Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is it possible to have 2 profiles with different dns settings


29 Sep 2010   #1

Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit
 
 
Is it possible to have 2 profiles with different dns settings

Is it possible to have 2 profiles with different dns settings , thanks .

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Sep 2010   #2

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2010   #3

Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
I wanted to make a bat file so that each profile would use a different dns

Has anyone played with netsh ??

thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Oct 2010   #4

Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit
 
 

this in a bat file will work but I would like to add 2 dns servers


netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection"static XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX


anyone know how to add 2 dns servers ..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2010   #5

Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit
 
 

figured it out ..

netsh interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection"static XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX --- dns 1
netsh interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection"static XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX index-2 --- dns 2

works great - just make that into a bat file - with your dns info ..

to go back to your regular dns servers

netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" dhcp
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2010   #6

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Total View Post
figured it out ..

netsh interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection"static XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX --- dns 1
netsh interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection"static XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX index-2 --- dns 2

works great - just make that into a bat file - with your dns info ..

to go back to your regular dns servers

netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" dhcp
I am glad you figured it out.

I did not know you were looking for a script to do it. Typically when we get a post like this the OP is looking for a GUI solution.

netsh is a great utility.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #7

Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Total View Post
figured it out ..

netsh interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection"static XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX --- dns 1
netsh interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection"static XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX index-2 --- dns 2

works great - just make that into a bat file - with your dns info ..

to go back to your regular dns servers

netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" dhcp
I am glad you figured it out.

I did not know you were looking for a script to do it. Typically when we get a post like this the OP is looking for a GUI solution.

netsh is a great utility.

a snag that I ran into - On windows 7 - How can I run a bat file as a admin ? This works great on xp , vista but with win 7 - I need a elevated command prompt .

thanks people
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #8

Windows 8 Core X64
 
 

What about creating a link on the Desktop, then right click and select Properties? Click on the Advanced button then check Run as Administrator.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #9

Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
What about creating a link on the Desktop, then right click and select Properties? Click on the Advanced button then check Run as Administrator.

will try that , thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is it possible to have 2 profiles with different dns settings




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Is it possible to have 2 profiles with different dns settings
Thread Forum
GPU Tweak Profiles Not Set Graphic Cards
Roaming Profiles and Win 7 Network & Sharing
Solved Windows 7 Regional Settings and Office 2010 Language Settings Microsoft Office
User Profiles General Discussion
Multiple Printer Profiles; Deleting Unneeded Profiles Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 Profiles (Docs and Settings?) General Discussion
Display settings profiles? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33