on and password protected sharing is off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2010   #3

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ydoubleun View Post
Hello Geeks

I'm having problem with my home network connectioon.
My desktop is windows 7 and connected to router via network cable.
and my notebook is using Windows xp which is connected to router via wifi connection.
and i have one media player (POHD) connected to that router too.
i try to play my media from Windows 7 via POHD, it is working fine.
when i try to view files from POHD via windows 7, it is able to view them.
Also when i try to view windows 7 files from my XP. it is working fine.
meaning, from my network, i can view any files from my windows 7 shared folders.

Here is the problem. when i try to view file from windows XP. via windows 7 or My POHD, i couldn't access.
i can view the XP pc name from windows 7 (workgroup) as well as POHD.
but can't access to XP from both 7&POHD.
so Please someone can help me out with some guide. how to share files between windows xp and 7.. in same network.

any help will be much appreciated.
thanks in advance.

Are you using workgroup as it says above or homegroup?


Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Sep 2010   #4

Windows 7
 
 

Quote:
Are you using workgroup as it says above or homegroup?


Ken
Hi Ken, thanks for reply.

i m using workgrop. and my POHD can see all the files from windows 7.
and my XP can view them too.

thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2010   #5

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 x3 + Windows 10 Preview, Ubuntu
 
 

Workgroup sharing with XP / win 7 requires that you follow the same procedure as was the case for XP / XP sharing, except that on the XP machine you have to share using the advanced sharing option, (XP simple sharing is not supported on Windows 7), and the permissions for the shared content to be set to allow the Windows 7 username, (on the XP box), access as required
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2010   #6

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Workgroup sharing with XP / win 7 requires that you follow the same procedure as was the case for XP / XP sharing, except that on the XP machine you have to share using the advanced sharing option, (XP simple sharing is not supported on Windows 7), and the permissions for the shared content to be set to allow the Windows 7 username, (on the XP box), access as required
Thanks Barman!
i will do as you suggest (now i'm at work and will do when i got home)
And how about for my media player (POHD) to access to WinXP shared folders?
any gudie ?
thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2010   #7

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 x3 + Windows 10 Preview, Ubuntu
 
 

Assuming you share using the advanced sharing and have the user present on the external device (or the credentials for the user on non windows systems) the sharing should work.

The default XP quick sharing is a holdover from the time of Windows 9.x when FAT format was the norm, with the almost universal use of NTFS these days, the security, built into NTFS, has to be taken into account.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2010   #8

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Assuming you share using the advanced sharing and have the user present on the external device (or the credentials for the user on non windows systems) the sharing should work.

The default XP quick sharing is a holdover from the time of Windows 9.x when FAT format was the norm, with the almost universal use of NTFS these days, the security, built into NTFS, has to be taken into account.
thanks again. Barman, will try and get back to you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 how to join in same workgroup for windows 7 and XP




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: how to join in same workgroup for windows 7 and XP
Thread Forum
Windows Cannot Join Homegroup on This Computer Network & Sharing
Join a Windows XP network group. Network & Sharing
Windows 7 unable to Join 2003 Domain, offline Join erro Network & Sharing
Windows 7 not seeing XP computer on WORKGROUP Network & Sharing
How to configure a Vista PC to join a W7 workgroup?? Network & Sharing
windows 7 dropping workgroup Network & Sharing
How do I join a samba domain with windows 7? Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33