Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: My Ip Address Keeps On Changing!! Help

31 Oct 2010   #1
Xnefoo

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 
My Ip Address Keeps On Changing!! Help

Hey guys i have a problem here im trying to host some gaming servers but my ip keeps on changing. Can you help me to make it stop changing ? Im using a WRT54GL linksys router.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Oct 2010   #2
Barman58

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 x2 + Windows 10, Ubuntu
 
 

If it is an internal IP generated by the router you can usually set the router to always assign the same IP based on the hardware address (MAC Address), which would then allow you to serve on your local network.

Check you router manual / help for reserved addresses or similar

If you need to fix your external IP that is supplied by your ISP to serve to users on the internet then you will have to talk to your ISP about changing to a fixed IP, which they will normally do for an extra charge - you will also need to forward any required ports in your router - Again check the manual for particular instructions for your router
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2010   #3
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

To add to Barman58 post, many cable companies do not like static addressing because they DO NOT want you to run a server out of your home. Check your ISP rules and policies before you call them, I have seen them disconnect people just for asking about servers, that is in extreme cases but it has happened.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Oct 2010   #4
Xnefoo

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
If it is an internal IP generated by the router you can usually set the router to always assign the same IP based on the hardware address (MAC Address), which would then allow you to serve on your local network.

Check you router manual / help for reserved addresses or similar

If you need to fix your external IP that is supplied by your ISP to serve to users on the internet then you will have to talk to your ISP about changing to a fixed IP, which they will normally do for an extra charge - you will also need to forward any required ports in your router - Again check the manual for particular instructions for your router
How do i find my ip provided by the isp. If it has something to do with going to a website like cmyip.com , thats how i found out about my ip changing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2010   #5
Xnefoo

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
To add to Barman58 post, many cable companies do not like static addressing because they DO NOT want you to run a server out of your home. Check your ISP rules and policies before you call them, I have seen them disconnect people just for asking about servers, that is in extreme cases but it has happened.
hmm i'll definetly ask my isp if i can get a static ip.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2010   #6
Xnefoo

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

ok i checked my internet plan and it says ip addressing: Dynamic . WOuld that chang anything?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2010   #7
Barman58

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 x2 + Windows 10, Ubuntu
 
 

If you do talk to your IP the reason is for accessing your files at home from remote locations, not for running a server.

With regards to port forwarding have a read of this site for a full explanation of the concpts and reasons plus step by step instructions for most routers

PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model

PS Dynamic means that it is liable to change at regular random intervals which allows the provider to service more customers than the number of IPs it has available due to the fact that all the users will not be all on-line at the same time.

a Static address is not liked by the provider as it takes one address from the pool they have available, which is why the tend to charge extra if they allow it at all
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2010   #8
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Xnefoo View Post
ok i checked my internet plan and it says ip addressing: Dynamic . WOuld that chang anything?
Dynamic means your IP Address can change.

Try: What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more...

To see what your current IP address is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2010   #9
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
If you do talk to your IP the reason is for accessing your files at home from remote locations, not for running a server.

With regards to port forwarding have a read of this site for a full explanation of the concpts and reasons plus step by step instructions for most routers

PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model
+1 great idea!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2010   #10
Xnefoo

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
If you do talk to your IP the reason is for accessing your files at home from remote locations, not for running a server.

With regards to port forwarding have a read of this site for a full explanation of the concpts and reasons plus step by step instructions for most routers

PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model
Ok thank you !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 My Ip Address Keeps On Changing!! Help




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
changing the size of the address bar in IE9?
I am wondering if there is a way to condense the address bar in IE9? It's two rows by defualt. I'd prefer it to be one. Any thought's?
Browsers & Mail
Stop client from changing nstatic IP address
Is it possible to stop someone changing their IP address, or setting their system to DHCP? I have ACLs defined and somone is changing their IP address to get around the rules. This only applies to one rogue person who just won't play by the rules, so I'd prefer not to make everyone suffer because...
Network & Sharing
Changing my ISP IP Address?
Well the reason why is because i share (well used to share) internet with my neighbors ever since they got me banned on stickam (ip banned). I go to stickam to hangout and meet people on the internet for fun. And there was a feature called "Shuffle", where you randomly meet someone who is using...
Network & Sharing
Changing MAC address in windows 7
Hi there, I m a new windows 7 user. I have got a windows 7 professional edition. I have updated my pc from win XP. But i m confused how can i change the mac address of my wireless lan. It's vendor is Broadcom and drivers are installed automatically by windows 7. Previous version of windows i...
Network & Sharing
changing mac address?
how do i change my mac address. i have windows 7 with a 32 bit op system.
Network & Sharing
Changing mac address airlive WT-2000pci
Hi. I'm having problem with my airlive WT-2000pci wireless card. I want to change mac address/network address under windows 7 x64bit 7600rtm but with no luck. I'm using latest official drivers for 64bit vista, I have even tried older drivers but nothing helps. When I log onto windows XP i can...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:02.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App