Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Change WiFi Settings: Home vs Travelling


20 Oct 2010   #1
OldDogEyes

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
Change WiFi Settings: Home vs Travelling

Howdy,

I am looking for a simple way to manage two or three sets of "WiFi settings" ...

Example: When at home, I want to have a static IP address for my WiFi connection. When at the office, I want to let the server set the IP address and DNS. And when I am travelling I may want a 3rd configuration.

Does Windows 7 have any built-in support for this type of WiFi management? I looked at Profiles in the "Manager Wireless Networks" screen, but that doesn't appear to be referring to what I am wanting to control.

If W7 doesn't have this built-in, can anyone recommend a good, freeware, simple and safe utility/app to do this type of management?

On my Android phone I have a simple app that monitors my location based on cell towers and when I get within a certain distance of my home, turns on the WiFi radio and when I leave that area it turns it back off to save power.

If what I'm trying to do could be triggered automatically that would be great, but unlike my Android phone, my laptop doesn't have any way to know where I am... Does it?

BTW, I did look in the tutorials section before posting but didn't see anything related to this in the networking section. I also searched the forums and didn't find anything with the terms that I used.

Thanks...
Doug


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Oct 2010   #2
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

You need to go to "Manage Wireless Networks"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2010   #3
OldDogEyes

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Ok and then what? I know how to make the changes manually... how do I save one group of settings for home and a different set for away from home?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Oct 2010   #4
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2010   #5
Barman58

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 x3 + Windows 10 Preview, Ubuntu
 
 

As for the fixed IP for home use - what I do is set up my router to always assign a specific IP to eacgh of my mobile devices (based on MAC addresses), so I can leave my device on auto but get a specific IP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2010   #6
OldDogEyes

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
Ok thanks for posting that link. But it said nothing relating to the question that I asked. Did you read my question?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2010   #7
OldDogEyes

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
As for the fixed IP for home use - what I do is set up my router to always assign a specific IP to eacgh of my mobile devices (based on MAC addresses), so I can leave my device on auto but get a specific IP.
I will have to see if my router (Netgear wgr614v8) has that capability. Does that feature have a name?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2010   #8
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OldDogEyes View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
Ok thanks for posting that link. But it said nothing relating to the question that I asked. Did you read my question?
Surprisingly, I did. One thought was to create two different wireless network profile types, one for work and one for home. Or was that not related to what you asked?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2010   #9
Barman58

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 x3 + Windows 10 Preview, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OldDogEyes View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
As for the fixed IP for home use - what I do is set up my router to always assign a specific IP to eacgh of my mobile devices (based on MAC addresses), so I can leave my device on auto but get a specific IP.
I will have to see if my router (Netgear wgr614v8) has that capability. Does that feature have a name?

It's a function of the DHCP server in the router, and should be available as address reservation or similar - unfortunately it seems that every manufacturer has it's own name for things, but, I have seen the function on all routers I've seen over recent years
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2010   #10
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OldDogEyes View Post
Howdy,

I am looking for a simple way to manage two or three sets of "WiFi settings" ...

Example: When at home, I want to have a static IP address for my WiFi connection. When at the office, I want to let the server set the IP address and DNS. And when I am travelling I may want a 3rd configuration.

Does Windows 7 have any built-in support for this type of WiFi management? I looked at Profiles in the "Manager Wireless Networks" screen, but that doesn't appear to be referring to what I am wanting to control.

If W7 doesn't have this built-in, can anyone recommend a good, freeware, simple and safe utility/app to do this type of management?

On my Android phone I have a simple app that monitors my location based on cell towers and when I get within a certain distance of my home, turns on the WiFi radio and when I leave that area it turns it back off to save power.

If what I'm trying to do could be triggered automatically that would be great, but unlike my Android phone, my laptop doesn't have any way to know where I am... Does it?

BTW, I did look in the tutorials section before posting but didn't see anything related to this in the networking section. I also searched the forums and didn't find anything with the terms that I used.

Thanks...
Doug
You can list your connections in the advanced TCP/IP properties window. This window allows you to use different subnets, IP's, default gateways, dns servers and so on. You can type the parimeters for each connection into the list.


Attached Thumbnails
-advanced-tcp-ip-settings.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Change WiFi Settings: Home vs Travelling




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Change WiFi Settings: Home vs Travelling
Thread Forum
New laptop, can't connect to wifi at home but can at school Network & Sharing
Limited access to home wifi Network & Sharing
[HELP] NAS on home network through wifi.. Network & Sharing
Having issues connecting to home wifi...help! Network & Sharing
Wifi Card, Router, or Settings issue? Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App