Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: RDC? Microsoft-speak to English translator needed


25 Sep 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 
RDC? Microsoft-speak to English translator needed

I haven't found anything easy to interpret about RDC. I was considering removing it. What affect, if any, will this have on online gaming, browsing and torrents?

Microsoft-speak located here:
About Remote Differential Compression (Windows)
Remote Differential Compression Overview

Somewhat easier to read yet still ambiguous info here:
Disabling Remote Differential Compression To Speed Up Network Performance | HowIFixedIt.Net

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Sep 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joe7dust View Post
I haven't found anything easy to interpret about RDC. I was considering removing it. What affect, if any, will this have on online gaming, browsing and torrents?

Microsoft-speak located here:
About Remote Differential Compression (Windows)
Remote Differential Compression Overview

Somewhat easier to read yet still ambiguous info here:
Disabling Remote Differential Compression To Speed Up Network Performance | HowIFixedIt.Net

While clueless I can suggest a source to check Blackviper.com has configurations ans what they are dependent on.

Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post

While clueless I can suggest a source to check Blackviper.com has configurations ans what they are dependent on.

Ken J
Thanks for trying but I already knew of blackviper and the only reference to RDC on their site is in passing and regarding another process.

DFS Replication - Process and Service wiki
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Sep 2010   #4

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Remote Differential Compression only works for starters if both machines involved in the transaction support it - otherwise, it's not used. In general this means only Windows Server 2003 R2 servers and Vista clients and newer OSes will even support it, and it's not enabled on Windows Server 2003 R2 or Windows Server 2008 servers by default (it is enabled by default on 2008 R2 and Windows 7 clients).

So, unless you're using a protocol that supports RDC, an application written to use RDC during file transfers, and are connecting to a server that has RDC enabled, you won't see any differences with the service disabled versus enabled on your Windows 7 client.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cluberti View Post
So, unless you're using a protocol that supports RDC, an application written to use RDC during file transfers, and are connecting to a server that has RDC enabled, you won't see any differences with the service disabled versus enabled on your Windows 7 client.
sounds like I can safely disable RDC then. I'm assuming web browsing, torrents, online and online gaming will not being using this protocol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2010   #6

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

That'd be correct - usually you see this sort of thing when using SMB, FSSHTTP, or WebDAV to Microsoft servers from Microsoft clients.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cluberti View Post
That'd be correct - usually you see this sort of thing when using SMB, FSSHTTP, or WebDAV to Microsoft servers from Microsoft clients.
thanks much! Coudln't edit title to add [SOLVED] did I miss something or is that for mods only?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2010   #8

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Why do you need to disable/remove it in the first place?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2010   #9

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joe7dust View Post
thanks much! Coudln't edit title to add [SOLVED] did I miss something or is that for mods only?
Just click the little red "report" icon to the upper-right of your first post, let a mod now the issue is resolved, and it'll get marked as such.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Why do you need to disable/remove it in the first place?
I remove any unnecessary software that finds its way onto my system, be it from MS or elsewhere.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 RDC? Microsoft-speak to English translator needed




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33