I have several machines all running Windows 7 RC, and one WHS (aka Win2003). All of the machines worked together fine, except for one Windows 7 machine that had trouble accessing network resources. I set up a virtual XP machine on one of the other (working) Windows 7 machines for testing purposes -- sure enough, same issue connecting to it as connecting to WHS. I figured if it affected XP then it would affect tons of real-world users, so that's what I searched the web for as I tried solution after solution. As you can imagine, many hits pointed me to this forum, where I found many good ideas to try -- but even here there were many many threads left unresolved, including my poor machine.
- all connections TO the affected Windows 7 machine worked as expected
- the affected machine worked fine to & from all other Windows 7 machines
- could see the XP/2003 machines in Explorer
- could resolve XP/2003 host names
- could NOT enumerate (\\xpbox)
nor access XP/2003 resources (\\xpbox\share
). despite matching accounts, I'd always get a login dialog; and no matter what I typed there, I'd get "access denied"
- could NOT install the WHS connector software. similar error message indicating a permissions issue.
- could NOT join a homegroup. ditto. (I now believe this is unrelated -- starting to see this on other machines)
Things I tried without success:
- turned off all firewalls
- set all Windows 7 sharing settings to be identical to other machines that were working ok
- set all Windows 7 sharing settings to be as permissive as possible (and several combos in between)
- checked & rechecked that usernames/passwords matched all around
- checked that users were in the Administrators group on target computer
- checked NTFS permissions
- created new admin accounts on all machines with passwords that were impossible to mistype, then entering those credentials into the login dialog after the 1st failure
- restarted both machines
- connected from the "Network" root node instead of browsing
- connected via "net use" at the command line -- with and without explicit /user parameter
- checked that there was nothing cached in the Windows credential manager
- clean install of 7100: not 7057, not an upgrade of anything, no 3rd party networking or security software
- checked that all machines were in the same workgroup
- ensured that LLTD was installed (via XP SP3 in my case)
- switched network profile to Work (to disable any HomeGroup features that might be in play mistakenly)
- ensured all machines were on the same subnet
- removed router, set up static IPs on each machine
- kept DHCP, but tried browsing via IP
- set NetBT to force broadcast mode via registry
- disabled IPv6
- forced use of WHQL nForce Networking drivers
instead of the ones included with Windows 7
- swapped in a known-good Intel NIC
- turned on "include anonymous users in Everyone group" in Local Security Policy
- turned off blank password restrictions in the registry
- wipe/reinstall with 32-bit Windows 7 RC (instead of x64)
Near the point of frustration, I had taken to combing the Windows event logs for clues. At some point I noticed that log times were 1 day behind. After I adjusted the system time everything suddenly worked.
Modern versions of Windows use the system time during SMB authentication. (NTLMv2 - within the client response; Kerberos - all tickets) My guess is that Windows 7<->Windows 7 SMB is smart enough to fall back to NTLMv1 even if both machines claim they support NTLMv2. I probably could have gotten this working on XP/2003 by forcing one or the other into NTLMv1-only mode.
I'm not sure how I got in this state, since the machine was set to synchronize with the same time servers (time.microsoft.com) as everyone else. But hey, it worked. Hope this helps someone.
If not, try the other solutions in the list. I think I've managed to collect all of the troubleshooting ideas listed on this forum & others.