Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Resetting Winsock Protocol

12 Nov 2010   #1

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 
Resetting Winsock Protocol

Ever since I got my 7 Pro x86 laptop in Dec 09 I've experienced periodic loss of Internet connectivity, usually a couple of times a month. My computer is connected to an external modem provided by AT&T, no router, no home network. The modem has been tested by two different AT&T repair centers and no problems were noted. Even so I bought another modem and connectivity is still regularly lost. My laptop is wired like this AT&T diagram:

Attachment 113514

Based on my own research I've found that one possible cause of network connectivity problems is the mis-configuration or the corruption of the Winsock protocol (network drivers) on the 7 computer. (Prior to getting the 7 laptop I was using an XP Pro machine. I never had any connectivity issues with it.) Per Microsoft, this protocol is used by Windows to communicate with other computers and to access resources on the Internet, such as e-mail and Web sites. If there is a problem with Winsock, Windows will no longer be able to access the Internet. The recommended Microsoft fix is:

1. Run elevated command prompt.
2. Type netsh winsock reset > ENTER:
3. The following message should be seen: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset."
4. Restart computer.

Another elevated command prompt that has been suggested is:
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit
So far I have not tred this because netsh winsock reset has been able to restore my Internet connectivity.

FWIW, all drivers are the lastest versions, no malware on computer (connectivity issue has occured in the past even after a clean install of OS), device manager shows no problems including ethernet drivers and network adapters, all cables have been swapped out including the filter, and the only event log entry of any substance was a warning: "Name resolution for the name dns.msftncsi.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded" after latest loss of connectivity a couple of hours ago.

My questions are:
1. What exactly is happening when I enter the netsh winsock reset command?
2. Why would my Internet connectivity / network drivers fail so often? Does it sound more like an ISP issue or a computer issue?
3. Any recommended diagnostic checks to better pinpoint what is happening and why?

If this is posted in the wrong section I apologize.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Nov 2010   #2
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Try registering your DNS by opening an elevated command prompt and typing:

ipconfig /flushdns .... press enter
ipconfig /registerdns .... press enter

Also, can you update the firmware on AT&T's Modem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2010   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Try registering your DNS by opening an elevated command prompt and typing:

ipconfig /flushdns .... press enter
ipconfig /registerdns .... press enter

Also, can you update the firmware on AT&T's Modem?
On previous occasions when I've lost connectivity I tried flushing/registering DNS. It didn't help to restore connectivity and there were no errors in the event viewer after the requisite 15 minute waiting period. According to AT&T repair center the latest firmware is installed on both modems (original and spare) as of Sep 2010 when I took the original modem in and purchased the spare.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Nov 2010   #4
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

What Anti-virus software and Firewall are you running? You may have a conflict there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2010   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
What Anti-virus software and Firewall are you running? You may have a conflict there.
MSE and Windows firewall.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2010   #6

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

1) Windows sockets configuration (Winsock) can get corrupted for various reasons such as installation of networking software, or malware infection, or even by security apps. When Winsock corrupts, you'll run into networking errors like "Page cannot be displayed” error messages.

What netsh winsock reset command does is to reset the Winsock Catalog to a clean state or default configuration. It removes all Winsock LSP (Layered Service Providers) previously installed, including the potential malfunctioning LSP that causes loss of network packets transmission failure. So all previously-installed LSPs must be reinstalled. This command does not affect Winsock Name Space Provider entries.

To check which LSPs are installed, use netsh winsock show catalog command.

2) For your connectivity problems, I think you need to explore alternate drivers. Also, if you have a spare NIC, test with that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

The TCP/ip stack can also be corrupted and fixed with the command below.

It's a 4 layer stack and can get messed up sometimes although if you are losing internet randomly and you can't make changes to your modem-router then about the only other thing you can do is try another network driver for your machine.
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (reset TCP/IP stack)

http://support.dell.com/support/down...nConsent=False

My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2010   #8
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

If the above still doesn't work, you may have a program that's trying to connect to the Internet and causing the 'time out'. Bonjour?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2010   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
1) Windows sockets configuration (Winsock) can get corrupted for various reasons such as installation of networking software, or malware infection, or even by security apps. When Winsock corrupts, you'll run into networking errors like "Page cannot be displayed” error messages.

What netsh winsock reset command does is to reset the Winsock Catalog to a clean state or default configuration. It removes all Winsock LSP (Layered Service Providers) previously installed, including the potential malfunctioning LSP that causes loss of network packets transmission failure. So all previously-installed LSPs must be reinstalled. This command does not affect Winsock Name Space Provider entries.

To check which LSPs are installed, use netsh winsock show catalog command.

2) For your connectivity problems, I think you need to explore alternate drivers. Also, if you have a spare NIC, test with that.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
The TCP/ip stack can also be corrupted and fixed with the command below.

It's a 4 layer stack and can get messed up sometimes although if you are losing internet randomly and you can't make changes to your modem-router then about the only other thing you can do is try another network driver for your machine.
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (reset TCP/IP stack)
Drivers & Downloads

Read more: http://windows7themes.net/repair-reset-winsock-windows-7.html#ixzz15B58tLUR
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
If the above still doesn't work, you may have a program that's trying to connect to the Internet and causing the 'time out'. Bonjour?
@Bill - Thanks for the info, Bill. I think understand Windsock a lot better now. Unfortunately I don't have a spare NIC. I ran the "show catalog" command and there were 17 LSPs listed and called things like: Base Service Provider, Network Location Awareness Legacy, Tcpip, NTDS, E-mail Naming Shim Provider, PNRP Cloud Namespace Provider, PNRP Name Namespace Provider, mdnsNSP, WindowsLive NSP, and WindowsLive Local NSP. Do you see any red flags here?

@Rob - Appreciate the links. I double-checked Dell support for any updated drivers and I have the latest installed.

@jacee - Your comment about a program trying to connect to the Internet got me thinking. I don't have Bonjour (no iTunes or any other Apple apps that might need it) but doesn't MSE call home via Microsoft SpyNet? I'm running MSE 2.0 beta. Have you heard of any issues involving SpyNet?

@All - I apologize for not responding sooner. Had to take care of some personal things. Appreciate your comments and suggestions. This problem occurs so infrequently it's really hard to troubleshoot. I don't get any advance warnings that something is wrong until I try to go to a website and I realize I lost Internet connectivity. Should I just get into the habit of clearing the Winsock Catalog and TCP/IP Stack whenever I shut down my laptop?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

@All - I apologize for not responding sooner. Had to take care of some personal things. Appreciate your comments and suggestions. This problem occurs so infrequently it's really hard to troubleshoot. I don't get any advance warnings that something is wrong until I try to go to a website and I realize I lost Internet connectivity. Should I just get into the habit of clearing the Winsock Catalog and TCP/IP Stack whenever I shut down my laptop?

You should not need to clear winsock or reset the TCP/ip stack at every shut down, clearly there is an underlying problem. There are no magic buttons in Windows 7 that fix networking problems.

If you really want help with this problem then post a screen shot of your ipconfig /all here the next time you lose the connection and I will see if I can find a problem. This procedure has worked for me over 600 times to solve problems and I can assure you that your network problem is no different than anyone else's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Resetting Winsock Protocol




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Resetting Winsock Protocol
Thread Forum
Solved i believe my winsock may be corrupt Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Locking up, winsock reset is only fix General Discussion
Problem after Winsock reset Network & Sharing
SNA protocol Network & Sharing
Accidental winsock reset removed custom startup image Customization
Losing network connection, winsock memory problem? Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33