Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Sharing a Folder with an XP machine.

25 May 2009   #1
symbiont

Windows 7
 
 
Sharing a Folder with an XP machine.

I'm not sure what's going on here, everything appears to be setup correctly.

I have gone through my Network and Sharing Center in Windows 7RC and turned everything on except Password Protected Sharing.

I have joined both Win7 and Xp machines into WORKGROUP.

I can access my Public folder and my shared printer from my Win7 machine on my XP machine.

I'm trying to share my Mp3 folder, thats on a secondary HDD in my Win7 machine. Path being "E:\Stuff\Mp3z". No matter what I change as far as permissions, adding HomeGroupuser$ to the Advanced Sharing dialog...everything I've tried, my XP machine can see the share, but I get the ".......is not accessable. You may not have permissions...." error in XP trying to open the shared folder.

It should work as is, anyone else know why it might not be?


And what's up with not having a folder icon with a Share symbol in Win7 so by looking in Explorer you can tell a folder is shared?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 May 2009   #2
Generator

XP Pro SP3 x86/Vista SP2 x64/Win7 x64 Triple-boot
 
 

Have you got same usernames and passwords on both PC's? My XP has to have my girlfriends account created on it so she can access my XP from her machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2009   #3
symbiont

Windows 7
 
 

Different usernames and passwords.

But I just solved it....

In the Windows 7 folder share, Folder Properties Sharing, under Choose People to Share with

You have to actually add "Everyone".....just having Homegroup there doesn't cut it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 May 2009   #4
Generator

XP Pro SP3 x86/Vista SP2 x64/Win7 x64 Triple-boot
 
 

Top banana... Glad you sorted it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2009   #5
Digger

XP/win7 x86 build 7127
 
 

you dont have to add "everyone" if you arent sharing via Homgroup, which you are not being that this is 7 to xp and vice versa. You just need to setup simple sharing, and double check that they are being indexed (good idea to do anyways).

In advanced sharing, choose "use user accounts and passwords to connect..." You need to share it with your account name atleast (on 7). Then when on XP it should then prompt you for credentials to the 7 pc, enter your user/pass there. If you share with "everyone" then EVERYONE shall get access to it, not just that 7 computer with that user/pass. Especially if you decided to turn off password protect, and not having a pass setup on the 7 machine's user account.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2009   #6
symbiont

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Digger View Post
you dont have to add "everyone" if you arent sharing via Homgroup, which you are not being that this is 7 to xp and vice versa. You just need to setup simple sharing, and double check that they are being indexed (good idea to do anyways).

In advanced sharing, choose "use user accounts and passwords to connect..." You need to share it with your account name atleast (on 7). Then when on XP it should then prompt you for credentials to the 7 pc, enter your user/pass there. If you share with "everyone" then EVERYONE shall get access to it, not just that 7 computer with that user/pass. Especially if you decided to turn off password protect, and not having a pass setup on the 7 machine's user account.
While I understand where your coming from and know this....this is my home machine and I'm giving my wife access from her XP machine. I'm hardly worried about security. There's no need to be so tedious about logging accounts in to simply listen to Mp3's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2009   #7
Digger

XP/win7 x86 build 7127
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by symbiont View Post
While I understand where your coming from and know this....this is my home machine and I'm giving my wife access from her XP machine. I'm hardly worried about security. There's no need to be so tedious about logging accounts in to simply listen to Mp3's.
understood. but once this is done the first time, your wife wont have the nag or need to put in the login afterwards by saving the credentials. "remember my login ... for this computer" i think says the tickbox, somthing to the affect. Depending on what nasty things that can be caught by browsing these days, every little security i make it have to jump thru atleast gives me the false feeling of being more secure than the next guy type feeling. Especially ones that propogate around on the network and look for holes. The 1st conficker put alot of scare into those usb mp3 collections. I just first advise security over user friendliness... hoping to somehow combine the two if any way possible of course. I'm working on the same type of thing, only i need 3 types of filters or access privs to different files. kids and such. So in my case, this is another reason why i use pass accounts, and to hopefully pin down who may have gotten any nasty "parasites". but i do understand where you are coming from. was just a reflex reaction to your situation at hand.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2009   #8
symbiont

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Digger View Post
understood. but once this is done the first time, your wife wont have the nag or need to put in the login afterwards by saving the credentials. "remember my login ... for this computer" i think says the tickbox, somthing to the affect. Depending on what nasty things that can be caught by browsing these days, every little security i make it have to jump thru atleast gives me the false feeling of being more secure than the next guy type feeling. Especially ones that propogate around on the network and look for holes. The 1st conficker put alot of scare into those usb mp3 collections. I just first advise security over user friendliness... hoping to somehow combine the two if any way possible of course. I'm working on the same type of thing, only i need 3 types of filters or access privs to different files. kids and such. So in my case, this is another reason why i use pass accounts, and to hopefully pin down who may have gotten any nasty "parasites". but i do understand where you are coming from. was just a reflex reaction to your situation at hand.
I appreciate your insight and thought process.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2011   #9
winkler

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

I'm having the same problem and I've read all the above and that doesn't fix it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2011   #10
mrdemon

Windows 7 Home Pre
 
 

Quote:
But I just solved it....

In the Windows 7 folder share, Folder Properties Sharing, under Choose People to Share with

You have to actually add "Everyone".....just having Homegroup there doesn't cut it.
Thanks pretty much does it. If you would like a step to step guide to doing this with pics let me know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Sharing a Folder with an XP machine.




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Sharing a folder for a particular user in a particular machine,
Sharing a folder for a particular user in a particular machine, 1. Suppose that I have a folder F1 in the computer P1 (attached) 2. Users of P1 are u1, u2, u3 3. Users of P2 are e1, e2, e3 4. Then how the folder F1 can be shared ONLY with the user e2 that...
Network & Sharing
Sharing Win 7 folders with XP machine
I just got a new Windows 7 machine. It is networked to my older Win XP machines and it's able to access the files on the XP machines, but I'm unable to access the Win 7 files from my XP machines. What am I doing wrong?
Network & Sharing
Sharing a printer from 32bit machine to 64bit machine without drivers.
G'day all! (first post here!! :P) Ok..so this is my situation: I have a server...and i have installed a printer to it - the Canon LBP 3200 - the server is a 32bit machine running win7 pro...anyways...this printer does not have ANY 64bit drivers (which my main machine runs win7 ulti x64) so...
Drivers
Sharing a connection with an old MS-DOS 6.22 machine
I have a Compaq Portable II running MS-DOS 6.22 (from a 20, count'em, 20 megabyte hard drive). For retrocomputing purposes, I'd like to run DosLynx, ssh/telnet and a (yet to be defined) IRC client on it. I can't connect it straight to my router (too far away, impractical to run a cable), so I want...
Network & Sharing
sharing W7 with an XP machine
I think I have this (almost) working. I want to share my main computer W7 D drive with a laptop that is older and can't upgrade which is XP. I have got the XP seeing the D drive on the main computer, but when I try to access it I get the following. "\\Familydesktop\d is not accessible. You...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App