Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: DNS not working


07 Oct 2010   #1

Windows Home Premium 64bit
 
 
DNS not working

I'm having a problem connecting my 2 laptops (Acer Aspire with Windows 7 Home, HP Pavillion with WinXP Prof) to the internet. Spent 90 minutes on the phone with RoadRunner and they concluded that because everything appeared to be working fine with the modem, the problem must be on my end (even though the problem started at the same time for both laptops) and I'll be charged for the service call.

It looks like the internet is working fine - RoadRunner's tests say I'm connected and when I tried pinging the DNS values for Google.com and Yahoo.com, everything works but I get error messages when I try the actual domain name. This happens both with and without the firewall and when Avira is not running. Tried flushing the DNS cache numerous times, using OpenDNS, and wiping the browser cache but still no internet. I've also tried this wired and wireless (ASUS WL-520GU). I'm going to try the GoogleDNS when I have a chance but don't have much hope for that.

Because I'm having the problem with both computers, I can't believe that two laptops magically crapped out at the same time, but also don't want to pay for the service call. Any ideas on what might be wrong or what else I can try?

Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Oct 2010   #2

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Can you ping 74.125.19.99? If you put that address in your web browser do you go to google? If so then you do have a DNS problem. If not you have another issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #3

Windows Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Can you ping 74.125.19.99? If you put that address in your web browser do you go to google? If so then you do have a DNS problem. If not you have another issue.
Yes, may not have explained that properly in my original post. Typing in the numeric address works, typing in the 'human' domain name does not. One of the RR service reps I spoke with had me try to ping both Google.com and Yahoo.com, and I was able to reach both home pages, but when trying the regular domain name, I received an error that the request had timed out.

Also, I have this same problem whether I use the 'automatically detect DNS' setting or use the OpenDNS. Haven't had a chance to try GoogleDNS or any of the others.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Oct 2010   #4

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fml2002 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Can you ping 74.125.19.99? If you put that address in your web browser do you go to google? If so then you do have a DNS problem. If not you have another issue.
Yes, may not have explained that properly in my original post. Typing in the numeric address works, typing in the 'human' domain name does not. One of the RR service reps I spoke with had me try to ping both Google.com and Yahoo.com, and I was able to reach both home pages, but when trying the regular domain name, I received an error that the request had timed out.

Also, I have this same problem whether I use the 'automatically detect DNS' setting or use the OpenDNS. Haven't had a chance to try GoogleDNS or any of the others.
OK, I just wanted to make sure it is a DNS issue. The above in RED I don't understand. What do you mean by regular domain name. google.com and yahoo.com are regular domain names???

Would you post your ipconfig /all from at least 2 machines? -WS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #5

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

This does sound like a DNS issue. The fact that 2 laptops fail to connect correctly would seem to eliminate a hardware issue with themselves. If using a router, have you tried setting the DNS addresses there?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #6

Windows Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
OK, I just wanted to make sure it is a DNS issue. The above in RED I don't understand. What do you mean by regular domain name. google.com and yahoo.com are regular domain names???

Would you post your ipconfig /all from at least 2 machines? -WS
Sorry, I would say that I have a better than average understanding of basic computing, but of this, I understand very little. I only meant that when I did as you suggested, ping 74.125.19.99, the Google homepage loaded with no problem, but when I actually typed 'google.com' into the address bar, that's when I receive an error message.

I won't be able to get home to post that info until sometime tonight (there's a McDonalds nearby, hopefully they have WIFI). Please let me know if there's any other info that might help.

Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #7

Windows Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
This does sound like a DNS issue. The fact that 2 laptops fail to connect correctly would seem to eliminate a hardware issue with themselves. If using a router, have you tried setting the DNS addresses there?
But if the problem is with settings on the router, then shouldn't I be able to access the internet when connected directly to the modem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #8

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Try these addresses: BBC - Homepage and 212.58.246.92. They should both take you to the BBC home page. If you can only get through using the numerical IP address, then it points to a DNS problem somewhere along the line. Once at the BBC site, can you navigate there by following the links?

Try this both through your router and then connected directly to your modem bypassing the router. Do you get the same results whichever method is used?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #9

Windows Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Now try these addresses: BBC - Homepage and 212.58.246.92. They should both take you to the BBC home page. If you can only get through using the numerical IP address, then it points to a DNS problem somewhere along the line. Once at the BBC site, can you navigate there by following the links?
I can try that one as well when I get home this evening but as I understand things, seems like that would have the same result as 74.125.19.99 getting me to Google's homepage but typing 'google.com' doing nothing. I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fml2002 View Post
I'm having a problem connecting my 2 laptops (Acer Aspire with Windows 7 Home, HP Pavillion with WinXP Prof) to the internet. Spent 90 minutes on the phone with RoadRunner and they concluded that because everything appeared to be working fine with the modem, the problem must be on my end (even though the problem started at the same time for both laptops) and I'll be charged for the service call.

It looks like the internet is working fine - RoadRunner's tests say I'm connected and when I tried pinging the DNS values for Google.com and Yahoo.com, everything works but I get error messages when I try the actual domain name. This happens both with and without the firewall and when Avira is not running. Tried flushing the DNS cache numerous times, using OpenDNS, and wiping the browser cache but still no internet. I've also tried this wired and wireless (ASUS WL-520GU). I'm going to try the GoogleDNS when I have a chance but don't have much hope for that.

Because I'm having the problem with both computers, I can't believe that two laptops magically crapped out at the same time, but also don't want to pay for the service call. Any ideas on what might be wrong or what else I can try?

Thanks!
I believe that Avira is causing this DNS problem. The post below explains the problem with Avira.
OpenDNS Community > Forums > Avira auto update doesn't work with OpenDNS :-(
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 DNS not working




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33