Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Suddenly no Internet connection

30 Sep 2010   #1
LinusT

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 
Suddenly no Internet connection

Hi, Yesterday i was online as normal but today when i got home from school i had no connection at all.

Been searching for 3 hours and trying everything to get it to work but no success at all. The other computer in the house has connection and it works perfect on that computer.

Both of the computers are wired to a modem.
I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on the computer that it doesnt work. The same connection at my home has worked a year until today.

It says Unidentified network and when i do ipconfig it says:

IPv4 Adress : 169.254.162.49
Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway : (blank)

When i try to ipconfig /renew it says :
An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server.
No operation can be performed on wireless network connection while it has its media disconnected.

Also tried disable IPv6 - System Restore to yesterday, Restarting modem and try with other ports and the other cable, downloading drivers for my network card.

please help me


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Sep 2010   #2
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Did you try ipconfig /release
and then ipconfig /renew

Some viruses can also wreak havoc, so scan away.

What if you reboot into safe mode with network connection?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2010   #3
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LinusT View Post
Hi, Yesterday i was online as normal but today when i got home from school i had no connection at all.

Been searching for 3 hours and trying everything to get it to work but no success at all. The other computer in the house has connection and it works perfect on that computer.

Both of the computers are wired to a modem.
I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on the computer that it doesnt work. The same connection at my home has worked a year until today.

It says Unidentified network and when i do ipconfig it says:

IPv4 Adress : 169.254.162.49
Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway : (blank)

When i try to ipconfig /renew it says :
An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server.
No operation can be performed on wireless network connection while it has its media disconnected.

Also tried disable IPv6 - System Restore to yesterday, Restarting modem and try with other ports and the other cable, downloading drivers for my network card.

please help me
You will want to reset your router. Do not disable IPv6.

As it stands you aren't recieving an IP from your router via DHCP so it will need to be reset by holding down the small hidden button on the router, usually it's hiding inside a small hole on the side of your router. Resetting the router is the easiest fix for this type of problem and it happens all the time.

There is usually a certain procedure for this depending on the router.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Sep 2010   #4
LinusT

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Yes i tried release then renew.. No success. Just tried in Safe mode with network.

Still Unidentified network and same as before..

gonna try scan for virus
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2010   #5
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Unidentified network Hmmm never heard of that one before LOL, joking because it happens here on a daily basis.

Do you by any chance have anything from apple installed like Itunes or perhaps adobe photo suite?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2010   #6
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

You can try Chev65's suggestion, or first "power down/power up" your router. But I don't know how that would explain one wired pc getting an ip while the other does not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2010   #7
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Unidentified network Hmmm never heard of that one before LOL. Do you by any chance have anything from apple installed like Itunes or perhaps adobe photo suite?
Come on Chev65, what do you have against little innocent "bonjour"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2010   #8
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
You can try Chev65's suggestion, or first "power down/power up" your router. But I don't know how that would explain one wired pc getting an ip while the other does not.
Don't know how it's possible but it happens, I've even had wired but no wireless before and resets have fixed that also.

Of course that old bonjour problem could be rearing it's ugly head again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2010   #9
LinusT

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Ive seen the Bonjour issue. I had Bonjour and followed a guide to remove it and its nothing left of it on my computer. I haven't got itunes. just Photoshop and adobe reader. hmm.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2010   #10
LinusT

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Also just reset the router and still back to the same.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Suddenly no Internet connection




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
USB internet connection works, Ethernet internet connection does not
OK. I'm trying to switch from wireless to a faster(?) ethernet cable based internet access. I use a Dell Optiplex 755, 32 bit OS, Windows 7. I'm the utilizing Comcast high speed internet supplier, a LinkSys E4200 wireless router, a LinkSys WUMC710 (wireless-ac universal media connector; with...
Network & Sharing
Internet Connection Suddenly Stops When I Download Files
Sorry for my bad english... Before a week i upgrade my hdd from 300Gb to a newer at 500Gb and i add a 4 GB RAM , now totally i have 6GB Ram I install Windows 7 Ultimate x64bit I install all drivers properly but i have a problem , when i download files after some minutes the internet connection...
Network & Sharing
suddenly lost printer connection but still have internet
DV6700US seems to have lost the wireless network connection. A sudden failure to print gave me a printer offline message. My iMac printed fine, then I realized my iMac could not see the laptop and the laptop could not see the iMac nor printer, but still has internet connection on the laptop. I now...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 suddenly killed my internet connection.
Wheter or not this is the right section to post this in, I desperatly need some help. Yesterday, I was playing an online game (minecraft) but that doesn't really matter, does it? Sudenly my internet connection dropped away, it doesn't even show the name of my router anymore. The name of the router...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 internet connection is suddenly very slow
++Fixed, see final post I've been using Win7 for about 2 months now, and all has been going well until 2 nights ago. I noticed that my browsing speeds were very slow, so I just assumed it was my network, and went on about my business. Tonight I fired it up, and ran into the same thing. I...
Browsers & Mail
Suddenly no internet connection
Evening All I've had no previous connection issues since I installed 7 Pro a couple of weeks ago. Now suddenly it I'm unable to connect to the internet/ email I can see the other PC's on our home network and they can connect to the net hence this email, All PC's are connected through a Belkin...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:19.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App